Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This is giving me big Mika Noronen flashbacks.

I still think here are the comparables to the last time the Sabres had a 3 goalie GCT:

Levi = Miller
Comrie = Biron
UPL = Noronen

:dunno:

Are you saying UPL is going to play lights out all december, get 0 goal support, barely play again, and get traded to Vancouver in 2 years?

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Are you saying UPL is going to play lights out all december, get 0 goal support, barely play again, and get traded to Vancouver in 2 years?
Man, I had forgotten just how terrible Lindy was at managing goalies. He always had his favorites and scapegoats, and I always seemed to disagree with his goaltending decisions (outside of when we had Hasek and an established Miller).

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Jonas Johansson 4th best goalie in NHL based on saves above expected. LOL, we can't win. Comrie is now our best goalie. Still, love Levi but kid is 21.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 11.04.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 11.04.58 AM.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 11.05.36 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 11.05.36 AM.png
    240.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Haha
Reactions: Svedu

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
when multiple goalies go on to be good NHL goalies after sucking here, that shows something is rotten in Buffalo.

Get a real goalie coach

JJ is having a good start, but not sure I'm convinced he's the guy. Ullmark was actually extremely good in Buffalo on bad teams, albeit injured too much. It's a myth he stunk in Buffalo. Who else has gone to be great since the 2019-20 season since he joined the Sabres? Other than UPL what did he get to worth with the last few years?

Reactions: HaNotsri

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
And now we're crowning JJ as a good goalie cause he's on a nice run, hilarious.

But I learned again this summer that this place is full of goalie whisperers who know exactly how 90% of the leagues non-elite goalies will do year to year, changing teams, systems, opportunities.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Hope Levi can go Sunday.
Well he hasn’t regressed!

Their goalie “plan” falling apart immediately would be such a richly deserved reward for their indecision and inaction...if it didn’t mean another lost season.

Levi falling apart both physically and in net within 8 days is something. Maybe…I don’t know…there’s a reason 21 year olds dont make the jump from the college schedule to workhorse #1 goalie. Crazy thought…that you should develop your goalies.

or…GIVE THEM A DAMNED PROVEN VET TO SHOULDER SOME OF THE WORK.

It’s on Adams.

Dont tell me about one off-season. He’s had four. He shouldn’t get a fifth. We heard for two years that he didn’t want to block Levi and that’s why he couldn’t fix goaltending. The whole plan was to make a player take an unprecedented jump and then ride him. Two years to say screw his development and risk his future. Thats a fireable offense three times over.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Adams is fed up with this stupid goaltending situation, he's had more than one season to solve this problem, but no, he continues to fail with this position, disappointing.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The unhinged have spoken.

Seriously these last few games aren't on goaltending and you can't predict injuries but keep pushing that same worn out narrative of which 93% of this board is tired.
We simply continue to tell the truth, and do not turn a blind eye to the mistakes of management over several seasons. Everyone knew about our problems with the defense, goalies and Granato’s playing system, but some decided that it would do, well, ok, now eat.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
lehner, ullmark, and now johansson
We had a playoff record with Ullmark. Hutton brought us down.

Lehner was part of a dysfunctional team. Murray created a looney bin but we still got two good seasons out of him.

Johansson is probably just having a hot streak.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The unhinged have spoken.

Seriously these last few games aren't on goaltending and you can't predict injuries but keep pushing that same worn out narrative of which 93% of this board is tired.

The insane thing is, is that if Adams had gone out and picked up one of:

Vanacek - .900%
Husso - .893%
Campbell - .878%
Korpisalo - .886%
Kuemper - .890%
Vladar - .842%

instead of Comrie, the same people on these boards that are screaming for Adam's head would be Screaming, "why didn't he get Comrie?!? (.923%)

It isn't and has never been about reality. It is about trying to twist the facts to support the narrative of "fire Adams".

I mean, even Levi with his .893% is not the problem, as the kid has made a ton of really difficult saves to keep this team in games, For some reason, the poor team play and coaching issues will always get a full pass from this group, because somehow it is only Adams' fault and not the coaching staff or most of the players making the mistakes and playing poorly.

It's a deranged crusade.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The insane thing is, is that if Adams had gone out and picked up one of:

Vanacek - .900%
Husso - .893%
Campbell - .878%
Korpisalo - .886%
Kuemper - .890%
Vladar - .842%

instead of Comrie, the same people on these boards that are screaming for Adam's head would be Screaming, "why didn't he get Comrie?!? (.923%)

It isn't and has never been about reality. It is about trying to twist the facts to support the narrative of "fire Adams".

I mean, even Levi with his .893% is not the problem, as the kid has made a ton of really difficult saves to keep this team in games, For some reason, the poor team play and coaching issues will always get a full pass from this group, because somehow it is only Adams' fault and not the coaching staff or most of the players making the mistakes and playing poorly.

It's a deranged crusade.
What about these guys? Most of them have been available in the last two years.

Demko - 93.6%
Hart - 92.4%
Swayman - 95.7%
Vejmelka - 92.6%
Reimer - 93.9%
Thompson - 93.3%
Hill - 91,5%
Jarry - 91%+ always
Georgiev - 91.8%
Saros - 91%

Gibson and Markstrom experienced starters.

A guy like Gustavsson had a very decent season last season and could be had cheaply.

There are always options and there is no way to justify Adams here. My complaints aren't even about Comrie. He was a wild card for a backup role and that's fine, but UPL is bad and Levi just came out of college at the end of last season.

UPL - trade
Comrie - backup
Levi - at least one season in Rochester

That's what Adams should have done, but he didn't do anything.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad