Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v16.0

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Reichel, Gajan, Misiak, Commesso, Harding all disappointing season.

Commesso didn't have a disappointing season. Top-10 in Sv% amongst rookie AHL goaltenders, only 4-5 points off Jesper Wallstedt and Yaroslav Askarov's sv%, who're regarded as two of the best goaltending prospects in the league. Followed that up with a strong showing in the playoffs for Rockford, posting a .915 sv% (which was 3rd amongst rookie AHL goaltenders in the playoffs).

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Reichel, Gajan, Misiak, Commesso, Harding all disappointing season.

Commesso, no. Harding is what he is and he was drafted by the old regime. The other 3 I would agree with although Gajan was playing behind a tire fire team. I would like to see him in college with more structure to fully judge him.

I'll say it now, although he had a bounce back season, I don't think Ludwinski is going to amount to anything after next season. Guys like him and Misiak are all speed, but don't know what to do with it. At least with Oliver Moore for example, he has the skill with his elite speed and thinks the game better than the other 2, although that's not saying much because I don't think his hockey sense is great either. But with him, you can AT LEAST see a middle 6 NHL'er for sure as his floor.

Misiak could make it as a 4th liner but he needs to play a bit more physical.

Last edited:

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Commesso didn't have a disappointing season. Top-10 in Sv% amongst rookie AHL goaltenders, only 4-5 points off Jesper Wallstedt and Yaroslav Askarov's sv%, who're regarded as two of the best goaltending prospects in the league. Followed that up with a strong showing in the playoffs for Rockford, posting a .915 sv% (which was 3rd amongst rookie AHL goaltenders in the playoffs).
Is this good or bad?

• Haha
Reactions: TheDoorDoctor

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Sheesh then you reallllly don’t want to hear about my mildly “lukewarm” seasons. Moore and Nazar had OK seasons bailed out by good WJCs. (Moore hot and cold, Nazar misused by coaches so not his fault) Greene was just OK. Dach made of glass. Lardis could be a Dach in training. Safonov take a step back. Korchinski was objectively bad but he was at least bad in the NHL so there’s still a lot of optimism for him obviously.

I might be way too harsh for some but the standard is extremely high to be a top 6 forward a top 4D or an NHL goalie. That’s all we should really care about developing.

BTW Commesso being 10th best rookie AHL goalie on Sundays when there is a full moon in November isn’t going to cut it.

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Great development season:
Vlasic
Bedard
Levshunov
Rinzel
Kantserov

Good development season:
Vanacker (docked for injury)
Boisvert
EDM
Allan
Slaggert
Kaiser

Decent development season
Moore (just a bit too hot and cold, should explode next year)
Nazar (injury behind him good WJC, where’s the production tho. I blame coaches and continue to see a top guy)
Dach
Hayes (good season, not WJC)
Greene (he is what he is, nothing added. Bottom 6 guy)
Ludwinski
Korchinski
Lardis great when healthy. Stay healthy.
Savoie. See above

Step back
Gajan (long leash plenty of time)
Commesso
Misiak

2 steps back
Reichel

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Sheesh then you reallllly don’t want to hear about my mildly “lukewarm” seasons. Moore and Nazar had OK seasons bailed out by good WJCs. (Moore hot and cold, Nazar misused by coaches so not his fault) Greene was just OK. Dach made of glass. Lardis could be a Dach in training. Safonov take a step back. Korchinski was objectively bad but he was at least bad in the NHL so there’s still a lot of optimism for him obviously.

I might be way too harsh for some but the standard is extremely high to be a top 6 forward a top 4D or an NHL goalie. That’s all we should really care about developing.

BTW Commesso being 10th best rookie AHL goalie on Sundays when there is a full moon in November isn’t going to cut it.

Definitely agree on Commesso. I actually don’t think he’ll ever be a true number 1. I’ve never been super high on him.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Yes.

Again, Commesso's numbers were basically the same as two of the best goaltending prospects in the world and he was playing in his rookie pro season. In fact, Commesso's numbers were almost identical to Wallstedt's rookie season last year.

Safonov was a 6th round pick. If you get any kind of NHL player out of him it's a huge win. Lardis has missed significant time once with an injury so far, let's pump the brakes on calling him a "Dach in training." I wouldn't say Moore or Nazar's seasons were just "OK" but as we've established:

I might be way too harsh for some

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The "Lardis could be a Dach in training" after his first time ever getting injured in 3 years in the OHL is hilarious.

I also don't understand how Vanacker is "docked cuz of injury" as only a good development year when the kid literally played the whole year with that injury and his numbers took a massive jump from last year. It was a tremendous development year for him. Kid wasn't on the radar a year ago.

Reactions: HawksDub89

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Definitely agree on Commesso. I actually don’t think he’ll ever be a true number 1. I’ve never been super high on him.
I have that same view of Commesso, but it's why I don't agree with his evaluation of the season. I think his ceiling is just above average starter.

Being an average goalie his 1st pro season after just above average college seasons isn't a negative development year. That's the normal course expectation.

But Gajan I agree with but didn't like the pick, goalie 1st-2nd round busts are often guys like him. Goalies who had great WJCs or playoffs. Buy aren't actually consistent enough to be a legit nhl goalie. I would rather take the consistent for 40 games guy over an amazing 6 game record.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDoorDoctor

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Yes.

Again, Commesso's numbers were basically the same as two of the best goaltending prospects in the world and he was playing in his rookie pro season. In fact, Commesso's numbers were almost identical to Wallstedt's rookie season last year.

Safonov was a 6th round pick. If you get any kind of NHL player out of him it's a huge win. Lardis has missed significant time once with an injury so far, let's pump the brakes on calling him a "Dach in training." I wouldn't say Moore or Nazar's seasons were just "OK" but as we've established:
Nazar was the highest drafted player on his team and was 6th in production. He was 28th in production in u20 college scoring last year. There are mitigating factors but I personally don’t accept excuses when it comes to top6 top 4 top G. You should be dominant or close to it at any level. His eye test is good. But the NHL is the NHL.

Safonov has a “great” development year and became a bonafide prospect despite 6th round. He came back to earth.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Nazar was the highest drafted player on his team and was 6th in production. He was 28th in production in u20 college scoring last year. There are mitigating factors but I personally don’t accept excuses when it comes to top6 top 4 top G. You should be dominant or close to it at any level. His eye test is good. But the NHL is the NHL.

Safonov has a “great” development year and became a bonafide prospect despite 6th round. He came back to earth.
I know you said no excuses but you're talking about ignoring context completely which is just as bad as chasing excuses. Nazar was point per game with no PP1 time and playing much of the year as a 2C with non-prospects. When he played with Rutger and Brindley he went nuclear like you'd expect. Even factoring in time away from them he was 3rd on the team and right on pace with those two in even strength points. Coming off of a major surgery, it was about as good of a year as you could have hoped for, especially after a slow first couple of weeks.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
NHL
AHL
NCAA
USHL
KHL
OHL
QMJHL

Anyone implying knowing development paths for nearly all Hawks prospects from last season would need to be watching them play multiple games in these leagues. Box scores, season stats, and highlights don't cut it.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
NHL
AHL
NCAA
USHL
KHL
OHL
QMJHL

Anyone implying knowing development paths for nearly all Hawks prospects from last season would need to be watching them play multiple games in these leagues. Box scores, season stats, and highlights don't cut it.
Needing to watch full games is overrated. Let’s use the 2023-2024 Blackhawks as an example. If you look at the Hawks stats, whose LIE about the performance of the player? If you look at Hawks highlights, whose LIE?

When players suck or underperform it shows plainly in their stats and ice time. The coach of the team knows better than my “eye test”. Thats where Nazar gets dinged for last season. The “yea but…” stuff is loser talk. Same type of babying Korchinski gets. The standard for being elite on the NHL doesn’t care about our excuses for the players

I don’t need to grind KHL games to see that Kantserov moved up the lineup and started producing at an amazing level in the playoffs.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Needing to watch full games is overrated. Let’s use the 2023-2024 Blackhawks as an example. If you look at the Hawks stats, whose LIE about the performance of the player? If you look at Hawks highlights, whose LIE?

When players suck or underperform it shows plainly in their stats and ice time. The coach of the team knows better than my “eye test”. Thats where Nazar gets dinged for last season. The “yea but…” stuff is loser talk. Same type of babying Korchinski gets. The standard for being elite on the NHL doesn’t care about our excuses for the players

I don’t need to grind KHL games to see that Kantserov moved up the lineup and started producing at an amazing level in the playoffs.
You don't need to watch KHL games to have an opinion about Kantserov but if you want to have an informed opinion about anyone yes you need to have watched the guy like what?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If we have to watch every prospects games nightly to have an opinion on them I guess we just shut the board down. Should we divide the prospects up by poster to have opinions? Like what. Mark Eaton is the only guy in the world who can have an opinion now.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
We had a regular Rockford icehouse attendee until Sam Bennett rock bottomed Knives? And she left the board after the bickering of that.

I'll need some online streaming service because all i can watch are the roadrunners for half the season or however that is going to play out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad