Boston Bruins All Bruins Free Agent/Trade Rumours and Proposals III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Man I’m getting old, I keep getting flashbacks in this form.

Redwings need something and it ended up being within the organization.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
In all seriousness is there a prospect you actually like?
I like Donato, Zboril, Frederic, Studnicka, still hope Gabrielle comes around. The thing is I was legitimately serious in asking this, he hasn't shown me anything at a pro level and I dont watch college so I know very little about him. I see him being pencilled in as a top 6 forward and was curious what people thought about him and what stood out.

I also dont like counting on prospects without a back up plan. I hope they all pan out (except Khokolochev)

Reactions: Saxon Eric

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I like Donato, Zboril, Frederic, Studnicka, still hope Gabrielle comes around. The thing is I was legitimately serious in asking this, he hasn't shown me anything at a pro level and I dont watch college so I know very little about him. I see him being pencilled in as a top 6 forward and was curious what people thought about him and what stood out.

I also dont like counting on prospects without a back up plan. I hope they all pan out (except Khokolochev)

In college, his junior and senior season, he was an impact player for the Irish. Plus skater, plus shot, versatile positionally.

I believe if you look at Kirk’s Scouting Blog he has a write up from when the B’s drafted him? Gist of it was that he liked the pick and that Bjork had been a consistent producer for the US Dev Program even though he had been buried behind the “star” players. He had primarily a defensive and checking role, but still managed to chip in offensively.

When he got to Notre Dame his role expanded and he was much more involved offensively. The nice thing was he already had the D zone stuff down. He really started to get some notice in the WJC’s a couple of years back when DeBrincat was hurt and he got moved up from the 3rd/4th line, and made some plays like this:

I think he’s going to be a player, he just needs to improve his “awareness” to an NHL level because he’s not the biggest guy. He’s another guy like Heinen (he’s a much better skater) that can play up and down the lineup and not hurt you.

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
This thread is going pretty much as I thought it would. Interesting, when most thought the Bruins were just a tweak or two away, most the proposals and discussion was reasonable. Now with the fan base wanting a major move to counter Toronto / Threat of Karlsson to TB, it has become a shit show.

I won't lie, I am bummed that the Bruins have been jumped by Toronto, I guess that's why I have been checking this thread so much. However, I just don't see a way this team can be improved in a major way without giving up top notch assets which would leave gaping holes.

Hoping Donny can surprise us, but at this point, he's got to be getting the feeling that he's watching from the sidelines - missing out on Tavares, Kovalchuk etc.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This thread is going pretty much as I thought it would. Interesting, when most thought the Bruins were just a tweak or two away, most the proposals and discussion was reasonable. Now with the fan base wanting a major move to counter Toronto / Threat of Karlsson to TB, it has become a **** show.

I won't lie, I am bummed that the Bruins have been jumped by Toronto, I guess that's why I have been checking this thread so much. However, I just don't see a way this team can be improved in a major way without giving up top notch assets which would leave gaping holes.

Hoping Donny can surprise us, but at this point, he's got to be getting the feeling that he's watching from the sidelines - missing out on Tavares, Kovalchuk etc.

As others have pointed out, basing your “organizational plan” on what other teams do is not a strong philosophy.

Build your team the way you want to and don’t worry about what the neighbors are doing. I would like the B’s to add a young proven Top 6 wing, but only if it fits what they are trying to do.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Speed, puck handling, vision, confidence carrying the puck, two way play, big numbers in college as a 20 year old...

bjork is incredibly underrated around these parts, IMO. he learned a few good lessons this year (mainly don't
skate through the middle of the ice with your head down), and i saw glimpses of pretty high-end play from him.
he's behind the 8-ball a little bit with the injury/rehab, but i have a feeling he'll be 'ready' from day 1. love his
burst and energy out there, think he's a slam dunk top 9 guy.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Inclined to agree.

Realize "the aging core' has few kicks left at the Cup, but would prefer developing players from within.

Wanted no part of Nash or IK. They *might* provide regular season numbers, but beyond that, "a hard pass."

RookieAgentBruinFan

Jun 9, 2015
The Boston Bruins plan "Let our young players to develop and learn with a great veteran core who been in the nhl in a long time and hard worker like Bergeron, Chara, Marchand, Krejci and won the Stanley cup in 2011 with leadership, grit, and toughness". If the bruins accomplish the plan with young players who have big heart like Charlie Macavoy, David Pastrnak, Jake debrusk and more youngsters to come like Ryan Donato and Anders Bjork. This bruins team is going to be special that we could be a cup contender for 3 or 4 to 10 years. But there are questions to the boston bruins is that we need a veteran top six winger to help the youngsters to motivate in the playoffs experience? Or we will use the confidence with no major trade in next couple years for playing against Toronto maple leafs or Tampa Bay lighting if they have Erik Karlsson in the playoffs? Will our youngsters make to Stanley cup finals in next couple years? I'm liking our youngsters making points in the playoffs such as david pastrnak made six points in a game and jake debrusk made 1o points in 12 games. I feel like we don't trade now.

Reactions: Blowfish

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
This team was a goal scoring machine last year. Who have they lost? Riley/Rick Nash? Khudobin? Step away from the ledge guys, it's gonna be alright. Even if they don't win it all next year, they're still a playoff team. Let's get there first and see what happens.
Exactly. Most believed they were 3-5 years away from being a true contender last year before start of visit. They overachieved last year and many of us, myself included, allowed that to alter our expectations for this year. Year 2. Not 5th or even 3rd.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
One thing about young teams... they dont always progress in straight lines

But our core is still very vetern.

Marchand has taken off into unbelievable level of greatness... if he doesnt get hurt we have a guy everybit as good or better than anyone we are competing against in the east

Then pastrnak seemed to take his game to next level in playoffs. We might have 2 guys driving our offense next year at elite superstar level

Of course bergeron remains dominant... not the offensive dynamo these 2 are but always gives us a matchup win.

We start everygame up a goal with just how overpowering these guys are

If rask keeps his game together... if mcavoy and carlo continue to develop... chara remains the ageless wonder.

We are in very very very good shape for regular season.

Moves we might make now are aimed at playoff success... some hole filling

Tavares was worth trying for... but didnt happen. Its ok. We are still very good with a chance for greatness

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
bjork is incredibly underrated around these parts, IMO. he learned a few good lessons this year (mainly don't
skate through the middle of the ice with your head down), and i saw glimpses of pretty high-end play from him.
he's behind the 8-ball a little bit with the injury/rehab, but i have a feeling he'll be 'ready' from day 1. love his
burst and energy out there, think he's a slam dunk top 9 guy.

Absolutely. Bjork is probably my favorite of the Bruins' young wingers (including Debrusk, Donato and Heinen), and I like them all. I expect all four of them to be in the starting lineup next season. There's no reason that they cannot all be 20+ goal scorers, perhaps as soon as next season. For that reason, I don't really see the urgency for Boston to seek a trade to acquire a top-six winger.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Absolutely. Bjork is probably my favorite of the Bruins' young wingers (including Debrusk, Donato and Heinen), and I like them all. I expect all four of them to be in the starting lineup next season. There's no reason that they cannot all be 20+ goal scorers, perhaps as soon as next season. For that reason, I don't really see the urgency for Boston to seek a trade to acquire a top-six winger.
And this is my argument about just relying on prospects. "They might be" "They could be ". I get the risks of rebuilding but they have done well so far, I hate the idea of just giving away seasons when a couple of moves could put you over the top. But I do look at winning one Cup every ten years or so as being much better than being a perennial contender that never wins.

Main complaint is still too many similar style prospects at forward and on the team. Again a couple tweaks and they could have one of the best forward groups in the league, even if Toronto had Tavares

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Based on my small sample viewing size on Cehlarik, I would say:

Heinen has a shot/release as good as Cehlarik's or better, he just doesn't use it enough.

Heinen is a better skater (which is not saying much).

Heinen's passing is as good as anyone's.

Cehlarik is bigger.

Heinen has been much healthier.

I would love to see Cehlarik stay on the ice and show everyone what he's capable of. At the same time, I would not say he's "in the same boat as the other three". I think that Heinen, Donato, and Bjork (depending on health) are all ahead of Cehlarik at this point.

I believe it's clearly:

Heinen
Donato
Bjork
Cehlarik

As far as that group goes.

I don't care how pedestrian or vanilla Heinen's game seems to some people, the kid had 47 pts in 77 games in the NHL last year. Somehow, I keep seeing him lumped in with guys that spent most of the year in PRO, while he was a contributing member of the NHL club.

I don't get it.

It’s going to be an interesting camp / season with a few players fighting for spots. What more could you ask for. I’m excited for this season.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This thread is like a circle. It’s the same argument over and over and over. Not too much rumors or insight, just a lot of prospect vs. veteran arguments. The team is what it is. Sweeney got dealt a team full of NMC and NTC. All with big terms on some. He has cleared some space but needs future cap space for the younger players. Like it or not, I feel every year a team should incorporate rookies. A team full of them doesn’t work. See Edmonton. They have vets to guid them along. Is they’re time dwindling? Some are. It’s what it is. I like that he’s staying to the plan and rebuild through the draft. He’s tweaking because of readiness of some and fast pace of others. I don’t want to be a one year wonder. Hopefully he can build a good team for a long time that plays a good style of hockey. I was sick of the product they put on the ice years past.
I do subscribe to the idea of seeing is believing with the kids though. Too many here insert names in rosters that is fantasy. Not too many make the team out of camp. For me Providence is a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenian24

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
And this is my argument about just relying on prospects. "They might be" "They could be ". I get the risks of rebuilding but they have done well so far, I hate the idea of just giving away seasons when a couple of moves could put you over the top. But I do look at winning one Cup every ten years or so as being much better than being a perennial contender that never wins.

Main complaint is still too many similar style prospects at forward and on the team. Again a couple tweaks and they could have one of the best forward groups in the league, even if Toronto had Tavares

I understand what you are saying about the young players, but the exact same thing can be said about veterans as well.

I liked the Beleskey signing and would have been happy with 4 more years of what he gave the B’s the first season. I had him penciled in as a definite 3rd line player...

And he apparently got fat and happy and fell off a f***ing cliff.

It can happen with any player, young or old, and the league seems to be trending towards younger players getting key roles earlier in their careers. I would love the B’s to swing a deal for a 25-28 year old 25 goal scorer. It would make me more comfortable with the roster, but that means nothing really.

Let the kids audition, see what you have, and then make moves if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad