Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I think way too much has changed in Laine’s situation to draw any conclusions on his behavior, and it’s not like we knew what the actual problem was to start with.

Laine didn’t get along with Wheeler, that seemed pretty obvious. Wheeler is gone.

Laine was the hardest working player on the ice some nights. We don’t know that he’s lazy, but we do know he has the capacity to work hard.

Laine wasn’t as bad defensively as the naysayers in other fan bases joked about. Connor’s advanced stats showed he was far worse in the same periods.

Laine was dumped into the worst situation imaginable by breaking ties with his good friends in Winnipeg, going to what was an awful NHL franchise that has nothing but issues on and off the ice. Gaudreau is lazy as hell most nights, their goalies have attitude issues, their coaching situation was awful, it goes on. Nobody does well there.

Laine lost his dad, which has to be devastating at that age, and in that situation.

If he truly did have character issues in Winnipeg, there’s a lot to say that his behavior would drastically change based on his past. He’s probably the ultimate reclamation project in the NHL.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
With the draft being in the Sphere, and the season being so condensed, in a literally a week and a day you have game 7, awards, draft, beginning of free agency...I'm willing to bet (not the house) that there is more movement at this draft then any other in recent years.
This is not quite Chevy's tempo!

Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm only interested in a Laine reunion if the leadership core wants him back and we can get him on the cheap and retained.

No thanks to him if we don't check all of those boxes.

I'd much rather go after some fresh faces on CBJ like Mateychuk, Sillinger or Jiricek.

I've been on the fence on this topic - but here's the thing, I think.
What if taking Laine as part of the deal (with a lot of retention) enables getting a Mateychuk, Sillinger or Jiricek?

I'm not interested in taking on Laine and all of his baggage just to get them to toss in a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. I'm only interested if Laine unlocks something much better.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Re: Laine

How many times in their history have the Jets traded away a player , and traded to get him back at a later time?
Stephane Beauregard! Jets to Sabres, Sabres to Blackhawks (for some guy named Dominik Hasek), Blackhawks to Jets, Jets to Flyers, Flyers back to Jets.

That was just so teams could hide players from the expansion drafts going on in 92 and 93...I think the NHL made a rule to prevent that kind of thing because of this series of deals.

Reactions: Buffdog

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Dreger is saying ‘no urgency’, then perhaps picks in this draft aren’t in play.
I think its to help KC in negotiations, if other teams hear there's no urgency they may up their offers to get it done.

Dreger obviously has a relationship with someone high up with the Jets

Reactions: drumzan

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But Chipman might if it puts butts in the seats.
The non HF people would love to have Laine back, he was very popular

I hope Chipman's thinking is not that short term.
Novelties like bringing back the prodigal son might put butts in the seats for about 3 games. After that, the reality that Laine brings (whatever that may be) will take over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad