All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Aussies score late to make it interesting, but lose 3-2. Canada's chances getting a little better to get out of the pool.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Men or women the reason why I don't watch much soccer outside the World Cups is because of all the fake/pretend injuries. How would any of these athletes last even 5 minutes in an NHL game?
Soccer physical AF

Canada's group finna be wild. Nigeria 1 now, Canada 2 And host Australia 3. Only 2 advance.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Soccer physical AF

Canada's group finna be wild. Nigeria 1 now, Canada 2 And host Australia 3. Only 2 advance.
Not saying there aren't legit injures in soccer, but it seems lik 90-95% of the time players go down and stay down for minutes at a time over minor touches as if they're trying to draw a card or free kick or something. Everytime someone complains about diving in hockey, all I have to do is watch a soccer game to see what real diving is like and it goes all throughout the game too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not saying there aren't legit injures in soccer, but it seems lik 90-95% of the time players go down and stay down for minutes at a time over minor touches as if they're trying to draw a card or free kick or something. Everytime someone complains about diving in hockey, all I have to do is watch a soccer game to see what real diving is like and it goes all throughout the game too.

Not in women's soccer.

90% to 95% of the time they get right up again and there's none of the rolling around, crying or hysterics.

You also have to consider that sometimes when an injury happens, or someone falls down, everyone just takes a break.

It's exhausting running around for 90 minutes against competition. There are no commercial breaks and you don't get to rest on the bench between shifts.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Not in women's soccer.

90% to 95% of the time they get right up again and there's none of the rolling around, crying or hysterics.

You also have to consider that sometimes when an injury happens, or someone falls down, everyone just takes a break.

It's exhausting running around for 90 minutes against competition. There are no commercial breaks and you don't get to rest on the bench between shifts.

Well to be fair, no player runs the full 90 anyway....there are other stoppages (free kicks, corners, throw-ins) that give all players a chance to take a breath.

Would definitely agree that there are no Neymar-esque flopping crybabies in the women's game though.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I have played both hockey and soccer, and my most painful injuries and falls have come from soccer. Getting tackled or getting studs anywhere near the ankles or sensative areas is a really painful experience. Head on head contact, running into each other with no protective gear...You also don't have the luxury to go off without forcing your team to use a sub so staying on the ground is sometimes the best option.

Though I will say the most painful sport is rugby...Just non stop pain...

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I have played both hockey and soccer, and my most painful injuries and falls have come from soccer. Getting tackled or getting studs anywhere near the ankles or sensative areas is a really painful experience. Head on head contact, running into each other with no protective gear...You also don't have the luxury to go off without forcing your team to use a sub so staying on the ground is sometimes the best option.
Top of my foot is still sore after being stepped on a couple weeks ago. Wasn't even called :laugh:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Though I will say the most painful sport is rugby...Just non stop pain...
People don't understand how much getting kicked with metal spikes on your unprotected ankle hurts.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Not in women's soccer.

Absolutely.

My wife's a lifelong soccer player. She has rightly pointed out that if women did 25% of the theatrics men did in a typical match, they'd never hear the end of it from the Tate/Peterson crowd.

Male soccer players can get away with things that their female counterparts simply can't.

Recently, a German player was asked about "honest" soccer: her response was priceless, IMO. Here's a snippet:

"I don’t know of any female Neymar. For example, I don’t know any female player who stays down for two or three minutes."

Exhibit A: Ashley Lawrence.

Edit: the German player was Sophia Kleinherne

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Argentina has rallied to equal South Africa with roughly 10 minutes left.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tough result to swallow for South Africa. A draw helps neither side really.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England 1-0 up at ht. Great goal by Lauren James on the edge of the box. Denmark came into the game after 20 minutes with a couple of half chances in the box. Keira Walsh taken off on stretcher with what looked like a bad knee injury. Would be another big loss for England.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Have someone film you getting kicked in your shin while doing a full sprint and I think you'll be surprised by your reaction. Simulation does still happen even with VAR, but you're underestimating how much that shit hurts in the moment, even if it doesn't do any permanent damage...especially when you're already exhausted from running miles & miles.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England won 1-0, another unconvincing performance. Russo, Toone and Kelly haven't really got going yet. Denmark hit the post in the last 10 minutes.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Men or women the reason why I don't watch much soccer outside the World Cups is because of all the fake/pretend injuries. How would any of these athletes last even 5 minutes in an NHL game?

I used to think that kind of thing, too. Then the school I worked for had trackers on their players and I saw the distance the players cover.

It's not so much "faking injuries" as it is that when you've been RUNNING FIVE MILES for the last 75 minutes, and suddenly find yourself lying down... you take your sweet-ass time before you start running again.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
That was weird. Haiti thru ball glances off back of the referee's head... collected and scored.

Goal waived off. I've got the sound down because my family is asleep, but I can't tell if it's waived off because:

it hit the ref (??) or if the deflection just made it offside. It was onside when the player kicked it, but they showed the semi-automated offside system as offside!

It probably registered the deflection as "the pass" instead of the initial kick. What are the rules on ball hitting a ref? Does that make the play dead?

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Have someone film you getting kicked in your shin while doing a full sprint and I think you'll be surprised by your reaction. Simulation does still happen even with VAR, but you're underestimating how much that shit hurts in the moment, even if it doesn't do any permanent damage...especially when you're already exhausted from running miles & miles.
I'm not saying you don't get injured or that contact with another player doesn't hurt, but there's plenty of times where players are clearly playing things up to try and get a call. Just look at the fouls in the penalty box in the China/Haiti game. Both players that were fouled looked like they got shot and stayed down forever to try and draw a penalty kick. China got one and scored. Haiti didn't get one. Both were pretending to be injured much more than they really were.

If I had a choice between taking hits and various injuries in a soccer game vs taking massive hits from some of the biggest hitters in the NHL, getting cross checked or high sticked in the face in a hockey game, I'll take the soccer injuries every single time easy.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I used to think that kind of thing, too. Then the school I worked for had trackers on their players and I saw the distance the players cover.

It's not so much "faking injuries" as it is that when you've been RUNNING FIVE MILES for the last 75 minutes, and suddenly find yourself lying down... you take your sweet-ass time before you start running again.
No soccer player runs all the time in a game when they're on the field. Also there's tons of compilations on youtube of players barely getting touched and going down like they've been shot.

This is probably one of the most all time famous ones that is representative of the kind of crap that goes on during a soccer game.

Reactions: Joey Banana

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
England won 1-0, another unconvincing performance. Russo, Toone and Kelly haven't really got going yet. Denmark hit the post in the last 10 minutes.
If Keira Walsh is done, so are they

KevFu

May 22, 2009
No soccer player runs all the time in a game when they're on the field. Also there's tons of compilations on youtube of players barely getting touched and going down like they've been shot.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm saying it's really not that common depending on whom you're watching. There's just as much or more "flopping" in the NBA, it just doesn't look as extreme in the NBA because they don't fall down. If the league speaks a romance language, you're gonna see a lot more flopping than anywhere else.

And on the women's side of things, it's practically non-existent. This is one of the reason I like women's soccer a lot.

The teams who are really good in women's soccer are anti-flopping. USA/Canada/Australia don't identify with it, Asian nations don't think it's honorable, the Germans and Scandinavians don't think it's efficient, and the English know they'll miss the PK anyway!

But the primary reason is that all these women grew up playing pick-up soccer with the boys. If they called a LEGIT foul, they'd be taunted and told to go play with their dolls, maybe not allowed to play. They'd rather eat shit than admit they can't deal with the physical play.

The women do have the whole "I'm gonna lay down on the ground for a while now" clock management gamesmanship stuff. But not the "Stiff breeze broke my leg in the box" crap.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not saying you don't get injured or that contact with another player doesn't hurt, but there's plenty of times where players are clearly playing things up to try and get a call. Just look at the fouls in the penalty box in the China/Haiti game. Both players that were fouled looked like they got shot and stayed down forever to try and draw a penalty kick. China got one and scored. Haiti didn't get one. Both were pretending to be injured much more than they really were.

If I had a choice between taking hits and various injuries in a soccer game vs taking massive hits from some of the biggest hitters in the NHL, getting cross checked or high sticked in the face in a hockey game, I'll take the soccer injuries every single time easy.

Like I said players do still overact sometimes because nobody wants to pull an Özil...who fought through an obvious penalty right before halftime against Spain in 2010, but was too off-balance to convert and didn’t get the call because he stayed on his feet.

But that happens in NA sports too. It only seems egregious in compilation videos when they include genuine fouls that don’t look too brutal but draw extreme reactions. Which again I think you are underestimating the initial shock/pain of without all of that protective equipment.

I was a much better hockey player than footballer since my dad put me on skates when I was 3 or 4 + I developed physically early, and I suffered much more serious injuries playing hockey…concussion, partial ligament tear in my knee, back problems that still bother me if I let myself get chubby…than I ever did playing football.

But I’d much rather take another snap shot to the inside of my foot while busting my ass to block it, a big check I didn’t see coming right into the glass, or a handful of cross checks to the back of my knee from a goaler who noticed the refs turn away; than get studs to the side of my ankle while trying to sprint around someone on a soccer pitch.

Especially because your body is much more vulnerable when tired, and the continuous action + distance covered of football is so much more exhausting than the short shifts of a hockey game.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary69

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad