All-Purpose News Thread Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dave said on observer radio that Cody was going to be off Wrestlemania due to an injury angle, but Punk getting hurt took that off the table.

Can you imagine if Punk would’ve won the Rumble

Reactions: Voight

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Dave said on observer radio that Cody was going to be off Wrestlemania due to an injury angle, but Punk getting hurt took that off the table.

Can you imagine if Punk would’ve won the Rumble
What was the plan then with a healthy punk?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
yeah, i call bullshit on that one

If you were gonna do an injury angle to keep him off they would've been farther ahead to have Bloodline take him out and Rock come in and "Save the day" instead of Cody just give up his spot. Even Rock/Gewirtz would've known that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
the part that does make sense was they weren’t committing to it until the day of the Rumble. The part that doesn’t is how they get there because then what are you doing in Elimination Chamber? Seth was hurt, too.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I buy it. The details and timelines won’t ever be known, but I firmly believe the plan was punk v Seth and Roman v rock.

Oddly enough they’ll probably run both matches in Vegas now

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I buy it. The details and timelines won’t ever be known, but I firmly believe the plan was punk v Seth and Roman v rock.

Oddly enough they’ll probably run both matches in Vegas now

It's not really buying that that wasn't the plan.... It's buying that Cody was just going to be left off the card entirely.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's not really buying that that wasn't the plan.... It's buying that Cody was just going to be left off the card entirely.
That’s the one huge catch, I don’t disagree there. I’m really not sure what they could’ve done with him after the Rumble if it wasn’t a title match w Roman, and keeping him off of Wrestlemania entirely seems like a stretch. An injury angle would kinda solve that. It’s a cop out, but it solves a problem

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
That’s the one huge catch, I don’t disagree there. I’m really not sure what they could’ve done with him after the Rumble if it wasn’t a title match w Roman, and keeping him off of Wrestlemania entirely seems like a stretch. An injury angle would kinda solve that. It’s a cop out, but it solves a problem

Ya, but with an injury angle I don't see why you wouldn't have BL jump him and take him out with Rock then coming in after, rather than Cody coming in and giving it away.

I don't buy that Rock/Gewirtz wouldn't have known that was the better angle if the plan was to keep Cody off the card entirely.

... But then again I also don't entirely buy that Cody looking like Rock had just shot his dog during that segment wasn't planned. Cameras very deliberately shot him looking glum.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ya, but with an injury angle I don't see why you wouldn't have BL jump him and take him out with Rock then coming in after, rather than Cody coming in and giving it away.

I don't buy that Rock/Gewirtz wouldn't have known that was the better angle if the plan was to keep Cody off the card entirely.

... But then again I also don't entirely buy that Cody looking like Rock had just shot his dog during that segment wasn't planned. Cameras very deliberately shot him looking glum.
I think by this moment they had already pivoted to Cody v Roman. That whole dog n pony show was just to conjure up some support for Cody.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I think by this moment they had already pivoted to Cody v Roman. That whole dog n pony show was just to conjure up some support for Cody.

When Cody came out and gave it up?

I don't think they would've done that segment if they had already pivoted. Unless it was a master plan knowing fans were gonna shit on it, which I seriously doubt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Who was he going to fight that made sense? I’m sure you could warm someone up, but then it might be a Bryan Danielson situation. Paul Levesque has demonstrated you don’t need everyone on every show.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
just sitting in my office working and listening to Sirius/XM Deep Tracks, and what comes on but none other than Real American by Derringer, not sure that I have ever heard it before on any radio station, and not sure that anything really would have been a good followup to it, but the Supertramp song they chose did not cut it

Reactions: Guardian17

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yeah, there's zero chance they would leave Cody off WM.

Side note: Anyone thinking of going to Vegas for Mania next year?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Dwayne would’ve been the #1 face. He was the “real” star.

Dude you just told me two weeks ago that they would never have Drew/Punk be a brawl and a beatdown because they advertised the match, and are now flipping to "They'd leave Cody Rhodes off the Wrestlemania card entirely after winning the Royal Rumble."

That's like saying they'd leave Cena off the card in the late 2000s early 2010s because "Rock is the real star".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad