Coach Discussion: All Purpose Coaching Thread Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not really... They're 2 points away from not making the playoffs right now.
I was one of the posters who had little faith early this season but something in the players interviews and demeanour leads me to believe this group will continue to defy odds right until the end.
Do I believe we’ll win it all ? No but I can see this being a competitive and combative group who will go to the second round at least.
I think Maurice and the vet playershave come around big time.
The younger players are getting a real chance.

Reactions: GNP

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Not really... They're 2 points away from not making the playoffs right now.

To be clear, they need to be outpaced by three teams to miss out. Furthermore, the Jets pace has been accomplished while having a lot of injury issues.

So, why do some of you think we will do worse when we start getting players back (e.g., Little, maybe Buff)?

Reactions: GNP

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
To be clear, they need to be outpaced by three teams to miss out. Furthermore, the Jets pace has been accomplished while having a lot of injury issues.

So, why do some of you think we will do worse when we start getting players back (e.g., Little, maybe Buff)?

"to be clear"

Central

GPPTS
3.Winnipeg3744
4.Dallas3844
5.Nashville3642
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pacific

GPPTS
4.Calgary3943
5.Vancouver3842
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
"to be clear"

Central

GPPTS
3.Winnipeg3744
4.Dallas3844
5.Nashville3642
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pacific

GPPTS
4.Calgary3943
5.Vancouver3842
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Why did you waste your time with this and then avoid my question? :huh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Following up on a discussion about odd man rushes at both ends, I asked Paul Maurice if Winnipeg could win a wide open style of game.

"Sure but that's true of every single team in the NHL. You play a wide open game (and) it's going to be on your goalies."

We play a defensive game and "it's all on our goalies"...

JMO, if it all comes down to Helly if we win or lose, then play fire wagon hockey and try to outscore the other team. At least it will be entertaining.

realistically though since the 90’s how many NHL coaches have used fire wagon as the method night in night out?

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Calling it now. The Jets will miss the playoffs this year.

Furthermore, I think it’s likely (~2:1) that they will miss the playoffs in both 20/21 and 21/22 unless there is a coaching change.

Just like at the beginning of the season it’s all going to come down to goaltending.

Past this season I wouldn’t predict. This team could actually be really solid again if Buff plays. If he is done then they have that cap space and Samberg as options to rebuild the D core. The Buff situation created a weird vacuum where our D core got f***ed up and we didn’t have the Cap space to fix it short term. I don’t see that being the case next season.

I am just taking this freakish season one game at a time and I have no expectations on this embattled group. Next off season I expect Chevy to make the adjustments.

Reactions: blues10 and Guffman

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just like at the beginning of the season it’s all going to come down to goaltending.

Past this season I wouldn’t predict. This team could actually be really solid again if Buff plays. If he is done then they have that cap space and Samberg as options to rebuild the D core. The Buff situation created a weird vacuum where our D core got ****ed up and we didn’t have the Cap space to fix it short term. I don’t see that being the case next season.

I am just taking this freakish season one game at a time and I have no expectations on this embattled group. Next off season I expect Chevy to make the adjustments.
Pretty reasonable take.
It’s been weird, we are performing far better than expected.
There doesn’t seem to be any locker room issues this season.
Might as well take it as it comes.
See where it shakes out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think this team needs to have a few different looks systems wise. A low event scheme that Maurice likes seems to be a good game plan for bigger/slower physical teams like the blues that like to clog it up in the nz.

They need to open things up and play a faster more aggressive high event system against the quicker teams in the league.

Problem is that we seem caught between two worlds with our personnel.

Our top line and a good chunk of our skilled young players are more effective at the high event system:

On the team:

Scheifele
Connor
Ehlers
Laine
Roslovic
Morrissey
Pionk

In the System:

Heinola
Ves
Niku

All fit that criteria

As for the Low event scheme:

Lowry
Little
Wheeler
Copp

System
Gus
Stanley

I'm trying to determine what kind of roster they want.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maurice letting Hellebuyck stay in is this game as long as he did is insane,

Show Maurice the door please.

tenor.gif

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Following up on a discussion about odd man rushes at both ends, I asked Paul Maurice if Winnipeg could win a wide open style of game.

"Sure but that's true of every single team in the NHL. You play a wide open game (and) it's going to be on your goalies."

We play a defensive game and "it's all on our goalies"...

JMO, if it all comes down to Helly if we win or lose, then play fire wagon hockey and try to outscore the other team. At least it will be entertaining.
Well we just saw how Toronto is doing first hand. Keefe is allowing creativity with the skill players. They are 14-4-1 since he was promoted. Leafs have scored 4+ goals in 10 straight games.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Well we just saw how Toronto is doing first hand. Keefe is allowing creativity with the skill players. They are 14-4-1 since he was promoted. Leafs have scored 4+ goals in 10 straight games.

Just my opinion, I’m not sure if “high event” hockey is the solution....at least in the playoffs. I can’t remember any cup winning team who won using a high event style since the Pens arguably did back in Mario L peak years. Jets are having a brutal year with injuries/Buff that would cripple any team, add that to the fact this year is being used as a cap & D core restructuring year......being a contender was virtually impossible. By saying that I’m not saying the coaching position shouldn’t be looked at this summer to evaluate who is available. But I’m not in the camp of literally anyone is better then PMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just my opinion, I’m not sure if “high event” hockey is the solution....at least in the playoffs. I can’t remember any cup winning team who won using a high event style since the Pens arguably did back in Mario L peak years. Jets are having a brutal year with injuries/Buff that would cripple any team, add that to the fact this year is being used as a cap & D core restructuring year......being a contender was virtually impossible. By saying that I’m not saying the coaching position shouldn’t be looked at this summer to evaluate who is available. But I’m not in the camp of literally anyone is better then PMO.

Pittsburgh won using high event hockey in their first of back to back cups recently.

Washington was more high event as well in their win.

I don't know if you it's wise to completely open up but you can win with the eye towards offense.

Keefe knows he doesn't have the defense to defend so he's playing to the teams strengths.

Will it work? Who knows but it's likely the best course of action for the roster as its constructed.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pittsburgh won using high event hockey in their first of back to back cups recently.

Washington was more high event as well in their win.

I don't know if you it's wise to completely open up but you can win with the eye towards offense.

Keefe knows he doesn't have the defense to defend so he's playing to the teams strengths.

Will it work? Who knows but it's likely the best course of action for the roster as its constructed.

I guess it’s hard to judge borderline high event hockey or not using purely eye test. Pens cup winning teams over their history at times shut the iron curtain defensively in the playoffs and other times played more open.

Keefe was one of the coaches I was interested in as a replacement but knew is was very unlikely. I don’t see a long list of “clearly better coaches” out there available at this time but I would be very happy holding off on any contract for PMO until the summer to see who’s available.

Keefe knows he has high end offence and weak defence yes.......Jets are similar in some ways. Big difference to me is Andersen is a top 5 goalie and Helle isn’t. Leafs are my 2nd team and used to be my main team pre 2011. I’ve said this many times, Andersen has been the Leafs MVP for at 3-4 yrs since he arrived. Andersen covers up a huge amount of defensive mistakes. Helle is a big slow boring positional goalie who doesn’t scramble very well (see how he kept falling over last night multi times during scrambles). Helle would get light up on a nightly basis on the Leafs imo.

Personally I don’t think we have enough offensive forward depth and goalie to handle high event hockey. Our roster is built via draft more of a traditional grinding defensive or at least two way team imo.

IMO either high or low event hockey we’re missing pieces to be a real contender this year. I don’t care which way we go high or low, I just feel the path is shorter via the low way.

As far as entertaining hockey goes, I like a 2-1 game just as much as 6-5 game.......so both are fun to watch as long as you’re good at it. Losing by 3-4 goals a night sucks regardless if it’s high or low event hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad