All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part X: Are We There Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Republican governor of Maryland with the help of his wife went out and got 500,000 tests from South Korea, and of course Trump is enraged for being shown up like that.

Maryland secures 500,000 coronavirus tests from South Korea; Hogan’s initiative sparks criticism from Trump

Trump criticizes Maryland Gov. Hogan over comments on coronavirus testing capacity

I know I'm generally more on the sarcastic side, but I'm legitimately curious on this one, and my work PC wont allow me to open the article for some reason -- Trump was quoted sometime last week that the crisis response was on the states, right? So following that logic, wouldn't it stand to reason that Hogan should be applauded for not causing a 'drain' on the federal government, and attempting to manage the crisis on his own, at the state level?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I know I'm generally more on the sarcastic side, but I'm legitimately curious on this one, and my work PC wont allow me to open the article for some reason -- Trump was quoted sometime last week that the crisis response was on the states, right? So following that logic, wouldn't it stand to reason that Hogan should be applauded for not causing a 'drain' on the federal government, and attempting to manage the crisis on his own, at the state level?
4ee.gif

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Not in the least bit. I cant read the articles that were linked, so i'm asking if the article about Trump's response was about Maryland going 'outside of protocol' or 'circumventing the feds' here.
It was a joke...

I'm not going to read the articles because of how everything from the President is flip flopping so much. Whatever was said will be different in a month.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
170 shares on a biotech company at 0.99 who's pivotal trial results came back positive today LETS GO

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jeebus...

Not cool if the study is further substantiated. Def not good for developing an effective vaccine

Coronavirus has mutated into at least 30 different strains study finds

It may make the anti-body test useless until they can identify which strain, great, you're immune to the harmless strain, good luck!

The impact on a vaccine and treatment is unknown, all viruses mutate at a fairly common rate, most mutations have no impact on the rate of contagion or pathogenicity - the key is identifying the ones that matter - but those will quickly dominate the population.

Unlike cells, viruses have limited mechanisms to correct or abate mutations.

Just one more problem to be solved, and one more reason to be conservative with social distancing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I think you know the answer to this question.

Reactions: Starat327

BuriedInIce

Mar 6, 2010
San Diego
San Diego to reopen neighborhood parks as promising signs emerge in COVID-19 fight

Feel like it is too early to start this here (San Diego) even though numbers have been lower. I see way too many people already not practicing social distancing and not complying with face covering requests. Way too many people exercising vigorously at certain spots downtown (convention center) and not keeping >6ft distance.

Hopefully I’m wrong. Maybe county officials have been out surveying activity and feel it’s safe. Hopefully people won’t take a mile when given and inch (doubtful).

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I walk my dog without a mask, easy to stay 10+ feet away from people in the 'burbs.
However, no way I walk into any store without a mask these days.
He was given a positive diagnosis less than 14 days ago

I may have misread the story. He was spotted out and about less than 14 days after REVEALING he had a positive diagnosis.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I guess it's region locked for you? it shouldn't be behind a pay wall.

Not in the least bit. I cant read the articles that were linked, so i'm asking if the article about Trump's response was about Maryland going 'outside of protocol' or 'circumventing the feds' here.

Hogan’s move — negotiating directly with a foreign government — drew the ire of Republican President Donald Trump, who has been seeking to defend his administration’s response to the pandemic while arguing the United States has plenty of testing resources.

“The governor of Maryland could’ve called [Vice President] Mike Pence, could’ve saved a lot of money,” Trump said Monday at a news conference while displaying a map of labs in Maryland. “I don’t think he needed to go to South Korea. I think he needed to get a little knowledge.”

Hogan has said Trump is not being “straightforward” when the president claims the country has plenty of tests and the governor said the lack of testing supplies caused him to reach out to South Korea for help.
_______

The governor praised several high-level state officials who were part of the negotiations, and singled out his wife.

“Most importantly, I want to thank Maryland’s first lady, my wife, Yumi. She truly is a champion of this Operation Enduring Friendship,” Hogan said.

Hogan administration officials said they decided to keep the developing operation quiet after Massachusetts reported 3 million masks it ordered were impounded in March at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The announcement of state’s move to buy tests in a foreign country was followed promptly by Trump’s criticism of Hogan, which also came after Hogan rejected some of Trump’s claims about testing.

On Sunday, Hogan countered messages from Trump and said a lack of supplies for coronavirus tests remains “probably the No. 1 problem in America." On CNN, Hogan said Trump’s claim that states have enough tests to reopen “is just absolutely false."

“It’s not accurate to say there’s plenty of testing out there and the governors should just get it done," he said. “That’s just not being straightforward.”

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I guess it's region locked for you? it shouldn't be behind a pay wall.

Hogan’s move — negotiating directly with a foreign government — drew the ire of Republican President Donald Trump, who has been seeking to defend his administration’s response to the pandemic while arguing the United States has plenty of testing resources.

“The governor of Maryland could’ve called [Vice President] Mike Pence, could’ve saved a lot of money,” Trump said Monday at a news conference while displaying a map of labs in Maryland. “I don’t think he needed to go to South Korea. I think he needed to get a little knowledge.”

Hogan has said Trump is not being “straightforward” when the president claims the country has plenty of tests and the governor said the lack of testing supplies caused him to reach out to South Korea for help.

The governor praised several high-level state officials who were part of the negotiations, and singled out his wife.

“Most importantly, I want to thank Maryland’s first lady, my wife, Yumi. She truly is a champion of this Operation Enduring Friendship,” Hogan said.

Hogan administration officials said they decided to keep the developing operation quiet after Massachusetts reported 3 million masks it ordered were impounded in March at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

It pops up as blocked for me for some reason. We're installing new firewall and other stuff, so my work PC doesnt like it for some reason. It also doesnt like brewery websites, so they may have some of the settings messed up. I probably shouldve just looked at my phone, but i hadnt had coffee yet and couldnt do 2+2=4, so i appreciate you summarizing for me.

Seems exactly like what I thought it'd be - getting butthurt over someone managing the crisis at the state level because they werent getting much held (reportedly) from the federal level, and were actually seeing roadblocks instead.

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad