Not many teams in the league have a meaner Dcore than us

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Dubas initially removed the teams grit.. then he realized, or Shanahan made him realize, that you need players who are willing to play physical. Feels like it has taken years to inject it back into the roster. Recall that Dubas said its not thst they didnt want it, its they want players with it who can play (or something like that). Or maybe i just like an abnormally physical team.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
2021-2025

Rielly = Rielly
Brodie = Tanev
Muzzin > McCabe
Holl < OEL/Liljegren
Dermott < OEL/Liljegren
Bogosian = Benoit/Hakanpaa
Sandin < Benoit/Hakanpaa

Good case 2021s Top Three is better than this years, but when we get to 4 and below the edge goes to 2025.

This is actually a very useful exercise, and pretty much spot on.

You can make the case that Tanev is a better fit for Morgan Rielly than Brodie was, but let's not forget, Brodie was really good alongside Rielly for a number of years, and then just fell off.

Beyond that, the main" exciting thing about this defensive group is probably depth... having essentially 5-6 guys that could in theory play in a top 4 role on a good team.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
That's great and all, but can they move the puck effectively to our forwards is the primary issue we've had regarding our defense these last few years
Well ... for starters .... how about forwards who don't blow the zone early.

This baby soft team is addicted to getting goals on the rush - goals that don't pan out in the post season unless you are Rielly and Samsonov sleeping on dump ins.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
You're sleeping on OEL's grittyness. Panthers teammates have said he has a nasty side to him

Also had over a 100 hits last year, which is solid for a 2nd pair defenseman
Hed always enforce around the net, total shock seeing that from what i was expecting.
Not a big hitter but he wouldnt shy away from anything.

There were more moments but quickest i can find

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Feels like we have this exact pre preseason thread about how something is the best league wide every year, and every year it never becomes true.
We had one of the most physical teams last year, along with a physical defense.

I agree that saying "best league-wide" seems excessive, but we've been moving towards having a gritty and physical team for a while now.

I like the direction. I think Berube is gonna be huge for this team because I really dont think Keefe knew how to fully implement a physical team

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That's great and all, but can they move the puck effectively to our forwards is the primary issue we've had regarding our defense these last few years

Tanev/OEL are both solid puckmovers so I'm hoping we've made progress in this regard.

I feel like OEL will be a big help, not sure if I’m deluded as to how much he’s regressed but I don’t think moving the puck is a skill he’s lost atleast.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not good for you guys if he hates playing in a Canadian market, then.

But he was always glowing about Vancouver when he was here.

And he was also a giant useless muffin watching a lot of him in Arizona before we got him.

If you think OEL is going to be a physical presence for you, you are going to be horribly disappointed.

Oh well come on now why did I have to read this?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You're sleeping on OEL's grittyness. Panthers teammates have said he has a nasty side to him

Also had over a 100 hits last year, which is solid for a 2nd pair defenseman

Florida has a team mentality where the team as a whole plays a certain way. You'd think Barkov is a nice dude but in the playoffs he was also mean. Heck even Rienhart went to the net without fear and took a hit to make plays.

If a certain kind of play is expected as a "TEAM" the buy-in from everyone automatically becomes easier. When you have Marner throwing hissyfits on the bench, bailing on plays due to contact, etc... how do you think it would translate in the Leafs lockerroom?

anyway thats my 20 cents

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Rub the Alberta Premium on your knees, brush your teeth with the Voltarin……
I think that any combination of booze, voltarin and some recently legalized gummies can only lead to a good time

i-feel-like-nothing-at-all-hawthorne-heights.gif

Reactions: Jmo89 and rumman

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Lmao again, im literally quoting his own teammates. No one is expecting him to lay massive open ice hits

He was a completely different player in Florida then he was in Vancouver. There's a reason he got the contract he got.

His time ion Vancouver was abysmal and thats all you can think about
He said he watched alot of Arizona Hockey. Problem is no one watched alot of Arizona Hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: OVO16

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Since it’s a on paper comparison, I would argue 2010-11 is as good as any Leaf D on paper when it comes to defense, grit and even add the right-left element;

Phaneuf-Schenn
Kaberle-Komisarek
Gunnarsson-Beauchemin

And just before that, the 2007-09 group wasn’t bad too;

McCabe-Kaberle
Gill-Kubina
White-Colaicovo
Stralman
Is Kubina the best 3rd defenseman we have had since the early 90s? Svehla maybe 3rd best on that team but for that 1 year he may have been first or 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad