Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
I think what's so exciting about Celebrini for the franchise and leaguewide is the number of times franchises that really needed franchise-changing #1 overall, special talents have NOT gotten the luck for whatever reason, The last two true generational talents from draft day on went to teams that already had the #1 and #2 players of all time, and already won multiple Cups with them. Then Bedard goes to Chicago instead of a team that hadn't won multiple Cups with Patrick Kane. Even MacKinnon went to a team that already had won multiple Cups with Sakic and Forsberg, though he's not as egregious as the others. Maybe the closest thing other than this has been Auston Mathews with the Maple Leafs but they have a much longer history with many other storied talents, despite not having much playoff success.

IMO this concentration of wealth has been one of the limiters on league growth in the past, you just never had that kind of exciting talent, success, and marketing value in smaller/nontraditional markets.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Do they really? I use a 55 flex and probably weigh half what they do.
Matthews uses around 70 flex and he's 6'3 230ish. When I (6'5 200) found this out I looked down at my 90 flex stick realizing i made a huge mistake :laugh:. I add an extension so that lowers the flex a bit, but next time I buy a new stick i'm trying lower.

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Matthews uses around 70 flex and he's 6'3 230ish. When I (6'5 200) found this out I looked down at my 90 flex stick realizing i made a huge mistake :laugh:. I add an extension so that lowers the flex a bit, but next time I buy a new stick i'm trying lower.
Yeah the technology has improved so much that sticks are designed to be more whippy and still perform at a high level. The half your weight rule is no longer the standard.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've heard of a ton more NHL players using whippy sticks now.

I use a 75, I tested a 67 or something a few weeks ago and liked it
That’s straight up crazy. I guess it explains goalscoring to these days to some extent.

According to Google Johnny Gaudreau uses a 55 flex… I might be in luck!
This is the correct approach. Stick flex should be roughly half your weight or less.
Nah, I’m going for a 40 flex next time I buy a stick. :)

• Wow

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
That’s straight up crazy. I guess it explains goalscoring to these days to some extent.

You can also buy junior sticks that are 50 flex so if you are not too tall you can pay half the price.

• Haha

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I would also recommend speaking to someone who can help you find your ideal kick point.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You can also buy junior sticks that are 50 flex so if you are not too tall you can pay half the price.
I think my 55 flex is technically a junior stick (I’m 5’6”).
I would also recommend speaking to someone who can help you find your ideal kick point.
I think you’re overestimating how optimized my current shooting ability already is. :laugh:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I get that but I click on this thread to find exactly that, draft information.
Many years ago, I did the whole stack flex thing but I feel it should be in another thread. I’m not bent.
Apologies for getting sidetracked.

Columbus is open to moving #4. Sharks should trade 14+33 and something to try and grab a top D.

Reactions: TealManV

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
If they are moving it, it is to get NHL talent, because they want to start trying to make the playoffs, not different draft picks.

Cool, then #4 for #14 + Barclay "I only score in the playoffs" Goodrow + rights to Luke Kunin + rights to Filip Zadina. If CBJ is on his NTC, we'll just waive him and CBJ can pick him up. lol

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Columbus is open to moving #4. Sharks should trade 14+33 and something to try and grab a top D.

Going to take a lot more than that, and personally don't know that #4 is where I'd like to trade up to as opposed to 7/8 (if available). Don't think you're going to get a markedly better prospect for the additional asset haul it will take to move up there. I also think this is a lot of posturing by Waddell in his first week on the job to say "open to anything".

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
The only thing that could bring the whole board back into their typical draft day depression state would be Eiserman at 14. Therefore, it must happen because the world will implode if we all turn positive.
It has been covered a number of times, but I just want to put my own attempt into why Eiserman is looked down on as such a questionable prospect, and I think even worse than most people realize.

I think everyone agrees, he is top 6 or not an NHLer. I don't think there is a world where you can be that disengaged off the puck, and be a bottom 6 guy.

On your top 6 lines, typically, because of how the salary cap works, you ideally have a play driving center, a play driving winger, and a complimentary winger. In the Sharks case, hopefully, Celebrini and Smith are the centers, and Eklund and Musty are the play driving wingers. Eklund at the least is the complimentary winger, but I think his vision and passing are too good for him to just be the complimentary guy, but regardless... lots remains to be seen there.

In Eiserman's case, he only can be the complimentary winger. He doesn't move the play up ice or through his teammates well enough to be the playmaker.

You want 3 things from your complimentary winger: ability to finish the chances your linemates create, ability to keep the play moving to your linemates in the offensive zone so they can continue to create, and ability to win puck battles in the defensive zone so that your teams top offensive players can get out of the defensive zone and get on the attack.

Eiserman is obviously exceptional at the first one. That is the only reason he is even on most team's draft boards at all. But, the other two he is actively bad, and that is where the problem is. For him to be good in the NHL, he needs to be with top players who can set him up, however, in doing that he is going to be actively bad at maintaining puck control when your top offensive players are on the ice. So, he is actively making your best players less effective. You want that third guy to be "complimenting" your play drivers, not detracting from them.

Basically, with Eiserman, you are "hoping" for a guy who scores a lot of goals on chances he doesn't create, gets paid a lot, and makes his linemates worse.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

4 + Laine for 14 + 33

The cap space created would offset the difference in pick values.

Going to take a lot more than that, and personally don't know that #4 is where I'd like to trade up to as opposed to 7/8 (if available). Don't think you're going to get a markedly better prospect for the additional asset haul it will take to move up there. I also think this is a lot of posturing by Waddell in his first week on the job to say "open to anything".
I personally have the ideal spot as #6 since I have a drop off in tiers after 6 but if that gets you in that tier then you take it.

My tiers
Celebrini

Levshunov
Silayev
Buium
Demidov
Lindstrom

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If they are moving it, it is to get NHL talent, because they want to start trying to make the playoffs, not different draft picks.
Of course. 14+33 was just a starting point. I’d gladly let them take anyone off the NHL roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad