GDT: All Purpose Prospect Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Is Kevin Addams helping out at Prospects Camp? There was a picture of a coach in the Canes’ Instagram stories who looked a lot like him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just wondering how the players looked at the prospect camp. In particular Cedric Andree and Hoefenmayer.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Cotton really stood out in the first with some condor like control of the play, and Fensore played the perfect little guy game. Cotton took the foot off the gas in the second, wonder if that was purposeful as white crushed red in possession in the first imo.

Rees looked good in moments. Filipe and Henman looked best for red. Honka was up and down.

Suzuki looked skilled but didn’t really assert like Cotton or Fensore did.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
In as much as a prospect can stand out in such a game, Rees and Fensore were by far the standouts to me. Suzuki certainly has skill.

Honka, stood out in a bad way, specifically he seemed to not really try unless the puck was going towards the offensive zone. The talent is there for sure though, and you can’t really come to any sort of conclusions on a player from a camp like this. He’s someone to watch for sure as he hopefully rounds out into a PPQB/2nd or 3rd pairing guy.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Honka absolutely gives me the Joni Pitkanen vibe. He's such a good skater. He did have a very nice defensive play right in front of his goalie, stripped a guy beautifully.

Fensore is going to be something. Good skater, played excellent positional defense.

Filipe will definitely contend for a job in Charlotte (either this year or next). It also feels like David Cotton has been told he's got a future with the club. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up signing here.

Drury's skating, while nothing to write home about, is markedly better than last season. He's got boatloads of confidence too.

Jamieson Rees is going to be very, very good. Really good with the puck. He did, however, try some "fancy Dan" moves that would never work in the NHL. They often didn't work today.

Puistola reminds me a little of Aho's first day at his development camp. He muffed a few passes, made some errant passes, but you can see the talent. He did ring one off the crossbar after making a good move to the goal.

Webber is a smooth skater and he's definitely big.

Yes the new Russian tender was as advertised, but both Makiniemi and Kucharski played very well too.

Kevin Wall has some wheels and what looks to be a pretty good shot.

Finally, both Lenni Killinen and Luke Henman were playing with confidence and things happened when they had the puck on their stick. I hadn't previously been impressed with either. It wouldn't surprise me if Henman has a big year in the Q this year. I'd say Killinen has got middle 6 upside. He handled the puck quite well, found the open man easily, and generally controlled things when he was on the ice.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
No one NHL ready, although I don't think that's too surprising.

Yes the new Russian tender was as advertised, but both Makiniemi and Kucharski played very well too.
If I had to choose one player to make the NHL based on the video, I would easily say Makiniemi. He looked quite a bit more in control than Kochetkov.
Filipe and Cotton looked like there were 4 years older than the other forwards.
Fensore can skate. Otherwise the D were fine but nothing that really stood out.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Cotton really stood out in the first with some condor like control of the play, and Fensore played the perfect little guy game. Cotton took the foot off the gas in the second, wonder if that was purposeful as white crushed red in possession in the first imo.

Rees looked good in moments. Filipe and Henman looked best for red. Honka was up and down.

Suzuki looked skilled but didn’t really assert like Cotton or Fensore did.

Interesting to see this take. I thought Cotton looked lumbering and lost a lot of pucks. I thought it was really, really noticeable playing with Suzuki, who was able to escape from pretty much any challenge with very poised control of the puck. Cotton would try to do similar things, but wasn't nimble and his hands weren't as good, and he would constantly get stripped of the puck as a result, while Suzuki was usually able to escape and make a play. I thought it was obvious that Suzuki was the best player on the ice.

Henman really impressed me. A very nice Erik Cole move to score, and he protected the puck well and had some really clean passes. Didn't have the top end speed that Cole did, so I don't think he has any chance of being a similar player in the NHL, but I thought he had enough speed to keep up. Looks like he's got a year of juniors left, which is a shame. I think he'd be really intriguing to watch as an AHL guy this year.

Rees was interesting to me. He tried a couple things that I guess he was used to doing in junior and got shut down pretty hard, but he also had spectacular second effort and made a couple nice plays after most players would have given up. In the NHL, that either makes you a star or gets you burnt. I think he's got the tools, but will have to adjust his decision making a lot as a pro.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Interesting to see this take. I thought Cotton looked lumbering and lost a lot of pucks. I thought it was really, really noticeable playing with Suzuki, who was able to escape from pretty much any challenge with very poised control of the puck. Cotton would try to do similar things, but wasn't nimble and his hands weren't as good, and he would constantly get stripped of the puck as a result, while Suzuki was usually able to escape and make a play. I thought it was obvious that Suzuki was the best player on the ice.

Henman really impressed me. A very nice Erik Cole move to score, and he protected the puck well and had some really clean passes. Didn't have the top end speed that Cole did, so I don't think he has any chance of being a similar player in the NHL, but I thought he had enough speed to keep up. Looks like he's got a year of juniors left, which is a shame. I think he'd be really intriguing to watch as an AHL guy this year.

Rees was interesting to me. He tried a couple things that I guess he was used to doing in junior and got shut down pretty hard, but he also had spectacular second effort and made a couple nice plays after most players would have given up. In the NHL, that either makes you a star or gets you burnt. I think he's got the tools, but will have to adjust his decision making a lot as a pro.
It's funny you said that, people can watch the same content and take totally different things from it. I thought Cotton's strength was pulling away from coverage and maintaining possession. He's not graceful at all, that's my "condor" reference to Vasicek. Someone who's got the wingspan to hold the puck away and the intelligence to pick and choose his moments to attack. I don't know that hes any better than Lorentz in the AHL but I'd like to find out. He's a smart player.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad