OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
So the provincial govnmt has thrown out the traditional political balloon this weekend, to gauge the public temperature on financial help for the stadium.

Sound strategy to send Fitzgibbon at bat. Premier is steering away from this hot potato.

I think they have gotten their answer. Even the mayorship candidates have refused to endorse this.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I’m also bewildered by the timing of TBays leaks / announcements - why do it when you’re about to clinch a playoff spot and are desperately trying to fill the stadium?
Im getting the sense Tampa ownership is just done with their current situation. They are no where close to a new stadium, cant get out of their lease and they cant get fans to come out even when they field a good team. This split city idea is likely their way or forcing something to happen because logistically it doesn't make much sense. But in terms of provoking some type pf change in their current stadium situation, it might have an impact.

Reactions: viceroy

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Say what you want about Montreal not being a baseball town but if the Expos had success like the Rays have lately, turnout at games would be much better than the Rays get now.

They averaged 20000 fans in 94. Add an open air stadium downtown and I'm pretty sure it would pull them close to 30k per, which is close to league average in 2019.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
They averaged 20000 fans in 94. Add an open air stadium downtown and I'm pretty sure it would pull them close to 30k per, which is close to league average in 2019.
When they were contending that year the atmosphere in the BIg O was awesome. That strike killed baseball in Montreal cause after that the fans never came back. It's a damn shame cause if they had made the playoffs that year or won the world series it could have saved the Expos.

Reactions: viceroy

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
When they were contending that year the atmosphere in the BIg O was awesome. That strike killed baseball in Montreal cause after that the fans never came back. It's a damn shame cause if they had made the playoffs that year or won the world series it could have saved the Expos.

Thry still pulled 19k in 95, 20k in 96, not that I disagree it killed baseball here, but it took a few years and dilapidating the team.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Society is different since the Expos left. Even in the US baseball is in decline. Not sure it would work here unless team is competitive and owner is able to spend league level money on salaries and the stadium.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Expos were contending for the division in 92 & 93 also, fans never bothered to show up till Aug.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yep the 94 strike killed baseball in Montreal, not to mention with no salary cap only the richest teams could compete.
I stopped watching Baseball in August of 94.

Reactions: Pickles

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Expos were contending for the division in 92 & 93 also, fans never bothered to show up till Aug.
They been burned so many times. Montreal sports fans back then were not use to losing. From '79 to '81 lost on last day. Terrible trades like Langston, Singleton, Marshall. Losing stars like Dawson, Carter, Raines for financial reasons. They were not use to it

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
They been burned so many times. Montreal sports fans back then were not use to losing. From '79 to '81 lost on last day. Terrible trades like Langston, Singleton, Marshall. Losing stars like Dawson, Carter, Raines for financial reasons. They were not use to it
Cubs fans were burned for decades, same Red Sox fans etc. STL fans pack it in, win or lose.

Mtl never developed a baseball culture, and then through the 80s there was an overhaul of demographics, it’s now a 100% one horse town ... Mtl Canadiens

BTW - Dawson & Carter were not financial reasons as in firesales. Charlie Bronfman hated Carter (Mr Camera), and regretted giving him at the time of signing in 1982 the largest deal in MLB history.

Dawson was simply due to collective ownership collision...he happened to be Bronfman’s favorite player

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Society is different since the Expos left. Even in the US baseball is in decline. Not sure it would work here unless team is competitive and owner is able to spend league level money on salaries and the stadium.
I wouldn’t say decline, it’s definitely the #3 pro sport behind NBA & NFL. It’s still extremely popular in over 75% of the markets, but is definitely limited in future growth

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Cubs fans were burned for decades, same Red Sox fans etc. STL fans pack it in, win or lose.

Mtl never developed a baseball culture, and then through the 80s there was an overhaul of demographics, it’s now a 100% one horse town ... Mtl Canadiens

BTW - Dawson & Carter were not financial reasons as in firesales. Charlie Bronfman hated Carter (Mr Camera), and regretted giving him one of the largest deals in league history.

Dawson was simply due to ownership collision...he happened to be Bronfman’s favorite player
Montreal not a baseball town. Canadiens capture 95% the sports dollar. Due to them having a long history of successful hockey teams. It's different than in Chitown.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The AL East would be a goldmine for Montreal though.

Red sox, and Yankees fans travel better than anyone else in the league, and their proximity will help attendance. I suspect they will pull in a decent amount of blue Jay fans too.

That's a huge change from their previous division which had teams like Atlanta, Florida, Mets, and Philly.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006

I’m not that much of a baseball fan so there’s possibly some parameters I’m missing. But if our projections put us at near league average with a competitive team I gotta say I’m a little worried about the whole thing.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Montreal not a baseball town. Canadiens capture 95% the sports dollar. Due to them having a long history of successful hockey teams. It's different than in Chitown.

The Expos only drew on opening day and when they were competitive. Been to tons of games when there were less than 5,ooo in attendance,sometimes as few as 2,500.

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
With a team that contends yearly for the playoffs I have no doubt fans would show up in a new stadium downtown.The problem is the al.east is no joke.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
LOL
So they were planning on announcing something and then something happened and they won’t.

The political bubble has been blown away and the Group has been caught its pants down.

Back to the drawing board?

Not to my knowledge. Only a rumor came out that something was to be announced after Nov 7. This statement is pretty much to stop speculations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad