Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
He is watching, he is learning that's what I love about Celebrini. I think the hype is that he is very hungry to be even better tomorrow while already doing amazing things.
His two-way game has 1C written all over it already and I think at his peak there is no limits.
What a great time to be a Sharks fan!

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Listening to the Athletic podcast out today, sounds like Stian Solberg impressed a lot of teams with his interview and personality. Definitely think he’s a serious candidate for #14.

Carter Yakemchuk apparently did not interview well and people are questioning his athletic ability as well as he was “well below average” on the lower body testing off the ice and performed poorly at the on-ice CHL top prospects game.
Shocking, I tell you. I mentioned I had a almost a non-existant grade on Yakemchuk. I wish the best for him.

We could try Alex Zetterberg. After 6 weeks on a stretching bench, he might be worth a 2nd-rounder.
Zetterberg is interesting. He's a waterbug (5'7 IIRC), so he'll be a 3rd rounder, but I think he might be worht the gamble.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Shocking, I tell you. I mentioned I had a almost a non-existant grade on Yakemchuk. I wish the best for him.
Story's a bit more mixed. Pronman's own Draft Confidential article had a lot of positives about Yakemchuk, including scout quotes that he'll go high. Then on the podcast they mentioned he didn't interview well and admitted himself he's not a "natural athlete" re: his poor lower body tests (jumps etc). I watched the public interview with him and he definitely has a weirdness to him, but so does Corey Perry (who many including me on his thread think is a similar vibe).

I still think he's gone before 14.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
What about Chernyshov? He doesn't appear to have any real flaws.
He seems like a slightly bigger "Russian MBN" and I think he may end up being a draft steal, personally, but I wouldn't be the only one who thought that. The main knock, I think, is just "he's good at everything but is he ELITE at any one thing?" same as MBN or Helenius's criticisms (although those two are flavored slightly differently and Helenius is C).

Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He seems like a slightly bigger "Russian MBN" and I think he may end up being a draft steal, personally, but I wouldn't be the only one who thought that. The main knock, I think, is just "he's good at everything but is he ELITE at any one thing?" same as MBN or Helenius's criticisms (although those two are flavored slightly differently and Helenius is C).
I've never seen either play outside of highlights but based on those it seems like Chernyshov is a stronger skater than MBN and he's obviously a lot bigger than Helenius. I wonder if Chernyshov would be talked about in the same terms as Sennecke if he had played in the OHL this year.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
So McKenzie has Sennecke at the 14th spot in his final rankings.

Works for me. I know people are leary of late risers, but when you watch his videos he has outrageous hands and he's plugged in on the offensive end. He has the highest upside of anyone the Shark will have an oppounity to draft , imo. Of course he could be taken sooner and it's all moot.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Anyone else finding the ads to be at all-time level of suck on HF? Had a long post about how I think Buium is really f'in good, then click to edit a word, took me to ad, and when I pressed back it was gone....

Anyway, Buium's speed isn't great, but his edge work is quite strong. Lot of 5'11-6'1 dmen (who may be shorter than 6'1 per combine measurement standards). Fox, Makar, Hughes, Karlsson, Morrisey, Heiskanen, Josi, McAvoy, Doughty all 6'1 or less. Sure, I'd love a Hedman, Power, Dahlin, Dobson, or Bouchard as a 6'3 lead d-man, but really don't think Buium being 6'0 is a massively limiting factor. It's not like he's Luca Cagnoni at 5'9.

To the question, not sure I'd give 14+Vegas 1st, but I'd certainly do 14+33 for Buium (or Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov). I think I might pull the trigger on 14th+Vegas 1st for Buium+2nd in 2024/2025 though. Vegas seems very likely to be in the playoffs. Having a really good D prospect lessens the need for next years 1st (likely top 1-5) to be a D. There is good odds BPA will be a forward next year and Hagens very likely looks to be a clear #1. Can't imagine we'd get that lucky in back to back years, but imagine we draft Nygard at 14 and then win the lotto next year. Maybe we move a star forward, but there are so many really interesting D this year, that I'd love to be able to grab one of the top 6, but especially the 4 named.
I especially love how mobile friendly this site is lol

Anyways

1) MackCeb already filled GMMG's undersized-for-his-skillset-but-overskilled-for-his-size quota
2) Buium's destiny is to be frienemies with MacMac a la Couture-Doughty

Reactions: Gecklund

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So McKenzie has Sennecke at the 14th spot in his final rankings.

Wasn’t this posted over a month ago? I don’t think this is the final rankings is it?

Yup, it usually gets published one week before the draft.
I should have read further. Carry on.

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Phillip Banks too, with an honorable mention to Lou Smith! :sarcasm:

1000004036.gif

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Great content from Wheeler in the Athletic. Asked a ton of experts for top and bottom d-men in the top 6. Almost everyone had Yakemchuk (60%?) or Dickinson (20%) last. He also asked how close is your 7th ranked guy (mostly Jiricek, Solberg, and Emery) was to those six, and it was probably 60/40 against having a 7th guy in the convo. Jiricek most commonly came up with the caveat of (if not for the injury). Several who had only seen the college guys or the OHL guys and didn't stack rank all.

Lot of love for Sennecke from both players and scouts. Players had Catton as player (other than Celebrini) that impressed the most. Celebrini had 23/88 votes, Catton 12, Sennecke 8, and Eiserman 5. You could only pick non-teammates that you had played against.

It's crazy how little consensus there is after Celebrini. Levshunov, Celebrini, and Demidov seem to be the favorites, but they have some knocks as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad