Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think a lot of us would be happier with Pionk if he didn't get the 2nd/3rd most ice time of our D. He can be good for stretches but like Surixon mentioned, doesn't process the game at a high level. Like most of our issues, our issue with him seems to be usage based.

I view Appleton similarly, he can be a good bottom 6 winger, just shouldn't be getting the 5/6th most ice time of our forwards. The issue is it seems that coaches (and management??) overvalue these players for what they bring and play them far too much. If that's the case going forward as well then moving them would be beneficial just to take that option away from coaches.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting they have
Brossoit $2.1 x2
Demelo $5.3 x4
Dillion $2.8 x2
Miller $1.8 x2
Monahan $5.3 x4
Perfetti $5.5 x7 or $3 x2
Toffoil $6 x4
Stanley $1.03 x1

Thanks for providing:

Can't see Cole's camp accepting a long term deal at this point. The bridge amount is right in line with what moat think it will be.

That seems a bit rich for DeMelo. I was looking at around 4 x 4 for him myself. If they are on close then we are going to have to cut some cash from somewhere else.

I'd bring back LB but having 10.6 allocated to goalies when you are not even olaying LB enough would be hard to justify it.

Hard pass on giving Sean that contract

I'd easily bring Dillion back at that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looking at things a bit more I don't see how you get around not buying Schmidt out.

The buyout costs 1.6 million. Add in Ville to replace him at 800 k and you have 3.5 million in additional space to ay with. That is enough to keep Dillion at that $2.8 million and still have half a million to spend elsewhere.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I've thrown out the idea of Ehlers and Pionk for Pulock and Nelson. (on the premise that the Jets can't work out a reasonable deal for Ehlers).

From the Jets perspective, if they move Ehlers for Pulock (and are able to re-sign Demelo), adding Pionk makes a ton of sense from a cap management perspective. And subtracting Ehlers is somewhat softened by adding Nelson, which allows Lambert another year either playing C on the Moose, or to play a year (or less) on the wing on the Jets.

For the Islanders, adding Ehlers is a slam dunk as to what they are looking for. With Dobson as their #1 RHD, adding Pionk helps their depth as Mayfield isn't likely suited for the second pair (insert Pionk joke about not being ready either here).

An extension for Ehlers would be required, and both players would need to make sure the other location is not on their NTC.

Pionk and Nelson are both upcoming UFA's so their values are in the same ball park. If both were traded at the TD, you're looking at a Monahan / Lindholm return for Nelson, and something possibly less for Pionk. That difference wouldn't be substantial though.
Would Ryan Pulock waive his NTC to come back to MB. I could see him in Nashville, especially if the Preds can't extend Fabbro. That's Trotz's boy.
My Ehlers trade is for quantity. Justin Barron, Cayden Primeau, Owen Beck and our 1st back. 1 contract year for a bunch, in multiple positions, and acquring a 1st gives Chevy two top 40 picks if you want to move one in another trade.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Looking at things a bit more I don't see how you get around not buying Schmidt out.

The buyout costs 1.6 million. Add in Ville to replace him at 800 k and you have 3.5 million in additional space to ay with. That is enough to keep Dillion at that $2.8 million and still have half a million to spend elsewhere.
It costs 3.2 in real dollars and 2.7 against the cap next year. 1.6 is his cap penalty in the year after the next. It still makes a lot of sense, but it would probably have to be something like Miller or even Reilly replacing him directly (the clever choice), or alternatively some f***ing horrible Stanley-esque refrigerator on a 3x3 deal (the Jets' choice).

Also, Dillon should not be available for under 3. The rest of the figures seemed plausible, but a lot of worse defensemen have gotten 3+ with a lower cap ceiling recently.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It costs 3.2 in real dollars and 2.7 against the cap next year. 1.6 is his cap penalty in the year after the next. It still makes a lot of sense, but it would probably have to be something like Miller or even Reilly replacing him directly (the clever choice), or alternatively some f***ing horrible Stanley-esque refrigerator on a 3x3 deal (the Jets' choice).

Also, Dillon should not be available for under 3. The rest of the figures seemed plausible, but a lot of worse defensemen have gotten 3+ with a lower cap ceiling recently.

You are correct, I didn't scroll to the right far enough on capfriendly. I'd still do it.

Yeah I also don't see how some team doesn't give Dillion atleast $3.5 million. He's still useful and brings some nasty to the table and teams tend to pay for that.

Reactions: roccerfeller

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You are correct, I didn't scroll to the right far enough on capfriendly. I'd still do it.

Yeah I also don't see how some team doesn't give Dillion atleast $3.5 million. He's still useful and brings some nasty to the table and teams tend to pay for that.
Who's the next best LD after Zadorov? Skej, Edmunson? I can see the Leafs re-signing him after hiring Berube. You know on July 1 somebody will make a splash and pay for it later. I can see Dillon signing with either Vancouver or Seattle...Calgary is in the market too for defensemen...With $14 million of Cap space, room for 7, and as it stands the need to fill the roles of Dillon, De Melo, Brossoit, the trade impact of Monahan, re-sign Perfetti, negotiating with Overhardt on a bridge contract, and hire a new coach, it will be an active offseason for Chevy. I would bet on the side of disappointment mixed with mild, tempered optimism.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Who's the next best LD after Zadorov? Skej, Edmunson? I can see the Leafs re-signing him after hiring Berube. You know on July 1 somebody will make a splash and pay for it later. I can see Dillon signing with either Vancouver or Seattle...Calgary is in the market too for defensemen...With $14 million of Cap space, room for 7, and as it stands the need to fill the roles of Dillon, De Melo and Brossoit, re-sign Perfetti, negotiating with Overhardt on a bridge contract, and hire a new coach, it will be an active offseason for Chevy. I would bet on the side of disappointment mixed with mild, tempered optimism.

I expect we run most of it all back with Ville taking an open d slot. But otherwise kr will be mostly the same roster and a new coach.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I expect we run most of it all back with Ville taking an open d slot. But otherwise kr will be mostly the same roster and a new coach.
I think this team is going to be retooled...especially the defense...if neither Dillon or De Melo re-sign Chevy has to make moves...There could be some surprises.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Who's the next best LD after Zadorov? Skej, Edmunson? I can see the Leafs re-signing him after hiring Berube. You know on July 1 somebody will make a splash and pay for it later. I can see Dillon signing with either Vancouver or Seattle...Calgary is in the market too for defensemen...With $14 million of Cap space, room for 7, and as it stands the need to fill the roles of Dillon, De Melo, Brossoit, the trade impact of Monahan, re-sign Perfetti, negotiating with Overhardt on a bridge contract, and hire a new coach, it will be an active offseason for Chevy. I would bet on the side of disappointment mixed with mild, tempered optimism.
Insane what the Flames did ...traded 3 top 4 defencemen in Hanifin, Tanev and Zadorov all because imo of overpaying for Hubereau and Kardi which probably caused some problems in the locker room.

Reactions: voyageur
Nov 24, 2006
Insane what the Flames did ...traded 3 top 4 defencemen in Hanifin, Tanev and Zadorov all because imo of overpaying for Hubereau and Kardi which probably caused some problems in the locker room.
Not disagreeing with you generally but I believe they traded Hanifin only because he was not going to sign with them when his contract ended.

Reactions: Buffdog

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Not disagreeing with you generally but I believe they traded Hanifin only because he was not going to sign with them when his contract ended.
I know ... the question is why did he not want to re-sign with the Flames. Zadorov demanded a trade too early in the season too. Flames under performed something was wrong in the locker room.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I do think we may see an Ehlers for a dmen deal but I fully expect the bring DeMelo back. Dillion is likely gone and I think Schmidt gets bought out.
The longer the wait the less sure I am...Maybe De Melo would like his son born somewhere else besides Winnipeg...If he leaves I'll cheer him when he comes back to play. Guy never took a shift off and it's hard to see the team being better without him. Let's hope he re-signs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think this team is going to be retooled...especially the defense...if neither Dillon or De Melo re-sign Chevy has to make moves...There could be some surprises.
The absolute worst case scenario: DeMelo leaves, Dillon leaves, Ehlers gets traded to replace Dylan (which is pretty much impossible to pull off). That's a bottom-five team without another heroic season from Hellebuyck again.

Dillon is replaceable with Sammy, but as I've said before, it's worth it to overpay DeMelo if needed. 5.X AAV on a 4-5-year deal is perfectly fine.

Nov 24, 2006
I know ... the question is why did he not want to re-sign with the Flames. Zadorov demanded a trade too early in the season too. Flames under performed something was wrong in the locker room.
Can't speak to Zardorov but I believe Hanifin had no intention of signing with any Canadian team.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I do think we may see an Ehlers for a dmen deal but I fully expect the bring DeMelo back. Dillion is likely gone and I think Schmidt gets bought out.
I think Demelo is back - he made that clear in his season ending comments.
Might lose Dillon and that will be hard to replace - I think you already mentioned his grit which we are already short of on the blueline - so that's a concern.
We could actually be a lot smaller / physical on D next season - which is not good IMO

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
so much love for a bunch of middling Dmen on this board. And I had to eat insult after insult all last spring when I said that our D would be exposed when we faced legit cup contending offence.

what happened? Oh yeah the inability to clear the zone or properly defend had us blown out in 5 games. and we didn't deserve to win the one game we fluked out.

Dillon is a 5-6 guy at best on a legit cup contender Demello is 4-5 we need at least 2 top 4 legit D-men if we want to have ost season success.

letshoppe some teams put more emphasis ohnn Ehlers fancy stats than his actual on ice results and trade us AZ proper D-man to watch ehlers magnificaent zone entry, turn it over and give up odd man rushes...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Demelo is back - he made that clear in his season ending comments.
Might lose Dillon and that will be hard to replace - I think you already mentioned his grit which we are already short of on the blueline - so that's a concern.
We could actually be a lot smaller / physical on D next season - which is not good IMO

Depends on how they go about replacing them.

My guess is Ville replaces Schmidt's role. So imo we don't lose much there physicality wise.

If we don't bring someone in then Stanley likely gets into the lineup. So we dont lose size and physicality there but he's not as good a player as Dillon.

I still hope they bring in a Poluck to play with JoMo. That would add size and top 4 ability.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

More. 2x4, no problem.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This team needs demelo to stay. Dillon I can get behind too. We can't have a platoon of heinola or Stanley as regulars. Also I'm kinda wary about Samberg's consistency in a top4 role, but concede some recency bias on his showing in the PO's (actually back to back PO's) is probably influencing me.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Depends on how they go about replacing them.

My guess is Ville replaces Schmidt's role. So imo we don't lose much there physicality wise.

If we don't bring someone in then Stanley likely gets into the lineup. So we dont lose size and physicality there but he's not as good a player as Dillon.

I still hope they bring in a Poluck to play with JoMo. That would add size and top 4 ability.
I don't know how it will sort but I was referring to the loss of Dillon - and potentially being replaced by Ville.
I also assume Demelo signs.
So based on what I think will happen up to this point (Dillon gone, Demelo signed), I only see Ville replacing Dillon.
So Samberg moves up into Dillons spot and Ville steps in as part or the 3rd pair - whatever that looks like in the end.
I don't see Stan in the picture other than as a 7th - and I don't necessarily see them moving on from Smitty.

This isn't what I hope they do - but it's what I think they do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know how it will sort but I was referring to the loss of Dillon - and potentially being replaced by Ville.
I also assume Demelo signs.
So based on what I think will happen up to this point (Dillon gone, Demelo signed), I only see Ville replacing Dillon.
So Samberg moves up into Dillons spot and Ville steps in as part or the 3rd pair - whatever that looks like in the end.
I don't see Stan in the picture other than as a 7th - and I don't necessarily see them moving on from Smitty.

This isn't what I hope they do - but it's what I think they do.

So you think they keep Schmidt? They definitely could but based on my number crunching they likely need the cap savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad