Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
yeah sign demelo for 4.9m to put him on third pair and heinola of all players as a top pair dman.

1.25m x 2 years doesn't scream to me as a PB deal. folks are putting colin miller in their lineups who signed a v similar deal. im guessing, stanley has the inside track for 3ld.
Oh no, perhaps I premised it wrong. I don't expect Heinola to be a f/t top 4 d-man. But realistically with the lineup the Jets have if they are down a goal or two and pressing they would be looking for offense...There may be times when they push that Morrissey-Heinola button looking for defensemen who can generate offense, though in reflection it would probably be Heinola-Pionk together, keeping Morrissey and Melo together.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Fleury has some good defensive numbers the last few years and some toughness, I wonder if he'd be a better partner than Miller for Heinola.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
yeah sign demelo for 4.9m to put him on third pair and heinola of all players as a top pair dman.

1.25m x 2 years doesn't scream to me as a PB deal. folks are putting colin miller in their lineups who signed a v similar deal. im guessing, stanley has the inside track for 3ld.
It might just be Chevy hedging his bets.

I think we all fully expect Ville to come into camp and clearly show he deserves a spot, but what if he stumbles?

I think we have 5 guys fighting for 4 spots (5-8) with the lost getting waived and potentially ending up on the Moose.

I'm glad we restocked our depth, as we all know well need it as the season goes along.

I'm actually pretty curious to see how it all shakes out.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Why? Statistically he is close to Ehlers and is 3 years younger. Canes would have to add a bit, and you would want some sort of extension.
What's his D numbers compared to Ehlers?
Canes' fans are saying he is horrible defensively.
Also, one of his complaints is that he wants to play center.
The Canes could use a center yet they don't play him there...why is that?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers is only worth so much. No one on the Canes has bad defensive numbers. And since when is wanting to play center a bad thing? We need a number 2. Ehlers is also a perimeter player who historically disappeares in the playoffs. It is not like we are moving a league top winger.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Ehlers is only worth so much. No one on the Canes has bad defensive numbers. And since when is wanting to play center a bad thing? We need a number 2. Ehlers is also a perimeter player who historically disappeares in the playoffs. It is not like we are moving a league top winger.
Agreed - they seem very much like the same player - both apt to freelancing within systems that dont want freelancing... I do remember talk about Necas for Laine before the PLD trade so Chevy must see something in him

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I had the most vivid dream last night we traded Ehlers, Pionk for Laine, Jenner. Ehlers and Laine had both requested trades to those teams but it was so they could play with each other. Best they got was a hug at the airport and both were pissed. Had to check the news this morning it was so real.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if both ehlers and necas are in the 7M+ range (& willing to sign here) id rather give ehlers that than necas

last 3 years player (team)
necas
5v5 +/-: +8 (+110)
xGF%: 53% (57%)
0.69 overall ppg, 1.86 5v5 pts/60

ehlers:
5v5 +/-: +56 (+62)
xGF%: 54% (51%)
0.81 overall ppg, 2.63 5v5 pts/60

not like necas is playing with crappy players either, and is on a team that scores a lot more than the Jets over that same timeframe. if necas was some illustrious 2c canes probably would have played him there id think rather than the likes of staal, stastny, kotaniemi?? bunch of mid players at this stage. also just gut feel, he doesn't seem like the play-style of centers the Jets typically covet.

i would not be surprised if ehlers is still on the roster to start the year. the Jets seldom trade out of their UFA-1s the off-season prior. fwds like ladd, copp, frolik, and dmen like buff, demelo, dillon, myers, chiarot all were on the roster to start their respective contract years. if the Jets are out of it at the tdl & there's no extension, yeah they'll move him.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hope they put Necas and his defensive acumen on a line with Connor and Schiefele lol
1720478667439.png

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
I haven't watched much of Necas. Seems like a lot of people don't want him wearing a Jets uni. What are the negatives about him? Is he soft? Does he cough up the puck? Selfish?.....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I haven't watched much of Necas. Seems like a lot of people don't want him wearing a Jets uni. What are the negatives about him? Is he soft? Does he cough up the puck? Selfish?.....
i wouldn't say don't want him wearing a Jets uni. personally don't think he's as good of a producer or impact player as ehlers & not worth him - if both are singing extensions.

wingers of his caliber are usually available in abundance every year usually at not some insurmountable cost either. idk if he has Top6 Center upside, the Canes certainly did not think so, & it's not like they had some strong center depth. Post-Trocheck Canes he couldn't beat out the likes of kotkaniemi, stastny, staal (after Aho). im also a bit wary if the Jets covet players of his play-style at center.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
I don't think they will go into the season with Ehlers unsigned the Andrew Ladd situation is probably the closest comparable but that team wasn't good and it was pretty obvious that they would be selling come deadline. If I had to guess the list with Nik goes something like.

Plan A- Extension
Plan B - Trade for RHD
Plan C - Trade for Forward
Plan D - Go into season as is

I'm sure Chevy is still working on plan A while also talking plans B/C to see what's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad