Movies: Alien: Romulus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I mentioned earlier I was very young and a huge Aliens fan (movie and arcade game) and liked Alien so I followed all that stuff with any material I could (Starlog for example). In the pre-internet days, once it got leaked that Newt and Hicks were killed, the movie was dead on arrival. I remember going to barbecues with my parents or even at day camp there was such a negative and depressing vibe associated with the film.

Could they have done "Aliens 2?" Yes and no. People were expecting Aliens on earth so my idea would be to have made Weyland-Yutani frame Ripley/Newt/Hicks/Bishop for damaging company property and killing the colonists and they'd be fugitives on earth. From there...they go straight to Marvel's original Venom Miniseries where they're saved by an isolated underground community who is trying to overthrow Weyland-Yutani and have to deal with the usual company trying to mess with the xenomorphs who got out and are both killing company employees and the underground. They still meet Bishop's creator and Bishop gets upgraded to fight a genetically engineered Queen at the end.

The prison movie we got could have been a spinoff with a different actor a few years later that accidentally lands on Florina 161 (maybe even the doctor from that film) and their story gets interlocked with Ripley and friends for a 5th film.
Not a fan of the Aliens on Earth idea, tbh. I mean, where do you even go from there when you opened that can of worms? Would pretty much end the series, no?

Personally, I like that they never even showed Earth in these Alien movies.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'll give it 5/10

The scenes with the Aliens are cool but I didn't like the cast at all and never really connected with any of the actors so because of that I found a chunk of the movie to be pretty boring.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
They definitely went all out on the fan service similar to Top Gun: Maverick. It was a love letter to fans of the original quadrilogy.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The de-aging process has been done enough times across movies and TV and it's never looked right, they should've just hired a different actor instead of trying too hard to have a call back to the first movie. The only real black mark on the movie.
It looked a little goofy for sure but was that even de-aging? Pretty sure the original actor is just flat out dead and they got permission from the family to use his likeness.

Best example of de-aging in film history is John Kramer in Saw 3D

IMG_3876.jpeg

Young and spry again

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Not a fan of the Aliens on Earth idea, tbh. I mean, where do you even go from there when you opened that can of worms? Would pretty much end the series, no?

The graphic novel is really good. It expands heavily on how Xeno's, but specifically the Queen, are able to manipulate sentient beings. For a good long time, before anyone even knows Xeno's are on the planet, she mind-f***s a large portion of the Earths populace with nightmares that gradually break down the afflicted's ability to think critically.

Reactions: TCTC

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

The issue with that is they did end up about to land on earth for that wacky Alien: Resurrection which ended the original series without a confrontation.

My whole argument/point was that's what was in demand, that's what was advertised, and that's the sequel the audience wanted. I get you don't always cave to expectations and while 3 was a cool artsy film, the negative vibe it had set the franchise back.

You do three on earth, four as a mostly unconnected penal colony or ice planet story where Ripley or Bishop's creator shows up at the end, and five as a crossover "Let's go hunt the homeworld" type deal, that sets them up for the 90s, probably makes more money, and we as the audience are saved from Resurrection and the completely useless and unnecessary AvP movies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They definitely went all out on the fan service similar to Top Gun: Maverick. It was a love letter to fans of the original quadrilogy.
I'd say it was more like Star Trek: Picard Season Three in the "hey let's throw in references that don't help the story but will get people to clap like seals and post positive stuff on social media."

Maverick had a little fan service, but it was more about how Maverick the character hadn't evolved in the 30 years since and has kind of been a letdown, but is still really really good at what he does, along with having to come to terms with Goose's death and later Ice Man's.

This didn't have Ripley and it used the Star Wars "hey you saw the Death Star get vaporized but not really we're gonna retcon it" nonsense with the Nostromo.

Reactions: SniperHF

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Can't believe the thing at the end was an actual person and not CG created
if you’re really, really tall and basketball doesn’t work out the horror industry will take you in with open arms. They’re constantly in need of freaky gangly boys

Reactions: Jovavic

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This finally came to theater in the small pocket of the North we live in, and my teenaged son and I went to see it. We’d managed to avoid spoilers and I’m glad we did. We had an awesome time. Easily my favourite of the series since Aliens, I’d probably give it a solid 7/10.

The two most controversial things, to me, were Rook and Andy’s big line. For Rook, I didn’t so much have an issue with the idea of using him as a character or anything like that - it’s more that his appearance, and how poor that CGI was, brought me right out of the movie at first. This movie is absolutely gorgeous in almost every other way, and an absolute tower of strength of practical effects, too - but that had some serious uncanny valley vibes to it. Once I got past the initial shock, it was fine, and it worked for the story - so really, it’s just a gripe over its look.

And Andy’s line - I didn’t hate it. And in fact, our theatre popped quite nicely at it. But it still seems a bit shoe horned in. I thought Rain’s “die motherf***er” was a far more organic callback (we miss you, Hudson).

But man, this movie delivered. Some absolutely great set pieces - the cryo lab, the hallway, the zero gravity, the locked door, the final act…this was a fun movie to be scared of. And man, did it make effective use of face huggers to make your skin crawl.

Andy and Rain were the standout performers. Hat tip to Kay as well, who delivered possibly the best scream in the whole franchise, and then proceeds to have a terrible, no good, very bad day. But Rain carried on the proud tradition of badass female leads in this franchise, and Andy just did an amazing job playing very different versions of himself with very different motivations.

Lots of fun. Will definitely watch it again.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
As someone who isn't big into the Alien franchise, I enjoyed this movie. 7/10.

Agreed on the iffy and unnecessary CGI. The best I've seen was in Blade Runner 2049.

Andy's one line felt awkward to me but I took that as him "learning" insults. Again, I'm not a big Aliens fan so I didn't realize that that was a quote from a previous movie.

Also, I felt like the movie ran a little bit too long.

To add: if we ever get a live action Metroid, this is the aesthetic I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Now that the movie has been out for a while, and spoilers aren't necessary:

Can we agree that there was only one really weird scene with Rook that looked cringy? The one with him on the counter, kind of looking at an angle. I thought that for the rest of the scenes, he looked quite normal. And is there a reason for it, perhaps from the director or special effects crew? The rest of the movie is too well done for this scene to stick out like a sore thumb for me. Am I wrong?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thought it was well done. Solid 7.5/10. Definitely stayed true to the original's vision. The last bit lost me a little but I thought for the most part this was a good addition to the franchise. The guy who played the synthetic Andy did an incredible job. Death by Xenoussy squirt was a new one :laugh:

Now that the movie has been out for a while, and spoilers aren't necessary:

Can we agree that there was only one really weird scene with Rook that looked cringy? The one with him on the counter, kind of looking at an angle. I thought that for the rest of the scenes, he looked quite normal. And is there a reason for it, perhaps from the director or special effects crew? The rest of the movie is too well done for this scene to stick out like a sore thumb for me. Am I wrong?

Didn't really remember thinking it was that egregious. CGI Luke Skywalker in the Mandalorian was more jarring. The CGI in Romulus in general was quite seamless, which for a movie that surely had a lot of it is still kinda rare. It looked dark in the right places and the modeling for the xenomorphs were excellent. Stunning space scenes too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad