Boxing: All boxing discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
Really good fight between Crawford and Porter. Was kind of rooting for Porter and it was a close fight until the 10th when Bud dropped him twice. I'm hoping Crawford and Spence fight next to be the undisputed champ at Welterweight.

Very good fight and it was close. Historically Porter for whatever reason can never finish on top in big fights. I fully expected a close 8-9 rounds and Crawford to pull away during the championship rounds. Not sure if Porter is really retiring or he was speaking out of emotion, but at least we'll get to see him during PPV's as a color commentator.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Saw Ortiz Jr has a fight with McKinson. Not familiar with him. I hope he eventually takes a run at Crawford but I would think he needs to face some bigger names first.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Okay, I realize I'm being overtly sensitive now. But I just have to share this. There was a time when some semi-legit boxing-journalist actually wrote a verdict where Anthony Joshua was more technical boxer than Tyson Fury.

Anthony Joshua v Tyson Fury: Who is Britain's best heavyweight? - Boxing News

Please, someone tell me this is a joke and not a legit opinion of the time?
If we're just talking about their punches then Joshua is a bit more technical as Fury is unorthodox at times. More technical doesn't mean more effective tho. Fury also has the better footwork, head movement and defense which could all be considered part of being technical. I think Fury would win quite easily and I don't agree with the writer saying Joshua could beat him in a couple years. I'd say AJ has already peaked.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Saw Ortiz Jr has a fight with McKinson. Not familiar with him. I hope he eventually takes a run at Crawford but I would think he needs to face some bigger names first.
I was surprised to see that's who his next opponent is. I'm not familiar with him either. It's surprising because Ortiz has already beat half a dozen good fighters although most were past their prime. This might be a keep busy fight while they work on getting him a bigger fight.

I agree that he needs to beat a couple bigger names before getting a fight with Crawford but unfortunately Bud might retire before that happens.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Let's see if Mielnicki can redeem that last loss tonight live on Fox. I think they have slightly overrated this kid so far but one loss is not too many...if he loses tonight, all bets are off on his highly touted career.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Why did Louis Ortiz turn down Hrgovic? Gives him a straight line to Usyk.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
He probably knows he would lose bad to Hrgovic and isn't ready to cash out yet.

I haven't seen Hrgovic but I've seen Louis Ortiz last couple fights. I thought he's looked dangerous but that is the only reason I can think of that he would decline the fight.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I haven't seen Hrgovic but I've seen Louis Ortiz last couple fights. I thought he's looked dangerous but that is the only reason I can think of that he would decline the fight.
Ortiz did look good in his last fight, I didn't see the previous one. He's getting old tho and Hrgovic has really impressed me. I probably shouldn't have said "lose bad" as Ortiz is a tough fight for anyone.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Ortiz did look good in his last fight, I didn't see the previous one. He's getting old tho and Hrgovic has really impressed me. I probably shouldn't have said "lose bad" as Ortiz is a tough fight for anyone.

Did you catch the Smith Jr/Geffrard fight? I saw Smith was calling out Canelo after. I feel like even if Canelo has to move up weight he would handle him. Wasn't overly impressed with Smith especially given the Geffrard took the fight on short notice.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Did you catch the Smith Jr/Geffrard fight? I saw Smith was calling out Canelo after. I feel like even if Canelo has to move up weight he would handle him. Wasn't overly impressed with Smith especially given the Geffrard took the fight on short notice.
I only saw some highlights from it but I've seen Smith fight a few times before and I completely agree that Canelo would handle him. Kovalev was a lot better boxer than Smith and Canelo handled him easily. So many better options like Bivol or Beterbiev at 175, Benevidez or Andrade at 168. A trilogy fight with GGG would be the biggest moneymaker but I don't think Canelo wants that fight.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
And Fury ducks Usyk. I hate boxing sometimes. Not that Whyte is a bad fighter but I'm not paying $70 for that fight. I would have settled for Fury/AJ.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I only saw some highlights from it but I've seen Smith fight a few times before and I completely agree that Canelo would handle him. Kovalev was a lot better boxer than Smith and Canelo handled him easily. So many better options like Bivol or Beterbiev at 175, Benevidez or Andrade at 168. A trilogy fight with GGG would be the biggest moneymaker but I don't think Canelo wants that fight.

Right, he's got the W against him in a very close fight. A 2nd win wouldn't help his legacy as much as a loss would hurt it.

I forgot there for a second there was a draw.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
And Fury ducks Usyk. I hate boxing sometimes. Not that Whyte is a bad fighter but I'm not paying $70 for that fight. I would have settled for Fury/AJ.
Fury isn't ducking Usyk, AJ won't step aside from his rematch clause with Usyk. Fury's camp has been offering AJ money to step aside for months now but he won't do it. Joshua's camp is the problem not Fury's.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

Sounds like Bivol in May and GGG in September. I watched the draw against GGG. I didn't score it but it looked close. It's nice to see some good fights this year. Besides being an Ortiz JR fan boy there wasn't much I was looking forward to until this week.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I know I'm talking to myself now but the Taylor/Catteral fight was a mess. Close fight though.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Sounds like Bivol in May and GGG in September. I watched the draw against GGG. I didn't score it but it looked close. It's nice to see some good fights this year. Besides being an Ortiz JR fan boy there wasn't much I was looking forward to until this week.
This was finally made official yesterday. I was worried it wouldn't happen like so many other proposed fights that never materialize. Two big fights for Canelo.

Reactions: eXile3

quickeyg

Nov 16, 2018
United Kingdom
Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte April 23rd Saturday, London England. Whyte did a no show at the Press Conference today, its an early evening fight in America so around 4/5 o'clock on the espn plus ppv channel.
Fury was pretty cool and made 1 or 2 hilarious comments lol. Fury got some brothers shook anyone know why?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte April 23rd Saturday, London England. Whyte did a no show at the Press Conference today, its an early evening fight in America so around 4/5 o'clock on the espn plus ppv channel.
Fury was pretty cool and made 1 or 2 hilarious comments lol. Fury got some brothers shook anyone know why?

Fury's just selling a fight. I saw he said he was retiring after. I still want to see him fight Usyk. I think he has the best chance at beating Fury. He won't but has a much better chance than Whyte.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Wood/Conlan fight was a good one. Conlan was up in 12th before getting brutally knocked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad