Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I think the Sennecke ranking is just within noise... you get 10 scouts talking to Bob, he lands at 11, and probably 10+ talking to Pronman, and you get him landing at 7. I'm sure the actual span is 5-14. And it just depends on who the 5 is, whether he goes that high. I personally think he'll go 6 to UTA.

Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
Just finished watching Bob Mckenzie's draft video and they talked with Celebrini and he mentioned his decision to go back to college or the NHL will probably be made later in the summer, just something to note

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Just finished watching Bob Mckenzie's draft video and they talked with Celebrini and he mentioned his decision to go back to college or the NHL will probably be made later in the summer, just something to note

Hes not going back to college but he wont say that anytime soon.

Sharks will want to make it a whole PR thing once hes on the team.

Reactions: Star Platinum

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I'd actually take him if Grier has faith in him being more mature. That is if the other big potential picks are already gone.

Sharks didn’t interview him at the combine (according to Sheng) and if you draft such a controversial prospect, your owner has to be on board. I can’t imagine that our German owner will be on board with this, if anyone in German media ever got wind of the Swastika-Story, the shit-storm here in Germany would be insane.

Even if that picture didn’t exist, I wouldn’t take him myself for all the other red flags along his way.

In short: not gonna happen and I’m glad.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
From Wheeler’s “rumblings”:

It sounds like Celebrini is leaning toward signing (there were real rumblings, earlier in the year, about a willingness and maybe even desire to go back and chase a national title with BU and a gold medal with Canada at the world juniors, both of which evaded him this year) but that he’ll wait until after free agency before finalizing anything in order to see which veteran players the Sharks surround him with. The Sharks aren’t going to be competitive again next year, but that roster can’t look as barebones as it did this season and I think everyone involved recognizes he needs to be surrounded with players who can help him have a successful rookie campaign.
Makes complete sense and is really the only explanation for Celebrini “still deciding”. Everything is known except how the Sharks will improve the team over the summer. I wonder if this is the impetus for the Goodrow claim and the Dellandrea and Walman trades?

One more top-4 defenseman, one more top-6 winger, and a healthy Couture ought to do it.

In the same article, Wheeler compared Celebrini to a combo of Crosby, Toews, and Patrick Marleau. Which is a genuinely hilarious but honestly kinda accurate comparison. “Who would you compare Celebrini to?” “Oh, just the best two-way forwards on the Gold medal-winning 2010 Canadian Men’s Olympic team. No pressure.”

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Makes complete sense and is really the only explanation for Celebrini “still deciding”. Everything is known except how the Sharks will improve the team over the summer. I wonder if this is the impetus for the Goodrow claim and the Dellandrea and Walman trades?

One more top-4 defenseman, one more top-6 winger, and a healthy Couture ought to do it.

In the same article, Wheeler compared Celebrini to a combo of Crosby, Toews, and Patrick Marleau. Which is a genuinely hilarious but honestly kinda accurate comparison. “Who would you compare Celebrini to?” “Oh, just the best two-way forwards on the Gold medal-winning 2010 Canadian Men’s Olympic team. No pressure.”
I loved the note on the Ducks going Sennecke at 3rd overall. That would assuredly open up the draft board a lot and cause some chaos.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

Haha, yes. Great comps for our hopes and dreams. "Mix between two centers that led teams to five cups, and the player that has played the most active games in history."

I have hopes for free agency... But not high hopes. The worst scenario is that it doesn't go that well, Macklin goes back to school, and Smith has a really bad time (30pts kinda year).

Upside of that is that Macklin hopefully gets to rub off on Sharks 14th pick Eiserman as roommates.

Reactions: landshark

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I loved the note on the Ducks going Sennecke at 3rd overall. That would assuredly open up the draft board a lot and cause some chaos.
Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well. I like Sennecke a lot and he’s gonna be a great player but to pass on one of Demidov or Lindstrom for him seems insane to me.

That said, the Ducks have a stellar draft history in the last few years so far be it for me to question them if I’m honest.

Haha, yes. Great comps for our hopes and dreams. "Mix between two centers that led teams to five cups, and the player that has played the most active games in history."

I have hopes for free agency... But not high hopes. The worst scenario is that it doesn't go that well, Macklin goes back to school, and Smith has a really bad time (30pts kinda year).

Upside of that is that Macklin hopefully gets to rub off on Sharks 14th pick Eiserman as roommates.
I really think Mack is coming out, unless the Sharks absolutely poop themselves in FA. Which is completely possible. :laugh: But I don’t think it’s likely.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I had the thought yesterday and didn't want to say it out loud haha.
I’m only okay saying it because I think Grier has done exceptionally well at drafts. While I don’t necessarily love (or even like) all his picks (looking at you Svoboda) I think he’s for the most part done very well.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Alllll I'm saying if the scouts identify even a Dickison as a top pairing D that's still available at 10 ish they better use one of those seconds. They might also naturally draft their guy Eiserman and use the 2nds to move the 33rd overall pick to the 20's to grab Solberg. Imagine a Celebrini, Dickinson, Solberg haul haha be an absurd run. Anyways, just leaving the draft with Celebrini and a 1# D prospect and nothing else is still a win

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I mean in terms of additions for next year. The way I see it we have two top six quality wingers right now in Zetterlund and Eklund but we need two more.

We can probably make do with one more good winger and then a fill in (couture if healthy, bordeleau, Gush, etc), but we need some stability.
IMO Kostin could also be a decent fit with Celebrini depending on how the lines are setup.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Thought this was an interesting take on the discussion between Solberg and Jiricek:
There were no surprises for me in Bob McKenzie’s final draft ranking (which polls 10 NHL scouts) other than Jiricek at No. 16 and Solberg at No. 20. In the conversations I’ve had with NHL clubs over the last few weeks, Solberg emerged as the top-ranked D after the big six for the majority of those I surveyed. I still think he’s going to be the first of the two to get picked, but that did make me pause and it’s noteworthy that Jiricek has held strong in that range despite the knee injury. I wonder if ranking him there and actually taking him there are two different things, though, given the lost time. Will teams get gun-shy on draft day with him? People really liked him last summer at the Hlinka and that seems to be persisting...

Reactions: Friday
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad