Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think an interesting question is would you trade William Eklund for #4. He’s the only roster player we have that might be worth that pick.

I’m #1 Ekky fan around here but I think I’d do it.
I guess in that perspective, it would be would you trade Eklund+ for one of Demidov/Buium/Levshunov/Iginla? I feel like you could argue that Demidov has potential to be a more lethal winger and that a potential top pairing defenseman is better for the long term outlook than a probable top 6 two way winger. I don't think I want to do the trade but you're probably better off making the trade.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think an interesting question is would you trade William Eklund for #4. He’s the only roster player we have that might be worth that pick.

I wouldn't, because youre trading a legitimate NHL player for a lottery ticket whose upside is probably around the same quality as Eklund will wind up being.

Just too steep a price to pay for potential, in my mind.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
4th overall gives you a guaranteed shot at one of Levshunov, Silayev or Lindstrom.

If those guys hit they will develop into the type of player who is impossible to acquire on the open market.

Eklunds are not hard to find. You can go out and sign Teuvo Teravainen to a reasonable contract this offseason.

Of course these reasons are why Columbus would never consider that trade. Maybe Eklund+14+33 for 4 but I still wouldn't do that as CBJ.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
4th overall gives you a guaranteed shot at one of Levshunov, Silayev or Lindstrom.

If those guys hit they will develop into the type of player who is impossible to acquire on the open market.

Eklunds are not hard to find. You can go out and sign Teuvo Teravainen to a reasonable contract this offseason.

Of course these reasons are why Columbus would never consider that trade. Maybe Eklund+14+33 for 4 but I still wouldn't do that as CBJ.
Well the simple fact they are “willing to move” the pick shows they don’t value the #4 overall pick as much as they should. As much as it would hurt you trade anything to get #4 except Celebrini, Smith, and an unprotected Sharks 1st.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I guess in that perspective, it would be would you trade Eklund+ for one of Demidov/Buium/Levshunov/Iginla? I feel like you could argue that Demidov has potential to be a more lethal winger and that a potential top pairing defenseman is better for the long term outlook than a probable top 6 two way winger. I don't think I want to do the trade but you're probably better off making the trade.
I would do like Eklund and 33 to have a guaranteed shot at Demidov/Buium/Levshunov/Lindstrom if that’s what it took. Like I said, I adore Eklund and there’s a non-zero chance that he’s better than all those players I listed, but he’s a small winger and it’s easier to acquire that type of player than any of the four I listed.

To be fair, you'd do it because you're a Zeev Buium stan. :laugh:
I am, but that’s not why I’d do it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I would do like Eklund and 33 to have a guaranteed shot at Demidov/Buium/Levshunov/Lindstrom if that’s what it took. Like I said, I adore Eklund and there’s a non-zero chance that he’s better than all those players I listed, but he’s a small winger and it’s easier to acquire that type of player than any of the four I listed.

I think I would do it but I do think Eklund has another step to take. You are trading for some magic beans but they are high quality magic beans.

Reactions: Baysick and Cas

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I speculated on a potential trade up scenario for the Sharks and CBJ a few weeks back. Taking back one of their bad contracts is the key a potential deal imo.

I consider these contracts to be contenders that Waddell would want to move:

Severson - 7 years @ $6.25
Elvis - 3 years @ $5.4
Laine - 2 years @ $8.7m

Then you add in #14 and/or #33 or #42. Potentially add in Mario.

That’s how to start formulating a valuable and compelling offer.

There are reports of CBJ ownership wanting to clear some money off of their books. Waddell wants to make an impact of the roster and needs to financial freedom to do so. The fans are anxious to see some positive progress. There’s a desire there that Grier should be trying to exploit.

I know there’s a lot of ignorance and misinformation about the value of cap space, but it’s still very valuable to a lot of teams and GMs out there.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I speculated on a potential trade up scenario for the Sharks and CBJ a few weeks back. Taking back one of their bad contracts is the key a potential deal imo.

I consider these contracts to be contenders that Waddell would want to move:

Severson - 7 years @ $6.25
Elvis - 3 years @ $5.4
Laine - 2 years @ $8.7m

Then you add in #14 and/or #33 or #42. Potentially add in Mario.

That’s how to start formulating a valuable and compelling offer.

There are reports of CBJ ownership wanting to clear some money off of their books. Waddell wants to make an impact of the roster and needs to financial freedom to do so. The fans are anxious to see some positive progress. There’s a desire there that Grier should be trying to exploit.

I know there’s a lot of ignorance and misinformation about the value of cap space, but it’s still very valuable to a lot of teams and GMs out there.
CBJ also isn't in a position where they have to move a bunch of salary right now though as it's not like they have a lot of high dollar guys that need to get locked up any time soon. They can simply trade Laine and have $30M to sign probably $20M of their own RFAs and have $10M to add as they see fit in UFA or other trades.

Severson is actually a very good player, just signed for too much term. They'd be actively getting worse by dealing him. That's one where you ride it out as long as he's good and then figure it out from there.

Laine will be able to be dealt with retention for a pick probably rather than a pure cap dump.

Merzlikins is the only one that's truly bad (and even he's more below average to average).

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
CBJ also isn't in a position where they have to move a bunch of salary right now though as it's not like they have a lot of high dollar guys that need to get locked up any time soon. They can simply trade Laine and have $30M to sign probably $20M of their own RFAs and have $10M to add as they see fit in UFA or other trades.

Severson is actually a very good player, just signed for too much term. They'd be actively getting worse by dealing him. That's one where you ride it out as long as he's good and then figure it out from there.

Laine will be able to be dealt with retention for a pick probably rather than a pure cap dump.

Merzlikins is the only one that's truly bad (and even he's more below average to average).
I’m not sure about that.

For one thing, I’m under the impression that CBJ ownership isn’t looking to spend the cap ceiling this upcoming season.

Next factor is what kind of contracts they’ll be handing out to their RFAs. Teams have been leaning away from bridge deals for higher pricks recently. So if they’re handing out long term deals that means the AAV will be higher.

They have Marchenko, K. Johnson, Sillinger, Chinakhov, Textier, and A Nylander to re-sign. All while navigating the draft, FA and a coaching search. All during the first month of a new GM.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I would certainly do that. The idea of leaving the draft with Celebrini and Demidov is hilarious, let alone one of the top dmen.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

An alternative discussion though is can we wait for Eklund to become a good top 6 2 way winger and use his maximized value as part of a package for a legit top pairing d-man or even an upgrade at wing. This is assuming something like a more developed Jiricek still wants out of Columbus in 2-3 years or Owen Power is on the verge of a big contract.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think I would do it but I do think Eklund has another step to take. You are trading for some magic beans but they are high quality magic beans.
Right, that’s the reason that Columbus might do it. Eklund absolutely has another level, but he’s also somewhat proven.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’m vote to keep our William. He’s going to grow with all our young ‘uns.

I get why and everything but I’ve grown far too attached and I too want to see him grow with the team and be part of the new core.

I’d trade him for a legit 1D but the question marks around the guys who might be picked at 4 make me unwilling to trade him for that pick.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I get why and everything but I’ve grown far too attached and I too want to see him grow with the team and be part of the new core.

I’d trade him for a legit 1D but the question marks around the guys who might be picked at 4 make me unwilling to trade him for that pick.
A legit 1D, sure, but the 4th pick is not a legit 1D - it's a decent chance at a 1D.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Check out this Podcast: NHL Mock Draft 2024: first round projections by Pronman, Wheeler, Peters and Bultman NHL Mock Draft 2024: first round projections by Pronman, Wheeler, Peters and Bultman

Athletic Prospect Series podcast.
1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Lindstrom
5. Demidov
6. Sennecke - because NHL scouts keep saying he's going higher than people think and it's a star player
7. Dickinson
8. Buium - perfect fit, Pronman "he should go earlier"
9. Parekh - controversy!
10. Yakemchuk (NHL record 6 D in top 10) - they need D (and this was even before the Markstrom pick)
11. Iginla - good fit
12. Catton - great fit for Philly
13. Eiserman (??????? Wheeler says Helenius is too bland and like Rossi)
14. Solberg (Jiricek or Solberg, MBN or Helenius, maybe, but we are so thin on D is the evaluation). "There is some Eiserman smoke at SJ, I have heard. I think he's in the conversation if he's available."
15. MBN
16. Helenius even though they picked Dvorsky last year, just can't fall much farther
17. Jiricek.
18. Hage. Need more skill and are building speed.
19. Connelly. Willing to take a risk for high skill.
20. Chernyshov.
21. Luchanko. "As hot as anyone in this class, scouts love this player."
22. Beaudoin. Also high end compete good sense players.
23. Emery to Toronto. Good luck dude.
24. Greentree.
25. Boisvert.
26. Surin.
27. Artamanov.
28. O'Reilly
29. Parascak.
30. Letourneau.
31. Badinka (at the combine, apparently said "I think I'm going in the first)
32. Elick. double D draft for the ducks.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Lindstrom
5. Demidov
6. Sennecke - because NHL scouts keep saying he's going higher than people think and it's a star player
7. Dickinson
8. Buium - perfect fit, Pronman "he should go earlier"
9. Parekh - controversy!
10. Yakemchuk (NHL record 6 D in top 10) - they need D (and this was even before the Markstrom pick)
11. Iginla - good fit
12. Catton - great fit for Philly
13. Eiserman (??????? Wheeler says Helenius is too bland and like Rossi)
14. Solberg (Jiricek or Solberg, MBN or Helenius, maybe, but we are so thin on D is the evaluation). "There is some Eiserman smoke at SJ, I have heard. I think he's in the conversation if he's available."
15. MBN
16. Helenius even though they picked Dvorsky last year, just can't fall much farther
17. Jiricek.
18. Hage. Need more skill and are building speed.
19. Connelly. Willing to take a risk for high skill.
20. Chernyshov.
21. Luchanko. "As hot as anyone in this class, scouts love this player."
22. Beaudoin. Also high end compete good sense players.
23. Emery to Toronto. Good luck dude.
24. Greentree.
25. Boisvert.
26. Surin.
27. Artamanov.
28. O'Reilly
29. Parascak.
30. Letourneau.
31. Badinka (at the combine, apparently said "I think I'm going in the first)
32. Elick. double D draft for the ducks.
Probably just me wanting to be happy, but I suppose I could talk myself into Eiserman if I had to. Would go in line with noting that Celebrini and Eklund are supposed to be the complete players which allows you to have some one trick ponies in your forward group (provided that one trick is elite and directly leads to goals like Eiserman's shot could). He's also not just a pure perimeter player either like you see with some of the "elite shot" types of draft prospects.

Would prefer that we look elsewhere, but also can see how Eiserman would fit into the whole team building exercise that Grier is trying to do with complimentary skillsets as opposed to just acquiring as many of the same type of player as possible. At the very least, could be a really fun powerplay piece in the future (and could make a really fun heavy OZ start line with Smith's playmaking and offensive game while Macklin does more heavy lifting in an all situations role).

Reactions: StanleyCup2035
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad