OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Claude Raymond has a book coming out, was interesting listening to him talk about his career on Radio Canada. A real gentleman.

3762386-gf.jpg
When is that coming out?

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Good question, don't know. The author Marc Robitaille has written several books on the Expos and Habs, don't know if any of them have had translations published.
All I see in there is french edition. Wonder if English edition?

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good question, don't know. The author Marc Robitaille has written several books on the Expos and Habs, don't know if any of them have had translations published.
I was thinking be good Christmas present for couple older Expos fans I know. But need english

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Man when I think of my days going to Jarry Parc to see the Expos.
Staub, Fairly, Bailey, Laboy, Hunt, Bateman, Marshall it just brings back some great memories.
Watching my brother cuss out Richie Hebner was something memorable.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man when I think of my days going to Jarry Parc to see the Expos.
Staub, Fairly, Bailey, Laboy, Hunt, Bateman, Marshall it just brings back some great memories.
Watching my brother cuss out Richie Hebner was something memorable.
Cussing out opponent outfielders was a classic bleacher pastime. I remember fans letting Philly LF Pat Burrell have it every time he took the field. They’d chant “Burrell! Poubelle!” and he’d always respond by making a face or with a choice gesture.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson and ArtPeur

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
With the monster contract Aaron Judge signed, anybody here still believes the Expos have a chance of (or should be) coming back? :laugh:

Love the player and the human being. Lets see how this one ages as he has a history of injuries and will be 31 years old. Yankees didn't really had a choice as he is the franchise face. Speaking of contracts, just wait for Ohtani and Soto.

Mets could hit $300m payroll. The whole split teams concept may very well be the only way Montreal sees MLB baseball again.

Last edited:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
MLB salaries are embarassing...................time for a hard cap.
I have an idea, instead of a cap we do it this way. the total budget of ANY TEAM is the ticket sales.
so if you want to pay this guy 360mil then in order to pay for that the ticket cost 1800.00 on average for EVERY GAME. see how many people show up??????????? ever in the bleachers.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Frankly I'd rather get a NFL franchise. I think baseball is not part of our culture like it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even 90s. Nobody plays the game anymore. Kids play mostly soccer. So because of this we would have attendance issues. People would be there for the NFL, though. Fewer games and Montreal fans are an "events"-based. And people from all the province and country would come.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Yeah, dream on expecting a cap in MLB. Not going to happen in the foreseeable future unless sport's economics change drastically, probably due to some cataclysmic event outside of it.
It was discussed even way before Bud Selig's days. Instead, they opted for contraction. Obviously, the Twins and Expos were indirectly exposed. If it wasn't for the player's union voting against the measure, which was logical, there would be no Nationals today, unless off course they granted an expansion franchise years later. MLB's sticken rich owners want nothing to do with hard caps. Instead, they prefer sharing their profit margins with financially struggling teams. This way the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels and Giants can land the best possible free agents and pay them whatever they want. Ironically, the Twins are now a pretty financially stable franchise. The corporate world, as disgusting as it gets.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
Frankly I'd rather get a NFL franchise. I think baseball is not part of our culture like it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even 90s. Nobody plays the game anymore. Kids play mostly soccer. So because of this we would have attendance issues. People would be there for the NFL, though. Fewer games and Montreal fans are an "events"-based. And people from all the province and country would come.
Soccer! Replacing baseball since 1981. We saw that when nobody gave a f*** about the CF Montreal making the playoffs this year.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And there shouldn’t be one, life is about survival of the fittest. If you possess the wherewithal to survive you will find a way otherwise go the way of the dodo bird
That doesn't apply to MLB. Teams aren't compleyely seperate entities. They are also part of the bigger entity - the league. If all the non competitive teams fold there would only be 6-7 teams left. Fans in all the less profitable locations should refuse to go to games and support their teams and MLB would need to change. Of course they won't change and the league will eventually disappear.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That doesn't apply to MLB. Teams aren't compleyely seperate entities. They are also part of the bigger entity - the league. If all the non competitive teams fold there would only be 6-7 teams left. Fans in all the less profitable locations should refuse to go to games and support their teams and MLB would need to change. Of course they won't change and the league will eventually disappear.
18-teams are averaging over 2M in attendance and another 6-teams over 1.5M. There are only 5-markets that struggle year over year. Yet TV and radio revenue even in the struggling markets is still quite lucrative.

MLB is still very popular down here in the US, no doubt behind NBA & NFL but solidified in 3-spot

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
18-teams are averaging over 2M in attendance and another 6-teams over 1.5M. There are only 5-6 markets that struggle year over year.

MLB is still very popular down here in the US, no doubt behind NBA & NFL but solidified in 3-spot
Yes but most of them spend nothing on players and are never going to win except by fluke. As long as fans are stupid enough to support teams that sell off their player as soon as they come up for their first big contract baseball will thrive. If some event happens and fans can no longer afford to throw money away on a loser team MLB will be in trouble.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yes but most of them spend nothing on players and are never going to win except by fluke. As long as fans are stupid enough to support teams that sell off their player as soon as they come up for their first big contract baseball will thrive. If some event happens and fans can no longer afford to throw money away on a loser team MLB will be in trouble.
Americans are big sports fans of the top-3 (NBA, NFL & MLB), vast majority of markets regardless win or lose especially in the smaller markets in Midwest & down south

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I'm no baseball fan, but the reality is that 15 teams have won the world series since 2000. Compare that to 12 teams winning the stanley cup in the nhl in the same time span.

The main concern for baseball going forward is probably that they are the oldest fan demographic in an industry where the entire demographic is also aging.

In the region I live, I actually see a major increase in cricket fields, and a declining amount of baseball diamonds..... And this is an area of Canada that always seems to represent Canada in the little league world series.

Reactions: LeHab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad