Proposal: All Bruins trade rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
IMO, they're going to be buyers.

Or maybe it's more accurate to say that if the deadline were today, I think they'd be buyers. A lot can happen between now and March 1st but if they are then where they are now, they buy.

The more interesting question to me is, what kind of buyers? Is Sweeney going to shop in the bargain bin like he did last year? They say a leopard doesn't change it's spots. That may be who he is. And honestly, I'm on record as saying I don't think they need a major changes to get into the playoffs, I think they need tweaks. They have some good parts and some talent but the pieces don't fit together well. So from that perspective, I can understand a moderate approach.

The problem is this: If he does exactly what he did last year, and fails AGAIN, he is going to look like a complete buffoon.

So what then? Go big?

To go big he'll have to give up the one thing he's got going for him, quality futures. That might save the playoffs and make the media guys happy but the hardcore fans are going to be pissed.

NO GOD! NO GOD, PLEASE NO, NO, NO....NOOOOO!

Seriously...no more Liles, Stempniak, Meszaros, Potter, Redden, Daugavins, Zanon types. Jesus!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
IMO, they're going to be buyers.

Or maybe it's more accurate to say that if the deadline were today, I think they'd be buyers. A lot can happen between now and March 1st but if they are then where they are now, they buy.

The more interesting question to me is, what kind of buyers? Is Sweeney going to shop in the bargain bin like he did last year? They say a leopard doesn't change it's spots. That may be who he is. And honestly, I'm on record as saying I don't think they need a major changes to get into the playoffs, I think they need tweaks. They have some good parts and some talent but the pieces don't fit together well. So from that perspective, I can understand a moderate approach.

The problem is this: If he does exactly what he did last year, and fails AGAIN, he is going to look like a complete buffoon.

So what then? Go big?

To go big he'll have to give up the one thing he's got going for him, quality futures. That might save the playoffs and make the media guys happy but the hardcore fans are going to be pissed.

I don't think so. They are more than likely going to be about 11th place after their bye week imo.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I don't think so. They are more than likely going to be about 11th place after their bye week imo.
I've noted the mention of a"bye week" several times. When did this come into effect? I must have been out of town or out of touch, but I don't remember this being announced.

Obviously football has one. But I've never seen it in any other sport. And, to my knowledge, it's not highlighted in the schedule.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I've noted the mention of a"bye week" several times. When did this come into effect? I must have been out of town or out of touch, but I don't remember this being announced.

Obviously football has one. But I've never seen it in any other sport. And, to my knowledge, it's not highlighted in the schedule.

The schedules were adjusted to make up for the world cup. The Bruins play 0 games between 2/12 and 2/19. As well they only play 10 games the entire month. It was also agreed upon to get the players on board with 3 on 3 all star game. It will be a complete rest as well. No practice is allowed.

For comparison Toronto will be playing 14 games this month.

It is why the Bruins have so many more games played.

Pacific Division

Anaheim Ducks: February 26 - March 2nd
Arizona Coyotes: January 8-12
Calgary Flames: February 8-12
Edmonton Oilers: Feb 6-10
LA Kings: February 10-14
San Jose Sharks: February 20-24
Vancouver Canucks: February 20-24
Central Division

Chicago Blackhawks: February 13-17
Colorado Avalanche: January 7-11
Dallas Stars: February 19-23
Minnesota Wild: February 22-26
Nashville Predators: February 13-17
St. Louis Blues: February 21-25
Winnipeg Jets: February 22-26
Atlantic Division

Boston Bruins: February 13-17
Buffalo Sabres: February 20-24
Detroit Red Wings: February 22-26
Florida Panthers: February 4-8
Montreal Canadiens: February 13-17
Ottawa Senators: January 2-6
Tampa Bay Lightning: February 12-16
Toronto Maple Leafs: January 8-12
Metropolitan Division

Carolina Hurricanes: February 12-16
Columbus Blue Jackets: February 20-24
New Jersey Devils: February 7-11
New York Islanders: January 1-5
New York Rangers: January 8-12
Philadelphia Flyers: January 16-20
Pittsburgh Penguins: January 1-7
Washington Capitals: February 12-16

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The schedules were adjusted to make up for the world cup. the Bruins play 0 games between 2/12 and 2/19. As well they only play 10 games the entire month.

Pacific Division

Central Division

Atlantic Division

Metropolitan Division

It`s ridiculous, I`m hoping this is done after this year, having games in hand is always happening, teams having 6 games in hand on other teams is just unacceptable and I`d be saying the same thing if the B`s had 6 in hand on the Leafs

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I see the subbans playing together in Nashville. My pick for sure no brainer trade.

Vancouver is going to trade Jordan Subban to Nashville? :sarcasm:

With Jussi Saros on the way up, what would Nashville want with Malcolm Subban, who will be exposed to Vegas (although likely not claimed, whether he's a Bruin or a Pred).

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The schedules were adjusted to make up for the world cup. The Bruins play 0 games between 2/12 and 2/19. As well they only play 10 games the entire month. It was also agreed upon to get the players on board with 3 on 3 all star game. It will be a complete rest as well. No practice is allowed.

Pacific Division

Central Division

Atlantic Division

Metropolitan Division

So this is just for this year because of the World Cup? Was this ever formally announced?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So this is just for this year because of the World Cup? Was this ever formally announced?

yep, I recall hearing teams having time off, what I didn`t read properly was that this time off was as extensive as it is. I think/thought they were talking about 3 days in a row off kind of stuff

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
There are articles everywhere about it.
I know. It's just that I never saw it announced by the league nor noted on the schedule the way NFL does.

Anyway, I have to agree that, if it causes the games-in-hand problem and the imbalance in schedule, I'm against it too.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I know. It's just that I never saw it announced by the league nor noted on the schedule the way NFL does.

Anyway, I have to agree that, if it causes the games-in-hand problem and the imbalance in schedule, I'm against it too.

As far as I know it's only this year. It is also player driven, so if they are willing to give up something, it'll be here to stay.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Well I'm in the you absolutely do not trade Krejci camp.

Not that I think he would or should waive anyhow, I also don't think for a second any of the Bruins upper management is even pondering it....

The Bruins need to address some issues for sure but there are plenty of other ways to facilitate the changes needed to help this roster without creating a new one.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
LeBrun weights in on the Blues being caught in a situation with Shattenkirk's appeal to other teams has dropped off considerably due to the projected flat cap for next season. The Blues may have boxed themselves in by not moving him earlier as the return in a trade would be as a rental and not a sign and trade type situation. The full article is found in the PROsports Daily site or the ESPN site. Sorry the site doesn't allow for copying the link but was able to copy the quotes below.

"There has been plenty of speculation about the St. Louis Blues entertaining a potential sign-and-trade deal involving Kevin Shattenkirk before the March 1 deadline.

Shattenkirk is in the final season of a four-year, $17 million deal and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. If he were to agree to an extension with the team that acquires him, it could help the Blues garner more value in a trade.

I think St. Louis would be open to that kind of scenario under the right circumstances. But I’ve yet to hear of a single team that has actually contacted the Blues about it. Sources around the league indicate that all the clubs that have talked to St. Louis are interested more in a rental scenario for the defenseman.

Why?

"Because of the flat-cap fear," said one Eastern Conference team executive.

So many teams are hamstrung by the cap already, and offering $7 million a year to the 28-year-old blueliner would be a huge commitment to make before next season’s financial landscape is fully clear.

Don’t get me wrong; if Shattenkirk is still unsigned on July 1 and hits the market as the uncontested, No. 1 blueliner available, he’s going to get huge money. But I get the feeling some of the teams want to wait until June, when they know the exact salary-cap figure they're dealing with before splurging on him.

Then again, it’s early. Perhaps during the next three-plus weeks a team will decide that trying to sign him now is worth it after examining all of its options."

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I will only say this on Shattenkirk:

Blues are not shopping him. Teams are calling them (Including the Bruins) to try and take advantage of the Blues situation.

So I asked: "If he remains unsigned by the deadline, will he go on the open market?"

Reply: "Who knows. No one has asked permission to talk extension with his group, so we have to ask ourselves 'are we better with him or by moving him?' Judging by some of the offers, I don't think anyone is looking for an extension, so we just might be better off holding on to him."

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

Blues are not shopping him. Teams are calling them (Including the Bruins) to try and take advantage of the Blues situation.

So I asked: "If he remains unsigned by the deadline, will he go on the open market?"

Reply: "Who knows. No one has asked permission to talk extension with his group, so we have to ask ourselves 'are we better with him or by moving him?' Judging by some of the offers, I don't think anyone is looking for an extension, so we just might be better off holding on to him."
Thank god. Keep him!
:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

Would you see the Blues situation with Shattenkirk any differently than the Bruins situation last season in deciding what to do with Louie?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would you see the Blues situation with Shattenkirk any differently than the Bruins situation last season in deciding what to do with Louie?

One difference is that the Blues just lost Backes for nothing last year, too. Another difference is that STL doesn't have nearly the prospect depth in their system that Boston has.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Two completely different situations. Very few similarities.

Exactly. One team had a captain becoming an UFA, a playoff lock and made it to the WCF.

The other had a fringe wildcard team with a goalie burning out and a top pairing on fumes with a UFA winger on the way out of Boston.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Exactly. One team had a captain becoming an UFA, a playoff lock and made it to the WCF.

The other had a fringe wildcard team with a goalie burning out and a top pairing on fumes with a UFA winger on the way out of Boston.

Yes, but you are comparing last years Blues team to last years Bruins team,

I'm pretty sure he's asking about the comparisson between this years Blues team to last years Bruins team.

Still very few similarities.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Yes, but you are comparing last years Blues team to last years Bruins team,

I'm pretty sure he's asking about the comparisson between this years Blues team to last years Bruins team.

Still very few similarities.

Yes, that's correct. Decisions made by the Bruins last season around the preferred way to make a late push to make the playoffs seems on the surface to be very similar to the situation the Blues may face this year. That would lead to much different circumstances for teams to consider if looking to acquire KS's services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad