Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So Levi will be in Roch all season and Reimer (one way) will backup UPL then ?

I don't think Reimer is tagged for Rochester. I just can't imagine their plan is to risk losing their #3 goalie and Rochester starter to waivers.

I can't believe Reimer would sign up for that either, unless he just wasn't getting any other one-way contract offers from anyone.

I know several media guys (Mike H., Lance L, WGR Joe) don't think Reimer will be UPL's backup. I just don't see it that way.

Now if Reimer bombs in training camp then anything can happen.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
we're not running a 3 headed goalie monster again this year
I don't think that's the plan at all. I think to start the year, UPL and Reimer will be in Buffalo and Levi in Rochester. However, UPL does have a tendency to suffer a few dinks here and there......and if/when he does, I think the team will turn to Levi as the starter while Reimer backs him up. Kind of like how if a defenseman suffers a longer-term injury, Johnson is likely the guy to step in to replace him even if he starts in Rochester.

Reactions: Chainshot

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think to start the year they'll have all three on the roster (until they get back from Europe).
Eh, I don't see that. I think Gilbert is ticketed to be the #7 Dman and I don't think they risk losing Bryson to waivers (which is VERY possible -- guys who've played 200 NHL games and make $900k don't often appear on waivers).

If UPL gets hurt game 1, they'll redeye Levi over and have him backup Reimer in game 2.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Eh, I don't see that. I think Gilbert is ticketed to be the #7 Dman and I don't think they risk losing Bryson to waivers (which is VERY possible -- guys who've played 200 NHL games and make $900k don't often appear on waivers).

If UPL gets hurt game 1, they'll redeye Levi over and have him backup Reimer in game 2.
They are allowed an expanded (up to 27 maybe?) roster for their games in Europe.

They'll bring more than 2.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think the thought process is that we will carry 3 goalies from time to time.

There are stretches in the schedule where it just makes sense. There's a 6 game in 10 night stretch in late November.

Heck, from Mar 1 till April 17th, we play 25 games. You are going to want to alternate your best two goalies in there.

I think Levi will get mostly AHL action to start, but get probably 10-20 NHL starts before the season is over.

I think it'll be 45-50 starts for UPL, 10-15 starts for Reimer, 15-20 starts for Levi

With Levi getting 50-60 total starts over the course of the season between the AHL/NHL.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think the thought process is that we will carry 3 goalies from time to time.

There are stretches in the schedule where it just makes sense. There's a 6 game in 10 night stretch in late November.

Heck, from Mar 1 till April 17th, we play 25 games. You are going to want to alternate your best two goalies in there.

I think Levi will get mostly AHL action to start, but get probably 10-20 NHL starts before the season is over.

I think it'll be 45-50 starts for UPL, 10-15 starts for Reimer, 15-20 starts for Levi

With Levi getting 50-60 total starts over the course of the season between the AHL/NHL.
I think there will be times that Buffalo plays 3 goalies. But it should be really well defined.

Normal operations: UPL gets the starter's workload, with Reimer playing just back-to-backs.

Levi: bring him up specifically to start. If UPL needs a break, Reimer is overwhelmed or breaking down, etc. There should never be a time Levi is in Buffalo sitting the bench as the back up.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
From the UPL thread:

He's made the transition to more of a modern game, and you can see some of his saves look a lot like what we saw from Levi in college and some in the pros.

The "lunging" is a misread on technique by Ostrander. I coached for Mitch Korn at his camp, and he's teaching a technique called "downward tracking." Anyone notice that goalies seem to be pushing their gloves at the shooters, and dropping a lot of pucks? That's a result of downward tracking. You push your upper body toward the shot to get to the puck furthest away from the net. The possible paths the puck can take to score are smaller the closer the pad is to the puck when the save is made. Also, rebounds tend to just drop in front of the goalie, which is preferable.

What Ostrader calls "lunging" is really UPL working on his downward tracking. Since he didn't grow up doing it, because it's new, when he failed, he fell forward. Young goalies learning the technique always end up on the stomachs until they master the balance involved.

UPL is also a far better on staying on his toes. You see his skates are closer together now, and he fights to stay on his feet. By doing so, he's maintaining his lateral mobility with his hips forward. By default, shoulders will be more forward until the goalie masters the technique. You can also see that his lateral pushes are far more effective. By maintaining a narrower base, it's a lot easier to push laterally, even when you incorporate dropping into a slide. On the two shoot out saves, you can see the really small shuffles he uses just prior to the shooter committing, and then he commits to the save technique and still is able to push effectively.

I think now UPL is combining the size with the newer technique. He's able to move laterally on his feet better because he's on his toes instead of the full inside edge of the blade, and then use his technique and size to make the save. Unless he reverts (it's a mental position), he should be able to maintain what he's doing because he's transferred his technique successfully.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ranking each NHL team’s current and future goaltending outlook, Part 3: The top 10​

Current goaltending: How good is their goaltending at the NHL level right now? How good does it project to be in the near term, which we define as the next three years? This section includes the two goalies who are expected to start the 2024-25 season, as well as anyone else in the system who can be projected to play games. The Athletic’s goaltending expert, Jesse Granger, handled this section.

Future prospects: This section ranks each team’s goaltenders in the system who’ve yet to establish themselves as full-time NHLers, with a focus on ceiling and upside. Prospect expert Scott Wheeler weighs in here.

Note that in theory, there can be some overlap between the first two sections. Yaroslav Askarov is a prospect, but will almost certainly spend meaningful time in the NHL over the next three years. Jake Oettinger is the Stars’ starter now, and at just 25 years old he’s also their future. That’s OK, because Jesse and Scott are looking at those players from two different perspectives: How good they are now (Jesse), how good they can be and for how long at their eventual peak (Scott).

Cap and contracts: Who makes what, and for how many years? Ideally, a team will have the security of having their good goaltenders locked in at a reasonable price and term. In a hard-cap league, a good player making too much for too long may be a negative asset, so contracts matter. There’s going to be some guesswork here, as some key players need new deals. For example, Shesterkin hasn’t signed an extension with the Rangers yet, but that doesn’t mean we just assume that he will walk as a UFA in 2025. The key is that this section is about getting value from good players for as long as possible, not simply having the lowest cap hit you can. Sean McIndoe handles this section, with cap info from PuckPedia.

For each category, teams were ranked from 1 to 32. Those scores were then weighted, with “current goaltending” getting a 1.0 weight, while “future prospects” was given 0.75 to recognize the difficulty in peering too far into the future. “Cap and contracts” was weighted at 0.5; it’s important, but history shows us that there are ways to wiggle out of bad deals, although it may be painful.

Congratulations in advance if you’ve been following along and haven’t seen your team yet. It’s time for the top 10.

3. Buffalo Sabres

Current: 11

Granger: I absolutely love the current trajectory of Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. He took major strides in his second full NHL season, stopping 22.46 GSAx (sixth in the league, just behind Swayman) despite playing behind a porous Buffalo defense. Luukkonen’s biggest asset is his mind, reading the ice to stay ahead of plays and make saves look easier than they should. He recently began working with respected Finnish goalie coach Hannu Nykvist (who famously worked with Bobrovsky). At 25, the future is bright for UPL and the Sabres, who also have high-upside prospect Devon Levi.

Future: 2

Wheeler: Luukkonen’s no longer a prospect but Levi, Scott Ratzlaff, Ryerson Leenders and Topias Leinonen are, and each has varying degrees of potential. I still believe Levi’s one of the best young goalies in the sport and the heir apparent (over UPL) for the Sabres net long term, and I’ve got a lot of time for both Ratzlaff and Leenders, even if though don’t have the size teams covet. Leinonen does have the size but I worry about his feet/mobility/fitness. Still, in Levi, I think they have a potential 1A and between the other three, you hope that one becomes a backup/No. 3 down the line.

Cap: 10

McIndoe: The Luukkonen extension dropped this week, and if Jesse is right about where he ranks, it’s decent value at $4.75 million, although at five years it’s certainly not without some risk. With Levi and veteran James Reimer both on cheap deals, the Sabres’ spending here is reasonable.

Bottom line: Did we … did we just dump a bunch of optimism on the Buffalo Sabres? This is so confusing.

I am pleasantly surprised that they have them rated this highly.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Lance Lysowski stated again (on ATW) that Sabres' intention is to have Levi backing up UPL.

I respect that he typically has a good read on the pulse of the organization.

Anything can happen. But I see this one differently. Lindy is not going to want to carry three goalies, and Karmanos wants to have more than one in Rochester.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Lance Lysowski stated again that Sabres' intention is to have Levi backing up UPL.

Anything can happen. But I see this one differently. Lindy is not going to want to carry three goalies, and Karmanos wants to have more than one in Rochester.
I can't see how anyone in the organization or any team related media thinks Levi should/will be on the main roster. Maybe for the trip to Czechia, but after that it only makes sense to have Levi up for a start or emergency back-up if UPL or Reimer get hurt.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Lance Lysowski stated again (on ATW) that Sabres' intention is to have Levi backing up UPL.

Backup can mean a lot of things.

I liked how Bakes put it

"Lots of teams have their organizational #2 starting in the AHL" The prime example was dustin Wolf in Calgary.

The fact is, Levi needs professional starts.

It does him little good sitting the bench UPL in Buffalo for 50 games.

I think the all of the following will be true (barring injuries of course)

1. Most of Levi's starts will be in the AHL
2. Levi will start more NHL games than Reimer
3. Reimer will be sitting behind the bench most of UPLs starts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Backup can mean a lot of things.

I liked how Bakes put it

"Lots of teams have their organizational #2 starting in the AHL" The prime example was dustin Wolf in Calgary.

The fact is, Levi needs professional starts.

It does him little good sitting the bench UPL in Buffalo for 50 games.

I think the all of the following will be true (barring injuries of course)

1. Most of Levi's starts will be in the AHL
2. Levi will start more NHL games than Reimer
3. Reimer will be sitting behind the bench most of UPLs starts.

If everyone remains healthy, I would be surprised if Levi gets more NHL games than Reimer this year.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Weird. Seems like the other way is set up perfectly. What's the rush bro
What's the rush? If we don't make the playoffs this year, the entire franchise gets sucked into a black hole...

Jokes aside, they should play their best players. If internally they believe Levi will be one of the 40 or so best goalies in the league, he deserves starts here.

I prefer the "organizational #2" model of him starting ~35 games in Roch, while getting called up to Buff for 25-30 starts across the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad