Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doesn't matter because he can just run out his last two RFA years in arbitration deals and then become a UFA. That's how Trouba and PLD forced their way out of Winnipeg.

So if the Jets or any other team acquires Necas and he doesn't want to sign long term he'll be a UFA in two seasons. He still has value, but not as much as if he signs long term.

I could see the Jets acquiring him at a somewhat reduced cost if he won't sign long term, keep him for a season and if he's still not interested in signing long term, trade him next off season. That's how they managed Trouba and PLD.

I get that. But the fact remains that he is not qualified for trade protection. He has the protection that goes with his situation.

If we got Necas at a somewhat reduced cost, as you say, and then flipped him after a year, that might not be too bad. It does mean going through this again next year but it might be the best way to reap the value from (presumably still) Ehlers. How do we reduce the cost of Necas? What do they need to add to achieve that?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
i will respect the sarcasm tag lol. but will use this as a jumping off point - not specifically directed at you

but imo if necas wants top line, center, pp1 etc like apparently was being claimed early in the off-season, it likely isn't happening here.
Who does Necas think he’s the McGroatster ?
You don’t call the shots buddy :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If anything I'd say Necas is more like what we are planning on Lambert developing into. Not to argue just how I see his play style as an outsider.

Feels redundant, and presumptuous that Necas would be planning on extending here.

I hope Lambert develops into a C, which Necas is not. If Lambert is a winger, I hope he is better defensively than Necas is. I think Lambert will be a better goal scorer. But Lambert has not even made the NHL yet, so time will tell.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not sure of the numbers but my impression was that they held their own when Vilardi was healthy.
35% expected goal share in 196 minutes at evens. A small sample size, but still a considerable downgrade from 81-55's usual shenanigans.

It's kind of ironic that the only current Jet who has gotten Scheifele and Connor to outperform their opposition on a line wears 27, and trading him would practically guarantee that the Connor-Scheifele pairing be kept intact. I guess there's hope with a new coach and all that, but I'm not holding my breath.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
What is the point of trading Ehlers for an Ehlers type player?
Jets need toughness ... maybe that's why they keep Stanley around.
Either get a power forward or tough RHD for Ehlers ... if you can't than re-sign him or wait until TDL.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Either get a power forward or tough RHD for Ehlers ... if you can't than re-sign him or wait until TDL.

Stanley is tough like when you played octopus tag in elementary school. He's so slow you just have to go around

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
35% expected goal share in 196 minutes at evens. A small sample size, but still a considerable downgrade from 81-55's usual shenanigans.

It's kind of ironic that the only current Jet who has gotten Scheifele and Connor to outperform their opposition on a line wears 27, and trading him would practically guarantee that the Connor-Scheifele pairing be kept intact. I guess there's hope with a new coach and all that, but I'm not holding my breath.
@Jack7222 please tell this poster what you told me about stats only being part of the picture

I'm gonna like having this guy as my assistant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The ONLY reason to be trading Ehlers is that Ehlers won't sign here, IMO.

Stanley is not tough. He is just big.

Reactions: hn777 and Flair Hay

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So do we think Chevy is working on someone, or are we about to head into summer break here for agents ans GMs?
I would think that a McGroarty trade would happen soon, if it's still on the docket. There is still time for McGroarty to sign and start the season with an NHL team, but unlikely that happens after late-July.

I wonder if Chevy has both Ehlers and McGroarty trades in discussion, but plans to only follow through with one of them. If he trades Ehlers, maybe McGroarty sees the opportunity with the Jets (unless that ship has sailed). Conversely, maybe Chevy is thinking that if he trades McGroarty, he'll focus on trying to re-sign Ehlers.

Trading both of them would be rather complicated at this point, I would think.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He has been adding more edge to his game. I think that is the direction he has been given. Let’s see what happens over the next year or 2.

Yes, it seems he has figured out that is what he needs to do to keep his job. Give him credit for being willing, I guess. But that meanness does not make him tough.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, it seems he has figured out that is what he needs to do to keep his job. Give him credit for being willing, I guess. But that meanness does not make him tough.
We will have to see how his game develops from here. Tough doesn’t really have an exact definition in terms of hockey. If he starts making forwards pay a physical price along the boards and net front that is as tough as we need him to be.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We will have to see how his game develops from here. Tough doesn’t really have an exact definition in terms of hockey. If he starts making forwards pay a physical price along the boards and net front that is as tough as we need him to be.

I actually liked his game the end of the year. He seemed to solidify himself as a mean third pairing dmen that played within himself more. I don't have an issue with that player on my team. Just not sure he will have the breakout support he needs unless Ville plays RD.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I actually liked his game the end of the year. He seemed to solidify himself as a mean third pairing dmen that played within himself more. I don't have an issue with that player on my team. Just not sure he will have the breakout support he needs unless Ville plays RD.
I don't know exactly what to expect with Chynoweth as a d-coach...I don't know if it was him or Van Ryn that ran the defense in Toronto, or both, but if you get big Stan hitting like Benoit was last year, that will change the way some teams play against us...

Stanley's signing kind of confirms my premise that the Jets want a PKer on the left side of the defense so Josh Morrissey doesn't have to take those reps. Heinola might find an easier way into the lineup on the right side, but the MIller signing could make some people happy because there is potential now to replace Pionk on the PK.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Necas is a useful player on a team like Carolina that is full of defensively sound players to surround him with to cover his warts. The Jets already have Scheifele and Connor though who already struggle bigtime with D. Adding Necas to a group that includes Scheifele and Connor is not a conducive recipe if the goal is winning the stanley cup.
Correct

Reactions: ps241

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You forgot Heinola. He is in for Stan playing with Miller.

I think Fleury and maybe Coghlan are ahead of Stanley.
I still don't know if Heinola is ahead of Stan...fans want Ville to better than him but he hasn't been.

I think the salary structure of the d-men is some indication of expected roles. I'd be surprised if Ville got more than $1 million given his lack of NHL experience/success.

Fleury is a nice backup for Stan in the same role. Hard to see him get demoted given the lack of depth on the left side.

Coghlan was a surprise but the org must like him...Maybe Chynoweth thinks he has tools to work with.

The right side of the Moose has Salomonsson, Lundmark (unless he bolts, because the road to the NHL looks harder), Barteaux is a regular on the Moose...And Tyrel Bauer is looking like he is moving down the depth chart

I see another move coming, just not sure where the org see the pieces fit.

If Heinola gets moved I could see these boards in a frenzy.

The funny part too is if the Jets carry 8 d, with Gustafsson and Kupari on the team, there's really not any room for young players to make the team, unless someone plays well enough to force the trade of an established player.

Reactions: Aries56

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I still don't know if Heinola is ahead of Stan...fans want Ville to better than him but he hasn't been.

I think the salary structure of the d-men is some indication of expected roles. I'd be surprised if Ville got more than $1 million given his lack of NHL experience/success.

Fleury is a nice backup for Stan in the same role. Hard to see him get demoted given the lack of depth on the left side.

Coghlan was a surprise but the org must like him...Maybe Chynoweth thinks he has tools to work with.

The right side of the Moose has Salomonsson, Lundmark (unless he bolts, because the road to the NHL looks harder), Barteaux is a regular on the Moose...And Tyrel Bauer is looking like he is moving down the depth chart

I see another move coming, just not sure where the org see the pieces fit.

If Heinola gets moved I could see these boards in a frenzy.

The funny part too is if the Jets carry 8 d, with Gustafsson and Kupari on the team, there's really not any room for young players to make the team, unless someone plays well enough to force the trade of an established player.
Ville won the job out of TC, unfortunately his injury was a season killer.
If he’s healthy he is better than Stanley.
The tall guy in his pursuit to be aggressive , puts himself out of position and is slower than a tax refund.
His play at the end of the season wasn’t long lasting, he had maybe 4/5 decent games but finished poorly.
As far as compensation, the lack of compensation does make perfect sense.
If Ville cannot stay healthy this season then sayonara.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad