AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Idk what it is, but i love the Conglomeration.

It's the most random, thrown together of random thrown together stables you can think of but i just works. Anything that allows Mark Briscoe to ramble like a mad man on TV is okay by me.

Reactions: Fro and SnS

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Idk what it is, but i love the Conglomeration.

It's the most random, thrown together of random thrown together stables you can think of but i just works. Anything that allows Mark Briscoe to ramble like a mad man on TV is okay by me.

I think it’s amazing. Briscoe has me laughing hysterically.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Perry/Danielson will be an excellent match. Perfect for a small build.

I still think the aim is Christian/Darby 2 in the WrestleDream main event again for the world title this time.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Hearing the term “full time” was music to my ears.

There are logical big show main events with Omega, MJF and Ospreay down the line. EDIT: Swerve too.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A really hard reset of a show tonight. So much emphasis on story and the matches were all really dull, especially for AEW standards. With All Out fast approaching I get why they booked the show this way, but it wasn’t particularly enjoyable for me.

Sure, the feuds they established and advanced tonight will all most likely end beautifully in the pay off matches, but for tonight I was rather bored.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I could get behind Shane as the head of a shoot fight stable. Logical in the sense of cross promotional story continuity (Raw Underground). That would be a natural foil to the coward, comedic, flip floppy Elite. Perhaps it’s a way to elevate some of the ex-MMA/boxing types that haven’t really found their footing.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sharon Mazer, a sociologist, opines that ladder matches, such as that performed at WrestleMania X, serve to placate the castration anxiety of fans, commenting that, although wrestling is permeated with homoerotic pageantry, the use of a ladder adds realism by ensuring only one performer avoids the metaphoric emasculation of defeat.[5]

I was hoping to find out the origins of the Ladder match, the Wikipedia page taught me so much more...

• Haha
Reactions: CDJ

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
A really hard reset of a show tonight. So much emphasis on story and the matches were all really dull, especially for AEW standards. With All Out fast approaching I get why they booked the show this way, but it wasn’t particularly enjoyable for me.

Sure, the feuds they established and advanced tonight will all most likely end beautifully in the pay off matches, but for tonight I was rather bored.

I think it was a good show for what it was supposed to be. They only had 2 Dynamite shows to build to the top angles on the PPV. They did a good job building to their top 3 matches.

Daniel Garcia is incredibly strange. I can't put my finger on it. He is like a parody of a cool guy from the year 2000. He has a weird energy to him. Like someone who was too hostile in the 8th grade or something. The segment was otherwise good. Garcia is fine in the ring, I just don't get him as far as connecting with him.

I think they could have used the Ishii match to tell a bit more of a story around Swerve/Hangman. Swerve said two key things, that Hangman's career is suffering because he is preoccupied with Swerve. He also alluded to Hangman belonging as a soft dad/family man type. If that's the direction they were going in, they probably shouldn't have had him look like a complete badass in a strong style match. I also think they could have added some sort of story to the match where Hangman is preoccupied with the possibility of Swerve coming down to get revenge from the PPV, and it almost costs him the match. The way the match was laid out completely contradicted the promo, because while Ishii is not a top guy, he is positioned as a tough badass legend type who loses a lot but is always protected and usually goes 50/50 with guys. Hangman just ended up looking like a tough competitor who could battle.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think it was a good show for what it was supposed to be. They only had 2 Dynamite shows to build to the top angles on the PPV. They did a good job building to their top 3 matches.

Daniel Garcia is incredibly strange. I can't put my finger on it. He is like a parody of a cool guy from the year 2000. He has a weird energy to him. Like someone who was too hostile in the 8th grade or something. The segment was otherwise good. Garcia is fine in the ring, I just don't get him as far as connecting with him.

I think they could have used the Ishii match to tell a bit more of a story around Swerve/Hangman. Swerve said two key things, that Hangman's career is suffering because he is preoccupied with Swerve. He also alluded to Hangman belonging as a soft dad/family man type. If that's the direction they were going in, they probably shouldn't have had him look like a complete badass in a strong style match. I also think they could have added some sort of story to the match where Hangman is preoccupied with the possibility of Swerve coming down to get revenge from the PPV, and it almost costs him the match. The way the match was laid out completely contradicted the promo, because while Ishii is not a top guy, he is positioned as a tough badass legend type who loses a lot but is always protected and usually goes 50/50 with guys. Hangman just ended up looking like a tough competitor who could battle.
I agree with you top to bottom here. I really like Garcias ring work, but something isn’t quite right with his presentation. I will say that last night was probably his best promo/character work.

The page swerve segment was great just because of how good those two guys are with getting an angle over. It helps that crowds get behind them no matter what they do. You’re right though, that Ishii match made no sense. It’s most likely that they just needed an excuse to get Hangman to the ring to jump start the promos, Ishii was available backstage, and they knew the crowd would get involved in the match. There were other ways to achieve the end result and get to the promos that would’ve made sense though.

Reactions: Fro

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I agree with you top to bottom here. I really like Garcias ring work, but something isn’t quite right with his presentation. I will say that last night was probably his best promo/character work.

The page swerve segment was great just because of how good those two guys are with getting an angle over. It helps that crowds get behind them no matter what they do. You’re right though, that Ishii match made no sense. It’s most likely that they just needed an excuse to get Hangman to the ring to jump start the promos, Ishii was available backstage, and they knew the crowd would get involved in the match. There were other ways to achieve the end result and get to the promos that would’ve made sense though.

It's an attention to detail thing. They missed a chance to make it more effective by having the match help tell the story. Especially with only 2 weeks to finish telling the story and convince people to pay, I think they should want to make the most of every segment to maximize the story they were trying to get people invested in. Hangman being distracted at the possibility of Swerve getting revenge, and/or Hangman making mistakes he usually wouldn't make because his head isn't in the right place, with the commentators pushing the same story Swerve did after the match, that would have made sense.

If anything, Swerve VS Ishii in that style of match would have made more sense - not that Swerve should pull a John Cena and smile after getting screwed, but it would have cemented the idea that Hangman doesn't live rent free in his head and that's why he is going to move ahead and win the title again. Hangman cost him the title the night before, and he is still able to focus and survive a hard fought strong style match.

Unless the idea is supposed to be that Hangman is actually a badass, and what Swerve is saying is not true, but they didn't really push that forward.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's an attention to detail thing. They missed a chance to make it more effective by having the match help tell the story. Especially with only 2 weeks to finish telling the story and convince people to pay, I think they should want to make the most of every segment to maximize the story they were trying to get people invested in. Hangman being distracted at the possibility of Swerve getting revenge, and/or Hangman making mistakes he usually wouldn't make because his head isn't in the right place, with the commentators pushing the same story Swerve did after the match, that would have made sense.

If anything, Swerve VS Ishii in that style of match would have made more sense - not that Swerve should pull a John Cena and smile after getting screwed, but it would have cemented the idea that Hangman doesn't live rent free in his head and that's why he is going to move ahead and win the title again. Hangman cost him the title the night before, and he is still able to focus and survive a hard fought strong style match.

Unless the idea is supposed to be that Hangman is actually a badass, and what Swerve is saying is not true, but they didn't really push that forward.
They don’t need to put that into this particular build anyway, we already know that much about Hangman

The only good thing to come of it is that we get to see Swerve v hangman in a cage, and it should be a great and unpredictable contest. I guess that’s the important part at least. Still most of us agree that the ishii match made very little sense

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The moxley thing really hangs on me today, about where things go with BCC, adding PAC, is there a backlash there? Is there more outsiders coming in to a new group, MMA/Badass faction? Really intrigued where it goes

I hope they don't go in that direction because I really don't want to see Jeff Jarrett and Jon Moxley team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad