Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What's the health of Chytil like in NY?

Ehlers extended for Chytil and Kakko? Feels like we need to add, but McGroarty would be too much.

Would you rather have Kakko or Laine as our big bodied right winger?
Not the players I would trade Ehlers for. Chytil is one hit away from retirement and Kakko is not better than our current bottom 6 wingers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt Necas signs long term with the Canes without strong trade protection. He wouldn't want to sign long term and then get traded somewhere he'd like to avoid. At this stage, he kind of controls his destination because he doesn't need to agree to a long term deal unless it's where he wants to play. Generally, players would rather not play in WPG, if they can avoid it.

He doesn't qualify for trade protection for 2 more years.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
As it stands, our defensive top 10 has gone from last year's

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Pionk
Samberg-Schmidt
Stanley
Chisholm
Heinola
Capo

to

Morrissey-Demelo
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Miller
Fleury
???
???
???

Coghlan likely is one of the question marks, just needs a contract. That leaves two spots to be filled. Ideas? Given that Stanley isn't an NHL level defenseman, that probably needs addressing via a trade.

Reactions: hn777

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Pionk
Samberg-Schmidt
Stanley
Chisholm
Heinola
Capo

to

Morrissey-Demelo
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Miller
Fleury
???
???
???

Coghlan likely is one of the question marks, just needs a contract. That leaves two spots to be filled. Ideas? Given that Stanley isn't an NHL level defenseman, that probably needs addressing via a trade.
Why is Heinola on last year's list but not this year's? Is it just because he has not signed yet?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Pionk
Samberg-Schmidt
Stanley
Chisholm
Heinola
Capo

to

Morrissey-Demelo
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Miller
Fleury
???
???
???

Heinola?
You are complaining Schmidt and his 5.95m deal are gone?

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Why is Heinola on last year's list but not this year's? Is it just because he has not signed yet?
Yep. I don't think he will sign here, but that's somewhat besides the point. And even if he gets the 3LD role (have fun with getting it over Stanley), Heinola-Miller sounds... concerning.

You are complaining Schmidt and his 5.95m deal are gone?
Not at all, I think that one made sense. Pionk would have been the better buyout, but alas, not to be.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yep. I don't think he will sign here, but that's somewhat besides the point. And even if he gets the 3LD role (have fun with getting it over Stanley), Heinola-Miller sounds... concerning.

Not at all, I think that one made sense. Pionk would have been the better buyout, but alas, not to be.
Heinola signs here or he goes back to Finland

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How about this gets expanded out a bit, to include McGroarty and get a little more value back for the Jets.

To Carolina: Ehlers (with long term extension)
To Columbus: Nexas (with long term extension) and McGroarty
To Jets: Kent Johnson and one of Jiricek/Mateychuk/Ceulemans

End result for the Jets is we lose Ehlers, but if he is on his way out this needs to be dealt with. McGroarty problem solved, and we get a very skilled young forward with some NHL experience and a future top 4 (maybe even top pairing) young defenseman.

Or .......
We just leave Carolina and Necas out of the picture.

To CBJ, Ehlers + McGroarty
To Wpg, Kent Johnson or Cole Sillinger + one of Jiricek/Mateychuk/Ceulemans.
I would add if the Dman coming back is either Jiricek or Mateychuk.

I think there is a possible side issue to Ehlers to CBJ. Maybe it is a bit airey-fairey but the presence of Ehlers might help rejuvenate Laine. The presence of Laine might encourage Ehlers to extend with CBJ.

Not sure if we value Johnson and Sillinger equally or Johnson more highly. Has Johnson added a little weight? HDB and EP list him at 178 and 168 lbs. Sillinger might be a more likely centre, not sure.

I had been hoping for a little better returns but I have gradually lowered my sights a bit. If we got a return of Sillinger + Ceulemans for the pair I wouldn't be doing the 'dance of joy', but I would be satisfied. We could move forward from there.

Reactions: robertocarlos

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Kind of weird to see all the hand wringing about Necas... the guy is fast, scores and reads the play well - he's already had success in a defence first system

If both him and Ehlers find a fresh start, I think its a solid deal.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Ehlers discourse is still alive that's good. It's a long offseason and it's it's pretty nuanced discussion with a lot of variables. Will help us all kill time.

I think the team is going to lean into re-signing him and increasing his role. Maybe not to the degree our online crowd wants but I can't see him playing 3rd line minutes. He is too good and his impact is so clear.

The guy has never seemed unhappy. Probably just wants to get his best deal he can and be appreciated wherever he plays next. If we can lock him up for another 6-8 years at a fair price, that deal will only gwt better as cap goes up. He may even have some of his best years ahead of him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What's the health of Chytil like in NY?

Ehlers extended for Chytil and Kakko? Feels like we need to add, but McGroarty would be too much.

Would you rather have Kakko or Laine as our big bodied right winger?

None of those players looks good. We certainly don't add.

Chytil finally had 1 semi good season and then missed virtually all of the next season. I don't know what the injury was. He has a PO record almost identical to Ehlers'.

Kakko has played 5 seasons. Again, the '23 season was semi good but right back to 4th line level the next season.

Edit: Forgot Chytil's concussion history. No thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Kind of weird to see all the hand wringing about Necas... the guy is fast, scores and reads the play well - he's already had success in a defence first system

Necas is a useful player on a team like Carolina that is full of defensively sound players to surround him with to cover his warts. The Jets already have Scheifele and Connor though who already struggle bigtime with D. Adding Necas to a group that includes Scheifele and Connor is not a conducive recipe if the goal is winning the stanley cup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed on Buffalo not trading Tuch, hard disagree on developing the replacement. We have nobody who is projected to become even half the player Ehlers is. I'm not sure we can get that prospect in a trade either, although we did just see a blue chip prospect get moved for a faster and shittier Lowry. Unless we intend to go into next season without a single good offensive line, we're going to need a direct replacement.

I think the bolded is a bit of an overstatement.
Assuming KC - Scheif - Volare is cast in stone we have one flawed but decent line - as long as Vivaldi is healthy.
If we were to get Sillinger to play with Perfetti we could play Niederreiter with them to potentially make a decent line. Or one of Lambert or Chibrikov could play on that line. Namestnikov is also an option to move up to that line, as is Barron.

Not sure that any of those would meet the threshold of your idea of a good line or not.

Funny thing is that McGroarty just might be ready to fill that opening.

If we were to get a direct replacement for Ehlers, say Necas, we still only have 2/3 of a 2nd line. We don't have a C for that line yet, other than Names who is a placeholder.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Pionk
Samberg-Schmidt
Stanley
Chisholm
Heinola
Capo

to

Morrissey-Demelo
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Miller
Fleury
???
???
???

You forgot Heinola. He is in for Stan playing with Miller.

I think Fleury and maybe Coghlan are ahead of Stanley.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't see why ville would pull the plug now after putting in all the work and then some.

Only thing standing in his way of everyday 3rd pair duty is Stanley who he beat out pretty handily last year. It's nice for him he doesn't have to play his off side just to have a shot at a roster spot either

Since it appears that they let Dillon walk to open a spot for Ville it would be pretty strange for him not to take it.

Necas is like Ehlers - but not as good.
But more significantly, he didn't like his role in Car. His role would be pretty much the same here. So he isn't likely to stay.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think the bolded is a bit of an overstatement.
Assuming 1. KC - Scheif - Volare is cast in stone we have one flawed but decent line - as long as Vivaldi is healthy.
2. If we were to get Sillinger to play with Perfetti we could play Niederreiter with them to potentially make a decent line. Or one of Lambert or Chibrikov could play on that line. Namestnikov is also an option to move up to that line, as is Barron.

Not sure that any of those would meet the threshold of your idea of a good line or not.

Funny thing is that McGroarty just might be ready to fill that opening.

If we were to get a direct replacement for Ehlers, say Necas, 3. we still only have 2/3 of a 2nd line. We don't have a C for that line yet, other than Names who is a placeholder.
1. A first line playing 20 minutes a night while losing their matchups is not a good line. It's not even a decent one - it's bad. Breaking up that line should result in an improvement by itself.

2. X-Perfetti-Niederreiter is probably the best shot we have of internally replacing Ehlers' impact without acquiring a direct replacement. That alone requires Arniel to rely on Perfetti as the 2C, to break up the third line and weaken it to a degree, and for Chevy to find someone to complement 91 and 62 on that line - preferably someone with some scoring threat. And even then, that severely weakens the third line, since Nino wouldn't be on it anymore.

The third line could be considered a good offensive line, since it dominates its xG share and puts up a decent amount of 5v5 points to boot, but it's less impressive when time on ice is taken into consideration. I think we're at a point where Nino needs to be promoted to support the top 6, and Lowry's line needs to have its minutes cut - along with the expectations to put up points. It can be a fantastic shutdown line, but the point production cannot be emphasised when the top 6 is in the shape it's in.

3. Whoever they choose for the 2C role is going to be a risk. The thing is, if you get rid of Ehlers, you're not going to be equipped to manage the situation if that risk materialises.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He doesn't qualify for trade protection for 2 more years.
Doesn't matter because he can just run out his last two RFA years in arbitration deals and then become a UFA. That's how Trouba and PLD forced their way out of Winnipeg.

So if the Jets or any other team acquires Necas and he doesn't want to sign long term he'll be a UFA in two seasons. He still has value, but not as much as if he signs long term.

I could see the Jets acquiring him at a somewhat reduced cost if he won't sign long term, keep him for a season and if he's still not interested in signing long term, trade him next off season. That's how they managed Trouba and PLD.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Since it appears that they let Dillon walk to open a spot for Ville it would be pretty strange for him not to take it.

Necas is like Ehlers - but not as good.
But more significantly, he didn't like his role in Car. His role would be pretty much the same here. So he isn't likely to stay.
If anything I'd say Necas is more like what we are planning on Lambert developing into. Not to argue just how I see his play style as an outsider.

Feels redundant, and presumptuous that Necas would be planning on extending here.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1. A first line playing 20 minutes a night while losing their matchups is not a good line. It's not even a decent one - it's bad. Breaking up that line should result in an improvement by itself.

2. X-Perfetti-Niederreiter is probably the best shot we have of internally replacing Ehlers' impact without acquiring a direct replacement. That alone requires Arniel to rely on Perfetti as the 2C, to break up the third line and weaken it to a degree, and for Chevy to find someone to complement 91 and 62 on that line - preferably someone with some scoring threat. And even then, that severely weakens the third line, since Nino wouldn't be on it anymore.

3. Whoever they choose for the 2C role is going to be a risk. The thing is, if you get rid of Ehlers, you're not going to be equipped to manage the situation if that risk materialises.

Not sure of the numbers but my impression was that they held their own when Vilardi was healthy.

I'm not in favour of moving Ehlers but ........
We are not getting a direct replacement. Why keep talking about it?

IF Ehlers will extend, keep him. I doubt he will. I think that ship sailed. So, what to do about it? I like getting a serviceable 2C, even if less than ideal, plus an upgrade at RHD. I don't think any of the other possible options is as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad