Tribute All Inclusive Former Kings players thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The bit that makes me frustrated is the trade for PLD. Bringing Kuemper into it is unfair on him.

The PLD for Kuemper trade was a good deal, but it shouldn’t have been needed. Therefore that does not in any way absolve the trade for PLD, which was a bad one from day one. The pieces I cared about were Vilardi and the 2nd round pick. Weirdly I’m more annoyed about the pick than Vilardi (who I was 100% behind even when his back was screwed). It didn’t need a sweetener. Don’t get me wrong I would not have moved Gabe either, but without the 2nd you could at least ‘argue’ the deal was value.
Agreed, the overall asset management looks even more heinous when laid out over all associated deals, but that is also just the nature of trades in general. It is still bad, but I have more interest and ire in the micro aspects of the deal over the macro. Getting rid of PLD for Keumper is a fantastic win any way you slice it, no matter how PLD or Keumper performs the rest of their careers. Getting out from that contract without retention for another that is cheaper and expires in 3 seasons at a very needed position was a no-brainer for LA.

Everybody needs to take risks and everybody loses trades. The primary issue was that that cap dump was needed and that this management group had literally scouted and wanted PLD for years. There was smoke for many years that BLuc had interest in PLD all throughout Columbus and Winnipeg, even before Marc Bergeron had anything to do with LA. The sheer fact that they watched him for so long and still wanted him and thought he was the missing piece is incredibly damning.

This last season was identical to his play throughout his entire career, there was literally nothing he did differently than when he was with either previous team. To stand there and be like he didn't live up to expectation or underperformed is straight incompetence. I went back and watched older Columbus and Winnipeg games and it is the exact same player doing the exact same things.

Losing Vilardi hurts, would have loved to have kept him, he wasn't perfect and there are definitely some red flags with him. But losing out on the high pick Iafallo would have garnered and having to throw in the 2nd is sort of extra kidney shot that makes the deal so sour. They really wanted him and were willing to blowout Montreal's offer to get him. It should have cost both Blake and Luc their jobs.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
It should have cost both Blake and Luc their jobs.

It still should.

Losing Vilardi hurts, would have loved to have kept him.

I watched him last night against the Flames and tried to watch Winnipeg any time they played last year. It also stings because he last year was really turning a corner and you could see his mindset switching like Byfield is starting to do this year.

These type players start to form the 'core' of the team. When you lose one for a player who turned out to be the complete opposite, you really have to question if management knows how to build a core of players like DL did back when he started to acquire players Stoll + Greene and then Justin Williams, etc.

DL knew what types of players were needed to build around - it is 100% transparent now that Blake didn't learn the most important aspects of building a cup contender.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad