All-Purpose News Thread Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Yes. They are big stars, presented as big stars, and are drawing big considering the money that was spent. :sarcasm:

I personally love how Okada was chased as one of the best wrestlers in the world and is tagging along with the ratings killers to say "Bitch" as a comedy spot, rather than actually doing something meaningful.

Okada is in the top heel group in the company.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Okada is in the top heel group in the company.

And that angle is super over and is driving ratings, isn't it? Oh wait... They've been in a tailspin since that started.

Tell me that this is a better use of Okada than actually presenting him as they've presented Ospreay.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And that angle is super over and is driving ratings, isn't it? Oh wait... They've been in a tailspin since that started.

Tell me that this is a better use of Okada than actually presenting him as they've presented Ospreay.
Why would you present them the same? They’re different characters.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Why would you present them the same? They’re different characters.

Why would you interpret that as presenting their characters the same and not presenting both as top tier wrestlers in the world that are credible threats in the world title picture?

Instead one is playing tag along to a heel tag team that has been turning off viewers for what, 2-3 years now?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why would you interpret that as presenting their characters the same and not presenting both as top tier wrestlers in the world that are credible threats in the world title picture?

Instead one is playing tag along to a heel tag team that has been turning off viewers for what, 2-3 years now?
Did they not set up a program with Okada and Omega?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Oh wow! Looking forward to that Okada/Omega program in early to mid-2025. Let's do "Bitch" comedy with him for 9-12 months in the mean time, rather than establish him as a main event player. :sarcasm:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh wow! Looking forward to that Okada/Omega program in early to mid-2025. Let's do "Bitch" comedy with him for 9-12 months in the mean time, rather than establish him as a main event player. :sarcasm:
He was in the main event of Double or Nothing. That’s their second biggest show of the year.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Who is this Omega you speak of? Same guy that has been gone for almost a year and doesn't look like he is coming back soon?

Okada looks like shit and has been booked like shit. Best wrestler in the world my ass.

tenor.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tama Tonga was just in the Main Event of MITB...

Don’t even pretend that it is at all the same.

Who is this Omega you speak of? Same guy that has been gone for almost a year and doesn't look like he is coming back soon?

Okada looks like shit and has been booked like shit. Best wrestler in the world my ass.

tenor.gif
He ran an angle on TV to set up the feud.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Don’t even pretend that it is at all the same.

He ran an angle on TV to set up the feud.

You literally brought up Okada being in a multi-man tag main event as evidence that he's being treated as a main event player... How is it different from Tama Tonga being in a multi-man main event?

Okada came in as a massive signing and has largely done mid-card faction bullshit that is not even remotely close to how Ospreay has been presented as a star.

Reactions: Khelandros

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You literally brought up Okada being in a multi-man tag main event as evidence that he's being treated as a main event player... How is it different from Tama Tonga being in a multi-man main event?

Okada came in as a massive signing and has largely done mid-card faction bullshit that is not even remotely close to how Ospreay has been presented as a star.

The MITB tag wasn’t a big match, it may have been the least important match on the show, but they put it there to elevate it. We all already see where they’re slotting Tama Tonga, and we all already know who the real stars are in the Bloodline.

Double or Nothing may be the biggest show of the year in the US for AEW, and Young Bucks are not mid-carders. That was a considerably higher spot.

Ospreay has generally been acknowledged as the best in the world for quite some time now.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The MITB tag wasn’t a big match, it may have been the least important match on the show, but they put it there to elevate it. We all already see where they’re slotting Tama Tonga, and we all already know who the real stars are in the Bloodline.

Double or Nothing may be the biggest show of the year in the US for AEW, and Young Bucks are not mid-carders. That was a considerably higher spot.

Ospreay has generally been acknowledged as the best in the world for quite some time now.

Yes. Angles and matches involving the Bloodline, Cody Rhodes, and Randy Orton are of very low importance in WWE. :sarcasm: It will also be very unimportant in 4 months when Tonga Loa is "Main eventing" Survivor Series in a story that's been brewing for 6+ months at that point. Much less important than Okada and the EVPs having a backyard wrestling match against a team that got slapped together with very little build. (And then changed because Eddie Kingston took a dumbass bump)

Honestly, this is getting ridiculous...

And yes, the Young Bucks are absolutely mid carders. But we can keep pretending that ratings trends over the last few years haven't indicated that people tune out when they come on, I suppose.

Saying Okada is presented as a main event top draw because he's in a pushed heel faction that had a main event PPV and has a feud set up with a top draw six to twelve months from now is like me saying Finn Balor is presented as a main event top draw because he's in Judgement Day and is being groomed for a big feud against the current WHC. :laugh:

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. Angles and matches involving the Bloodline, Cody Rhodes, and Randy Orton are of very low importance in WWE. :sarcasm: It will also be very unimportant in 4 months when Tonga Loa is "Main eventing" Survivor Series in a story that's been brewing for 6+ months at that point. Much less important than Okada and the EVPs having a backyard wrestling match against a team that got slapped together with very little build. (And then changed because Eddie Kingston took a dumbass bump)

Honestly, this is getting ridiculous...

And yes, the Young Bucks are absolutely mid carders. But we can keep pretending that ratings trends over the last few years haven't indicated that people tune out when they come on, I suppose.

Saying Okada is presented as a main event top draw because he's in a pushed heel faction that had a main event PPV and has a feud set up with a top draw six to twelve months from now is like me saying Finn Balor is presented as a main event top draw because he's in Judgement Day and is being groomed for a big feud against the current WHC. :laugh:

Weird because WWE literally just did a 2-year story to crown the new face of the company, but waiting 6 months to do something they’ve explicitly told you is happening, is too much.

It’s getting ridiculous because you have such a linear view of who is and is not being presented as a top guy in the company.

Or the gimmick is effective you can’t see that you’re getting worked.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Weird because WWE literally just did a 2-year story to crown the new face of the company, but waiting 6 months to do something they’ve explicitly told you is happening, is too much.

It’s getting ridiculous because you have such a linear view of who is and is not being presented as a top guy in the company.

Or the gimmick is effective you can’t see that you’re getting worked.

Weird that you would compare Cody being treated as a main event star during that entire two years to Okada showing up to say "Bitch" while lurking in the background of the Bucks latest "Go away heat" segment.

It's getting ridiculous because you're shilling so hard for AEW that you're actually trying to argue Okada has been presented as the top star he was hyped up and brought in as. It's not even and indictment of Okada's ability, it's an indictment of Tony's shitty booking.

And yes, the gimmick is effective. Unfortunately, the go away heat the Bucks generate hasn't caused them to go away, so the fans went away...

Kinda hard to argue "Well the ratings are down because of the NBA and NHL playoffs!", then post your worst rating ever against no NHL and NBA competition, right as RAW does their best rating since Mania against SCF Game 7. No, maybe the ratings, like the attendance, are down because the product is shit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Weird that you would compare Cody being treated as a main event star during that entire two years to Okada showing up to say "Bitch" while lurking in the background of the Bucks latest "Go away heat" segment.

It's getting ridiculous because you're shilling so hard for AEW

Nope, start again. I don’t do that AEW tribal bullshit, and anyone here who is serious knows that. You’re the one who brought up WWE, not me.

Reactions: Fro

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Nope, start again. I don’t do that AEW tribal bullshit, and anyone here who is serious knows that. You’re the one who brought up WWE, not me.
Weird, because you're taking serious offense to a fairly obvious observation that Okada has been used poorly.

My comment didn't really have squat to do with with AEW vs. WWE, just that you're getting incredibly irrational in your defense of AEW's use of Okada.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Weird, because you're taking serious offense to a fairly obvious observation that Okada has been used poorly.

My comment didn't really have squat to do with with AEW vs. WWE, just that you're getting incredibly irrational in your defense of AEW's use of Okada.

You’re calling taking offense to using your own point against you, because you brought WWE into this, which is not at all the same booking or situation. He’s one of the most over people on every show. They told you where they’re going with Okada, which is pretty consistent with what any company does with top people, that’s not the same with Finn Balor or Tama Tonga. It’s just not happening soon, but if you believe in your creative and direction, you can’t worry that much about the ratings in the immediate because the goal is long term.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You’re calling taking offense to using your own point against you, because you brought WWE into this, which is not at all the same booking or situation. He’s one of the most over people on every show. They told you where they’re going with Okada, which is pretty consistent with what any company does with top people, that’s not the same with Finn Balor or Tama Tonga. It’s just not happening soon, but if you believe in your creative and direction, you can’t worry that much about the ratings in the immediate because the goal is long term.

Remind me how you used my own point against me?

You do understand that Balor and Tama were bought up because they're not presented as top stars or main eventers, right? You can talk all day about his upcoming feud in 6-12 months with Omega, doesn't change the fact that they're wasting him on mid-card bullshit with the EVPs right now.

You wanna compare it to the two year build with Cody? Yeah, what was Cody doing during that time again? Long term feud with Brock. Long term feud with Rollins. Won the Rumble back to back. Definitely comparable to Okada recreating Ron Simmons', "DAMN!" spot for a fan giggle. :laugh:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You brought up WWE and got annoyed when I pointed out that your examples are not the same thing.

That's certainly a rose colored glasses way of looking at your defenses of him being presented as a main eventer being dismantled by pointing out that Tama Tonga and Finn Balor have gotten similar treatment lol.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's certainly a rose colored glasses way of looking at your defenses of him being presented as a main eventer being dismantled by pointing out that Tama Tonga and Finn Balor have gotten similar treatment lol.
I must have missed the week Finn Balor and Tama Tonga set up major singles feuds against one of the top faces in the company.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I must have missed the week Finn Balor and Tama Tonga set up major singles feuds against one of the top faces in the company.

You must have missed what's brewing between Finn and literally WWE's current WHC? :laugh:

Finn Balor. TOP GUY!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad