Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
fwiw not much imo - jeff hamilton was saying on wst that laine he's heard rumblings that laine would be interested in coming back to winnipeg

I have thought about a couple of times over the last season with Laine struggling as much as He did. There has to be a part in him missing those "Most dangerous scorer to be"-times days in Winnipeg. The fans loving him to death, hanging out with his buddy Ehlers. I would not be surprised at all If Laine would actively try to get back to the Jets. A functual organization that tries to win, a true hockey market, a GM that supports him. He always said that he had no problem at all with Winnipeg coming from Finland.

How crazy would it be If Chevy signs Ehlers to a really good contract, turns McG into a great RHD piece and at some point, maybe around January as the Jackets are again in shambles, brings back Laine 50% retained and turns his career back around as a compliment trigger man piece for this roster?

Honestly, I think way, way crazier things have happened.

Maybe it's only the greek wine I am having right now in my Naxos holidays.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Demelo re-rigning takes a little pressure off of Chevy WRT the Ehlers and/or Rutger returns. With Salo coming over, 2/3 of the right side should be set after next season.

I have a feeling that nexr season we'll run:
JoMo Demelo
Snerg Pionk
Heinola Schmidt
Stanley

Salo starts on the Moose before making the jump the next season when Schmidt and/or Pionk are gone

That said... if Chevy can land an upgrade, a Schmidt buyout is possible too

Running back that D corps with Dillon out and Heinola in is not a win now move. Scheifele and Helle are not getting any younger. I don't think they can afford to waste a season.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Running back that D corps with Dillon out and Heinola in is not a win now move. Scheifele and Helle are not getting any younger. I don't think they can afford to waste a season.
You gotta integrate Heinola somewhere/somehow. Like I said, there is definitely room for improvement if Chevy can find the right deal

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I still see Heinola on the right side, because of the PKers, but it's possible the Jets get a LH RD to take on a PK2 role. On the right side Heinola at least has a chance to move up to top pairing with Josh, if he is on, and the team needs offense...De Melo is a better fit than Pionk for the shut down role. Be interesting on how the management and coaching staff view the defense, going into next season. You know the Jets are going to want to improve their special teams units, bringing De Melo back at least brings stability to one side of the equation.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I expect an upgrade on Schmidt to be brought in somehow. So we'd likely have a similar caliber dcore or better depending on internal growth.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The Demelo re-rigning takes a little pressure off of Chevy WRT the Ehlers and/or Rutger returns. With Salo coming over, 2/3 of the right side should be set after next season.

I have a feeling that nexr season we'll run:
JoMo Demelo
Snerg Pionk
Heinola Schmidt
Stanley

Salo starts on the Moose before making the jump the next season when Schmidt and/or Pionk are gone

That said... if Chevy can land an upgrade, a Schmidt buyout is possible too
Agreed, this is looking like the plan so far. Salo likley starts on the Moose, especially if the Jets don't trade or buyout Schmidt. Maybe he wows in camp, but it seems like most decisions seemed to be made before camp.

It would be interesting to see the price on Marino IMO. If it was reasonable, a right side of Demelo, Marino, and Pionk wouldn't be too bad (although I don't like the idea of Heinola and Pionk on a pair).

Depending on the returns for Ehlers and McGroarty, if the Jets could move Pionks and Schmidts contracts (assuming they think Salo can handle the 3rd pair), two players from teams that might be looking to move salary that could help would be Marino, and also Cirelli (not saying he's available, just the thought that they might need to move salary to sign Stamkos). Would require futures as if they're being moved their teams likely don't want cap back.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You gotta integrate Heinola somewhere/somehow. Like I said, there is definitely room for improvement if Chevy can find the right deal

Heinola can play either side, if that helps.

Not my dream scenario but I would rather keep Dillon, buyout Schmidt and play Heinola at 3RD with Snerg at 3LD.

Another possibility .....
JoMo - DeMelo
Snerg - Salomonsson
Heinola - Pionk

I know everyone wants Salo to put in a year in the AHL but if he can adapt to the smaller ice surface, I think he is ready. Playing at 2nd pair minutes is a little ambitious but I can't see Heinola and Salo together.

More desirable would be .....
JoMo - Trade return
Snerg - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo
Let Salo bump Pionk when he can actually outplay him, this year or next.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I expect an upgrade on Schmidt to be brought in somehow. So we'd likely have a similar caliber dcore or better depending on internal growth.

I still hope Schmidt is bought out. What is the window now?

But if both Pionk and Schmidt are on the roster and Dillon is not, we are taking a step back from not good enough. At least unless we are going to pay Schmidt nearly 6 mil to sit in the PB.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Not my dream scenario but I would rather keep Dillon, buyout Schmidt and play Heinola at 3RD with Snerg at 3LD.

JoMo - DeMelo
Snerg - Salomonsson
Heinola - Pionk

I know everyone wants Salo to put in a year in the AHL but if he can adapt to the smaller ice surface, I think he is ready. Playing at 2nd pair minutes is a little ambitious but I can't see Heinola and Salo together.

JoMo - Trade return
Snerg - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo
I really don't see any chance that De Melo doesn't play with Morrissey next year. I mean regular season they were fantastic, why change it up? I think Samberg and Pionk probably start together. They weren't bad in the regular season when together. 3rd pairing is still a mystery. I think Heinola is on the team, but I could see the Jets using Heinola/Stanley as a platoon, where you have the option to play bigger against dirtier teams (L.A., Calgary) or fast against skilled teams. Should be some competition. No idea who else the Jets are looking for on defense, but I'd be happy if we signed a guy like Josh Brown who can clear the front of the net, and throw a few bombs on some of the teams that will play dirty and take runs at our players. At least in a depth role.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

JoMo - DeMelo
Snerg - Salomonsson
Heinola - Pionk

JoMo - Trade return
Snerg - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo
This board isn't going to be happy when Stanley has a bigger role because of Dillon leaving, and Heinola is again on the outside looking in.

I would be very surprised if it shook out any other way.

• Wow
Reactions: WolfHouse

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I can't see the room really wanting him back. But who knows now. I'd imagine Chevy would be poking around the leadership core about it. He's had a rough few years in CBJ and hasn't really improved on any of the things we wanted him to improve on. If we buy low enough on him I'd be okay with it. Certainly wouldn't want us giving up anything of value.

Yeah really sucks that we won't get that kind of player but perhaps Chevy can turn this into a win if teams are really wanting him. Come on Chevy get us that top 4 pick from CBJ.
The “room” lol
Was Wheeler and Scheifele
Wheeler is gone YAY
Things are likely way different now in “the room”

Reactions: kenobiwan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This board isn't going to be happy when Stanley has a bigger role because of Dillon leaving, and Heinola is again on the outside looking in.

I would be very surprised if it shook out any other way.

I really hope we just let Stanley go. I know the org doesn't want to get burned by him figuring it out somewhere else but he obviously isn't going to figure it out here. He's got 1 more year to UFA. Just trade him for whatever you can get and be done with it.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Dax sorry if I missed it earlier

What’s the penalty for us for a Schmidt buyout, in addition to Wheeler

In cap dollars it costs us $2,716,667 for 24/25 and another $1,616,667 for 25/26.

Saves us $3,233,333 in cap space for 24/25 and puts us in the hole $1,616,667 for 25/26

If we buyout Schmidt we will have about $11,986,309 heading into free agency to play with but also still have to sign Gus, Perfetti, Heinola, Lundmark and possibly Stanley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad