AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's long long over do that Bryan won the belt. Nothing wrong with that choice
Nothing wrong with it, my problem is we all knew it was a foregone conclusion before the match even started. Both the wrestlers involved exceeded expectations, it was everyone else outside of those two that sort of took a lot of the drama away.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
It was good. Mostly predictable but good. Most of their PPVs go by quickly and are full of matches without filler between them.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ehhh idk, I think the Mercedes/DMD match is getting the correct amount of hate. It wasn't good, Britt was working in mud.

Mercedes had to carry her the entire match
The feedback I was seeing was

-Britt couldn’t keep up with to her pace, wtf happened?
-Mercedes couldn’t carry her to a great match so she’s overrated and Tony should ask for a refund.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not a big Mercedes fan but it's hard to get a match out of a stiff piece of plywood.

One is capable of good/great work looking at her track record. The other is an overrated, self centered twat who must now accept she is nothing to AEW and has been surpassed by a deep pool of workers.

Couldn't happen to a nicer person. f*** off back to dentistry, Britt.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Nothing wrong with it, my problem is we all knew it was a foregone conclusion before the match even started. Both the wrestlers involved exceeded expectations, it was everyone else outside of those two that sort of took a lot of the drama away.
Predicable doesn't mean bad lol it was the right call.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I think I may have been the only person who thought Christian Cage winning the gauntlet was a strong possibility. Although Moxley was my first choice. I didn't see Hangman winning.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think I may have been the only person who thought Christian Cage winning the gauntlet was a strong possibility. Although Moxley was my first choice. I didn't see Hangman winning.
Hangman winning never made a lot of sense to me with what they are doing with his character right now. I didn't exactly predict Christian winning but I am an unashamed Christian mark so any of these jabronis complaining about him winning can take a lap. Anything program with him in it is money.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Hangman winning never made a lot of sense to me with what they are doing with his character right now. I didn't exactly predict Christian winning but I am an unashamed Christian mark so any of these jabronis complaining about him winning can take a lap. Anything program with him in it is money.
Is this the first major one of these things Hangman has been in without winning? Feels like he's always winning these volume participation things.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's

Might be a stretch but I think Darby wins at Grand Slam and we get the Christian/Darby WrestleDream main event again 1 year later.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I find the complaining about predictability that has cropped up across wrestling the past few years too be tiring.

I much rather good stories that make sense that lead to good matches then car crash TV Ala Russo or old Vince shit.

If a story is told well you are going to get situations where the outcome becomes obvious and that's not a bad thing.

Though I do not think this result was even 100% predictable because of Bryan's refusal to ever go over since he came to AEW

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I find the complaining about predictability that has cropped up across wrestling the past few years too be tiring.

I much rather good stories that make sense that lead to good matches then car crash TV Ala Russo or old Vince shit.

If a story is told well you are going to get situations where the outcome becomes obvious and that's not a bad thing.

Though I do not think this result was even 100% predictable because of Bryan's refusal to ever go over since he came to AEW

While I would've put money on Bryan winning, I don't think it was a foregone conclusion at all especially with him talking about neck surgery by the end of 2024.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The thing with Bryan and his career, that I think Tony sees, is that he never actually had a run with a world title as a face. We’ve never seen what that looks like. And I’m sure that he’s not going to hold the title for a year, but it’s something the fans wanted and never got, and that should be serviced.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The thing with Bryan and his career, that I think Tony sees, is that he never actually had a run with a world title as a face. We’ve never seen what that looks like. And I’m sure that he’s not going to hold the title for a year, but it’s something the fans wanted and never got, and that should be serviced.

I wish they did it sooner, but it's good its happening now.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
my question is when do they put the world title on okada the guy is a star feels like there wasting him atm he should be in main events

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

What's wrong with telling a story and paying it off? That's how you kill a company, by not paying things off that fans want to see. They are trying to establish All In as their big show. There needs to be major angles to differentiate it. This was one of the biggest possible angles they could pull off. The amount of goodwill the spectacle of that main event built with how it delivered and how insanely over it appeared on TV is the type of thing that if they repeat that will help differentiate All In from their typical PPVs and keep it viable in stadiums.

With that said, I don't think it was conclusive that Bryan would win, but even if it was, it is irrelevant. Do you think Bryan should have lost at WrestleMania 30 because it made too much sense or was too obvious for him to win?

I don't know how you can watch that match and say there was no drama. Look at the crowd reaction. The storytelling with Bryan playing off his family (I guess he never read Foley's first book). The fans clearly bought into the near falls.

It was a fantastic match. Bryan is supremely talented at the pacing and story telling aspect. In terms of American wrestlers, he has been surpassed at certain elements by the generation after him, but nobody at least in American wrestling can build and pace a match like he does. His best matches are like movies.

In terms of people complaining about an "old guy" going over, the irony is that if they want to use Bryan to make a new star, he needs to be protected. A major issue in AEW with Bryan has been that he loses too much, it means nothing, and while he will always be over it did him no favours to be presented that way, and it diminished what it meant to beat him. Compare CM Punk, who was hugely protected, to Bryan. MJF was already on an upward trajectory, but look at what beating Punk did for him at the time. If a wrestler who is over loses to 1 guy out of 50, that 1 guy is made. If a wrestler who is over loses to everybody, nobody is made. It's also about how guys lose, Jericho is notorious for having guys beat him with the fake Scott Hall style losses that do nothing for them, but that's another tangent entirely.

The post-match with Bryan was great stuff. As far as BCC rushing out. they have time cues to hit because of traditional PPV. The finish in the ring with his family was a fantastic moment, and I don't get your criticism of it seeming choreographed, but I do think it's a shame that it wasn't given time to breath because they had to get off the air. Hopefully, they release a longer version of it online, but it still is a disappointment that they didn't have another 5-10 minutes because it's a completely different thing to experience something like that live as it happens when you're charged up. Almost like the difference between seeing clips from the Stanley Cup being handed off on Sportscenter the next morning vs having it on when it happens.

There are a few issues I have with the overall presentation. I think AEW has far too few actual clean finishes and tries too hard to protect guys, which leads to run ins, ref bumps, and weapon usages. There are times when protecting guys makes sense, like with Hangman getting involved in the main event, but every act on the show doesn't need to be protected at all times. Nearly every match on the main card that wasn't a gimmick had some sort of element to the finish like that, and it bothers me because I think the promotion with the talent they have and the slant towards delivering a product where the in ring quality should be the competitive advantage should be more comfortable with the concept of delivering wins and losses more decisively.

Additionally, I think it's bad attention to detail to have Sting come back the same night they are trying to sell the gravity of a retirement match, even if he did not technically wrestle. I don't think it hurt the main event, but I do think it was poor attention to detail. It was a great moment, and I guess I am nitpicking because the main event was white hot - but I think that is the kind of attention to detail that AEW sometimes fails with. Another one being the Toni Storm finish being so close to the story that lead into the MJF/Ospreay match (babyface won't reciprocate move to heel for reasons, eventually leading to the follow up match where they do it). It would be different if Mariah went to do it, Toni stops her and goes to do it, then the referee is the one to stop her, he throws the shoe out, and the distraction leads to Mariah winning, but when you have Toni outright refuse to do it and they just ran a very similar angle it is once again poor attention to detail.

my question is when do they put the world title on okada the guy is a star feels like there wasting him atm he should be in main events

Let the guy be, he paid his dues. Okada is wrestlings version of the guy who uses that app to jiggle his mouse so that he can take naps while working from home.

Reactions: CDJ

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
How long his danielsons’ run and who is the one to beat him?

I can see a short run and it ends by December. The part about who beats him I’m not sure on. I think there’s many directions they could go.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Britt isn'tgood in the ring and if Mercedes is as good as she thinks she is, she'd be Will Ospreay. She's remarkably overrated.

Yeah I thought the match was very clunky. I don’t think either are that good in the ring. I thought it was a major disappointment. Even disregarding the place on the card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad