GDT: All Purpose Prospect Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
To me, he was the most notable player on the ice. Small sample size

697.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It shouldn't be surprising that the 5'7" pure offensive D stood out in the 3v3 scrimmage where nobody was playing physically (outside of a few runs on Honka). Guys were allowed to dipsy-doodle around even more than a normal 3v3. Jamieson Rees made a play in the slot from his stomach. It was a Harlem Globetrotters show for the fans - and for me not a very impressive one which is understandable given the circumstances.

The best offensive play of the day was Henman's shot to bear Kochetkov. I liked Rees's game even if it was the most campy of the exhibition. He definitely goes all out.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It shouldn't be surprising that the 5'7" pure offensive D stood out in the 3v3 scrimmage where nobody was playing physically (outside of a few runs on Honka). Guys were allowed to dipsy-doodle around even more than a normal 3v3. Jamieson Rees made a play in the slot from his stomach. It was a Harlem Globetrotters show for the fans - and for me not a very impressive one which is understandable given the circumstances.

The best offensive play of the day was Henman's shot to bear Kochetkov. I liked Rees's game even if it was the most campy of the exhibition. He definitely goes all out.
True, but I watched Fensore with special interest. He always got back and knew his positioning quite well. I"m not saying he won't get jacked in a real game, I'm saying he was extremely defensively aware and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time....especially in his own end.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The best offensive play of the day was Henman's shot to bear Kochetkov.
I thought the move by Suzuki to shoot after faking a pass and allowing the defender to create a screen was the best offensive play. However, Makiniemi easily grabbed it out of the air. That and the the two stops on breakaways is why I think Makiniemi was easily the best player in the scrimmage.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Fensore's brother is 6" according to EP, so I think he could definitely grow few inches still. Great selection.

Neat thought experiment going around, but who's to say if it's a *good* thing if he gets bigger.

Would Alex DeBrincat benefit from being 6-feet tall? Would Johnny Gaudreau? Brayden Point?

We have been trained to look at this in terms of a small guy being deficient in some way, but what if his "smallness" is key to his success.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Neat thought experiment going around, but who's to say if it's a *good* thing if he gets bigger.

Would Alex DeBrincat benefit from being 6-feet tall? Would Johnny Gaudreau? Brayden Point?

We have been trained to look at this in terms of a small guy being deficient in some way, but what if his "smallness" is key to his success.

Exactly. He could be the next Spencer Smallman.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Brind’Amour stresses to prospects ‘what it takes to be a Hurricane’
By Chip Alexander
And what does “being a Hurricane” mean?
“The way he stated it to us in our meeting, it’s just competing,” said forward Ryan Suzuki, the Canes’ first-round draft pick this year. “It’s competing and working hard. That’s the only way you can get better. I think that’s what they want as a staple of the organization, being the hardest-working team.”
Those are the tenets that Brind’Amour emphasizes, of what he will ask of anyone who wants to play for the Hurricanes -- now or in the future.
“When they leave here they have to have some sort of awareness of what we expect,” Brind’Amour said Friday. “It’s up to them. It’s not OK to just go out and score some goals and you’re a good player. There’s a certain type of player we want you to be.
“Obviously we want you to do all those things but there’s another element they have to bring in order to be successful. And not just here but in the NHL in general. There’s a whole ‘nother level you have to get to and that means committing to a lot of things, not just on the ice that everybody sees but how you prepare and the time you take to prepare.”
“He said what got him in the league was a little bit of skill but said what kept him in the league all those years was hard work,” Suzuki said. “I think that’s important. Every player in the league has skill. But what sets you apart is how hard you work and how well you compete. That’s what I’ll take back this summer.”
Brind’Amour stresses to prospects ‘what it takes to be a Hurricane’

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad