Movies: Alien: Romulus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
IDK this is definitely one of those things that gets applied in hindsight, largely due to Fincher's resulting filmography (which I love for the record).

I kind of land on that movie being a bit of a mess no matter how it shakes out. The script just doesn't have it. I still think it's okay - gentleman's six or so - but this isn't one of those movies where I feel like it's a masterpiece if Fincher has full control.
I mean, from a character development standpoint 3 is probably the best of the entire series, imo.

The first two movies are classics partly because they're fairly simple story-wise. (Aliens is basically a remake of Alien with more action and more aliens)
Alien 3 was more ambitious, especially Fincher's original idea which apparently would've included monks instead of prisoners. I think that willingness to take risks was exactly what the series needed at the time. It's a shame studio executives lacked the vision to see it through.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
In Dan Murrell's review he said it has "excessive callbacks" and references that drag the movie down. Speculated there was studio interference.

They just can't help themselves.

Reactions: CDJ and Osprey

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean, from a character development standpoint 3 is probably the best of the entire series, imo.

The first two movies are classics partly because they're fairly simple story-wise. (Aliens is basically a remake of Alien with more action and more aliens)
Alien 3 was more ambitious, especially Fincher's original idea which apparently would've included monks instead of prisoners. I think that willingness to take risks was exactly what the series needed at the time. It's a shame studio executives lacked the vision to see it through.
Wasn't his idea - that was the original script. Fincher was a hired gun on that project (and like director #4 or 5 attached to it). The thing went through a ton of rewrites. My biggest issue is always what happened with the kid at the beginning.

BTW I very much disagree with you on 1) the first two being simple story-wise and 2) Aliens being a remake of Alien. There is a ton of depth in both, and both films show a lot of restraint in shouting plot points and instead allows the audience to fill in blanks themselves. Those two are masterpieces. Alien cubed was always going to be a lesser.

Reactions: RCGP2 and TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Wasn't his idea - that was the original script. Fincher was a hired gun on that project (and like director #4 or 5 attached to it). The thing went through a ton of rewrites. My biggest issue is always what happened with the kid at the beginning.

BTW I very much disagree with you on 1) the first two being simple story-wise and 2) Aliens being a remake of Alien. There is a ton of depth in both, and both films show a lot of restraint in shouting plot points and instead allows the audience to fill in blanks themselves. Those two are masterpieces. Alien cubed was always going to be a lesser.
I didn't mean to discredit Alien and Aliens. I love both movies. Alien is probably the perfect Sci-Fi-Horror and Aliens is one of the best Sci-Fi-Action movies of all time.
Alien 3 is a bit more niche compared to those two. But like I said, that was the right way to go after delivering two all time classics. The studio just lacked the balls to see it through entirely and greed took over in the end.

I know that Fincher has never been the writer-director type, but I think calling him a hired gun is selling him short here. He had a clear vision for his version of Alien 3. It's a shame he pretty much disowned it and rarely even talks about it. But it's understandable, I guess.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In Dan Murrell's review he said it has "excessive callbacks" and references that drag the movie down.
I heard that a notable instance of that is when a character says, "Get away from her, you bitch!" The audience cheered at that, but that just seems cringey to me. That and other reports worry me that the movie doesn't stand on its own.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It stunk. Nostalgia bait and fanservice. Wasn't scary or didn't add anything to the franchise. It
lt'll do well enough this weekend because of the callbacks and seal clapping "oooh remember that?" but as a movie it was empty.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
9.5/10. It's a near-perfect addition to the Alien franchise that is brought down only by a single, somewhat baffling, CGI decision. Perhaps most impressive, though, is how it takes one of the weakest ideas in the entire franchise and twists it into one of Romulus' greatest strengths. Fede Alvarez cooked with this one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
9.5/10. It's a near-perfect addition to the Alien franchise that is brought down only by a single, somewhat baffling, CGI decision. Perhaps most impressive, though, is how it takes one of the weakest ideas in the entire franchise and twists it into one of Romulus' greatest strengths. Fede Alvarez cooked with this one.
I know exactly what you're referencing, and completely agree on both counts. Alien franchise fans need to see this gem without spoilers, so good on you!

It ranks right with Aliens and just below Alien at the top of my ratings for the franchise. Some of that might be new movie euphoria, but Romulus delivered on every count. Seeing it in a D-BOX theatre was incredible.

Reactions: The Merchant

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Saw it in IMAX and loved it.
Callbacks to at least 4 of the previous movies and done well enough to not make it corny.
People complaining way too much about some of those things, just sit back and enjoy.

Reactions: The Merchant

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I didn't mean to discredit Alien and Aliens. I love both movies. Alien is probably the perfect Sci-Fi-Horror and Aliens is one of the best Sci-Fi-Action movies of all time.
Alien 3 is a bit more niche compared to those two. But like I said, that was the right way to go after delivering two all time classics. The studio just lacked the balls to see it through entirely and greed took over in the end.

I know that Fincher has never been the writer-director type, but I think calling him a hired gun is selling him short here. He had a clear vision for his version of Alien 3. It's a shame he pretty much disowned it and rarely even talks about it. But it's understandable, I guess.

The franchise never really rebounded after Alien 3. I thought that movie had some really good individual performances from Weaver, Dance, and Dutton, but the film as a whole just seemed like a mess (which isn't surprising given the amount of studio interference that happened).

I'm not sure what the best direction would have been for Alien 3. I know killing off the survivors from Aliens at the beginning really put off a lot of fans of the franchise, but I think if they made the film "Aliens 2," while probably being the safer option, wouldn't have been anywhere near as memorable or highly regarded as Aliens was.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Good movie. Gets a lot of things right. A few flaws -- I don't know how many times directors/studios need to hear it but that level of CGI still isn't there. It looks bad every, single time.

My gut reaction drops it squarely in the middle of the series for me -- #4 of the 7 movies. (I don't count the AvPs).

Reactions: Jovavic

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Good movie. Gets a lot of things right. A few flaws -- I don't know how many times directors/studios need to hear it but that level of CGI still isn't there. It looks bad every, single time.

My gut reaction drops it squarely in the middle of the series for me -- #4 of the 7 movies. (I don't count the AvPs).

Behind the first two obviously. What's the third, Prometheus?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Behind the first two obviously. What's the third, Prometheus?
Alien 3, honestly. Was just posting about this in the "last movie you watched" thread. I fully concede there are three movies that are "better" than Alien 3 in a lot of tangible ways, but I think Alien 3, despite its flaws, is much more interesting.

Reactions: Raging Bull

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Alien 3, honestly. Was just posting about this in the "last movie you watched" thread. I fully concede there are three movies that are "better" than Alien 3 in a lot of tangible ways, but I think Alien 3, despite its flaws, is much more interesting.
I like 3 a lot. Very desolate and depressing.
But Romulus has more structure and better pacing imo. I won’t hate your choice though.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The franchise never really rebounded after Alien 3. I thought that movie had some really good individual performances from Weaver, Dance, and Dutton, but the film as a whole just seemed like a mess (which isn't surprising given the amount of studio interference that happened).

I'm not sure what the best direction would have been for Alien 3. I know killing off the survivors from Aliens at the beginning really put off a lot of fans of the franchise, but I think if they made the film "Aliens 2," while probably being the safer option, wouldn't have been anywhere near as memorable or highly regarded as Aliens was.
Tbf, I think Alien 4 was the one that killed the franchise for a while. That movie was just a bit too weird and it felt like they were running out of ideas at that point.

I just like the general tone of Alien 3. It's a bit of a depressing movie and killing off Hicks and Newt was a bold decision, but having a little girl in that scenario probably would've felt wrong anyway.
Apart from Alien and Aliens it's the only Alien movie I like to rewatch from time to time. Can't even tell the last time I actually watched Alien 4.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Tbf, I think Alien 4 was the one that killed the franchise for a while. That movie was just a bit too weird and it felt like they were running out of ideas at that point.

I just like the general tone of Alien 3. It's a bit of a depressing movie and killing off Hicks and Newt was a bold decision, but having a little girl in that scenario probably would've felt wrong anyway.
Apart from Alien and Aliens it's the only Alien movie I like to rewatch from time to time. Can't even tell the last time I actually watched Alien 4.
4 is the definitely the artsy fartsy one. Thanks a lot Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yaaaaaa I’m throwing a 9/10 on this puppy

sick movie, pretty close to being on par with Alien and Aliens in terms of quality but not as impressive of a feat obvs given that it’s 2024 and not 1979. I got it 3rd. Great job Fede Alvarez.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

I mentioned earlier I was very young and a huge Aliens fan (movie and arcade game) and liked Alien so I followed all that stuff with any material I could (Starlog for example). In the pre-internet days, once it got leaked that Newt and Hicks were killed, the movie was dead on arrival. I remember going to barbecues with my parents or even at day camp there was such a negative and depressing vibe associated with the film.

Could they have done "Aliens 2?" Yes and no. People were expecting Aliens on earth so my idea would be to have made Weyland-Yutani frame Ripley/Newt/Hicks/Bishop for damaging company property and killing the colonists and they'd be fugitives on earth. From there...they go straight to Marvel's original Venom Miniseries where they're saved by an isolated underground community who is trying to overthrow Weyland-Yutani and have to deal with the usual company trying to mess with the xenomorphs who got out and are both killing company employees and the underground. They still meet Bishop's creator and Bishop gets upgraded to fight a genetically engineered Queen at the end.

The prison movie we got could have been a spinoff with a different actor a few years later that accidentally lands on Florina 161 (maybe even the doctor from that film) and their story gets interlocked with Ripley and friends for a 5th film.

Reactions: TCTC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad