Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Like I replied in a different thread on the main boards a while back...

Chevy's new draft interview questions to identify someone who would be willing to spend their carreer here:

1. What's the biggest walleye you've ever caught?
2. Can you take out your phone and show me a picture of you with the biggest buck you've ever shot?
'How many people have you stabbed'

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
According to Scott Billeck on WST today, he said he was told Perfetti was not involved in any deal with the Canes. And he believes the reason the deal didn’t happen is because Necas won’t re-sign in Winnipeg.

This makes a lot more sense to me. Perfetti + McGroarty + Pick for Necas, regardless if he’s on a 2-year deal or long term extension, is a massive overpay and fireable offense for Chevy.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That would be a great skit actually... the scouting interview - just like dead pan questions from Chevy...
'You got any change?'
'You think you're better than me?'
'Laurie Mustard - tv personality or condiment'
"You got it park Pontiac. Am I right?'
'Do you think human rights are important'
'If I left the sofa making machine on, what would you do?'
'Your thoughts on Christopher Robin.'
'Rae or Jerry. You can only save one.'

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
According to Scott Billeck on WST today, he said he was told Perfetti was not involved in any deal with the Canes. And he believes the reason the deal didn’t happen is because Necas won’t re-sign in Winnipeg.

This makes a lot more sense to me. Perfetti + McGroarty + Pick for Necas, regardless if he’s on a 2-year deal or long term extension, is a massive overpay and fireable offense for Chevy.
Yeah that rumour never made sense. Necas just doesn’t have enough value even signed long term for the Jets to give up that kind of return.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Makes far more sense.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
If any of these rumours are true, Im most surprised about the McMichael for McGro deal falling through... maybe his reps really have identified only one or two teams he will play for
If he only has 2 preferred landing spots then I hope Chevy lets him rot for 2 more years. Better that than getting pennies on the dollar value....and if he rots at least a second round pick is worth something.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Seravalli who put out that the Jets offered top prospects Rutger McGroarty and Cole Perfetti, along with a draft pick, to lure Necas to the Jets.... Now believes the deal fell through for one of two reasons:

Insufficient Trade Package: The Hurricanes may have simply deemed the Jets’ offer inadequate for a player of Necas’ caliber and potential. Necas, at 25 years old, has shown flashes of brilliance and is on the cusp of becoming a premier NHL forward. Carolina may have been holding out for a more substantial return.

Necas’ Reluctance to Commit Long-Term: Another possibility is that Necas himself wasn’t ready to ink a long-term extension with Winnipeg. Players often have a say in their destination, especially when significant contract negotiations are on the horizon. If Necas had reservations about the Jets’ long-term plans or fit, it could have been a dealbreaker.

As far as the Long-term commitment.... IMO I don't think it had anything to do with the Jets plans...I believe that Necas wants to get to UFA status ASAP. And because of this, no team would trade for him because he wouldn't sign long-term anywhere. Signing a bridge deal is the quickest way to become a UFA.
If that offer was indeed made (which I doubt) and deemed insufficient by Carolina then their GM is on crack.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

This makes a lot more sense to me, as it's much too early to be trading Perfetti, when you don't really know what his potential is yet. I don't think the Jets are looking to trade him.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Anyone else loving the budding bromance between buffdog and wolfie?
5oc_Q-.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Year before trade:
PLD 0.86 ppg at 25 years old. Primary C plus big grit intangibles.

Necas 0.69 ppg (nice) at 25 years old. Primary Winger.

Seeing what PLD got and that supposed package that the Jets offered idk if it's so outlandish? PLD had higher value at the time I'd say given his stats, intangibles plus position so he returned more than that proposed WPG/CAR package.

My assumption tho is that "draft pick" is not a 1st, otherwise it would've been stated given a 1st is the highest tier. I also think there's a possibility Mcgroartys value may just be pretty minimal at this point.

I'm guessing it fell through bc of the long term extension, which is essentially a quasi ntc now.

That offer would be too much if the value of McGro is the 2nd we would get in compensation and the pick was a 7th.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. Hence why I'd expect PLD to return more, which he did compared to the Wpg/canes package. Caught me before the edit there haha.

I think you are overrating the PLD return. Iafallo and Kupari don't add up to much and Vilardi is still brittle. The return was good, especially considering PLD in LA last year and his contract. But it was not stellar.

Necas' value is only in that realm if he is signed long term and he is a C, which appears unlikely.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think you are overrating the PLD return. Iafallo and Kupari don't add up to much and Vilardi is still brittle. The return was good, especially considering PLD in LA last year and his contract. But it was not stellar.

Necas' value is only in that realm if he is signed long term and he is a C, which appears unlikely.
Has nothing to do with the post. It's at the time of the trade, not what they did post trade. PLD wasn't traded as 0.5 ppg player and Iafallo wasn't traded as a 0.3 ppg player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Ducky10

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Or maybe we're all on Crack thinking McGrorty still actually has any value!

And Necas apparently doesn't want us!
Putting a current value on McGroarty is difficult IMO. He was a mid 1st round pick with some nice intangibles. Now he is still a decent mid round pick but any of the favourable intangibles are likely out the window. Not only that his camp may now have annoyed several GMs through this process and his mid 1st round value has taken a hit. I think it is very likely Chevy now has a diminished asset on his hands.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Putting a current value on McGroarty is difficult IMO. He was a mid 1st round pick with some nice intangibles. Now he is still a decent mid round pick but any of the favourable intangibles are likely out the window. Not only that his camp may now have annoyed several GMs through this process and his mid 1st round value has taken a hit. I think it is very likely Chevy now has a diminished asset on his hands.

Yeah, if the rumblings are true that he's turned down other teams he's likely not viewed that favorably arm.

At this point if I'm Chevy I hold onto him into the season. Cost the kid a million bucks and see if he's more receptive during the season/next summer.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

With respect to the PLD return, don't discount the effect of being rid of a malcontent. That alone makes the trade worthwhile. Additionally it should be considered that Chevy got that return with his back against the wall (again, though not of his own doing this time).

Kupari I'd agree didn't add up to much, though he's not appreciably different from any of the 4th liners we've grabbed off waivers over the years. He'll amount to something or won't.

Iafallo I thought was quite a good utility player for the Jets over the length of the season, waning towards the tail end though. I'd contend he's better than a lot of the 4th liners we've run in the history of Jets 2.0. He also adequately moved up the lineup at times.

Vilardi agreed still brittle, but time may resolve that. I'll take his performance alone over PLD for this past season somewhat negating the relative importance of Kupari and Iafallo as adds in the trade anyway.

We also always forget the draft pick that came in the draft - Alfons Freij who seemed to impress a little more than expected at rookie camp for a #37 pick. Add in the delicious aspect that it was Montreal's pick after hearing all the "we gonna get PLD for free" for over a year and it adds some nice spice to the trade. Kid might turn out to be a very sneaky pickup though he clearly won't likely be in the league for 3-4 years.

Finally cap space. Sure, PLD may yet turn into the dynamic power center that earns his salary, but that remains to be seen. We're left with a hole at 2C (or 1C depending on your perspective) but we're also not paying Unhappy Dubois $8 million.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Has nothing to do with the post. It's at the time of the trade, not what they did post trade. PLD wasn't traded as 0.5 ppg player and Iafallo wasn't traded as a 0.3 ppg player.

What PLD did after the trade only reinforces the value of moving him. No, it obviously does not represent what LAK expected to get.

Iafallo was a bit of a disappointment last year but his value was not huge at the time of the trade either. And I forgot to mention the pick we got. Like I said, a good trade. But the main piece coming back was Vilardi. And injury continues to be a problem with him. It reduces his value and was well known at the time of the trade.

True, but he was a mid 1s rd pick whose value appeared to be on the rise until he/his camp went off the rails.

It is hard to assess what his value might be now. Certainly less than it was but how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium