Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
There’s a decent chance he’s considered our best forward by the end of this year. It’s really hard to come up with a number that’s too high on an 8 year deal that won’t look good in a couple years with a rising cap.

He absolutely was our most dynamic forward throughout the last playoffs. Picking up just where he left off.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
1728613583781.png

Great news!! get it done!

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Laf making less than Zibanejad would be a major boost for this team. He's become one of the better 5v5 players in the league. You're going to get 100 points out of him once he actually gets PP1 time.

Couldn't be more thrilled with the 180 he's made since year 3. Finally put in the real work and got results. Have to wonder that Kakko saw that and wants to get there too.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Off to a terrific start, but part of me wonders what Laf looks like without Panarin. Can he carry a line? He shows brilliance, but anybody would benefit from playing with bread man. That’s what I’d expect from a $8MM player — if that’s what we will spend on him. Nothing wrong if he can’t, but then we should revisit that figure. How much, if at all, would his performance suffer if he played with other line mates or, better yet, to what extent would their production benefit from playing with him?

We’re not talking about a 50-60 point player. Regardless of line mates, he looks like a 70 point player, but I wonder if he can get to 90 without the Bread Man and whether he can turn 40 point guys into 55 point guys.

Reactions: gump116 and mike14

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Off to a terrific start, but part of me wonders what Laf looks like without Panarin. Can he carry a line? He shows brilliance, but anybody would benefit from playing with bread man. That’s what I’d expect from a $8MM player — if that’s what we will spend on him. Nothing wrong if he can’t, but then we should revisit that figure. How much, if at all, would his performance suffer if he played with other line mates or, better yet, to what extent would their production benefit from playing with him?

We’re not talking about a 50-60 point player. Regardless of line mates, he looks like a 70 point player, but I wonder if he can get to 90 without the Bread Man and whether he can turn 40 point guys into 55 point guys.
its not a hard leap from 50+ even strength points to an 80 pt season with pp1 time.
I seriously think 8-9m will end up being a bargain contract with him.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
How does Mika have the A on his jersey? He does not scream leader to me. Lafy better get an A. I think he has earned it. Most teams he would have had one in my opinion.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

He can get to 90 with PP1 time. IMO with or without Bread.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I don't think he's Panarin level of "can boost his linemates" but he doesn't totally need to be...as much as we rag on Panarin sometimes he is one of the absolute top offensive players in the league, that's not easy to find even with a 1st overall pick. But I think Laf would be a first line player without Panarin assuming his other linemates are also skilled. I don't think you stick him with plugs and he makes that a first line though...he needs someone with creativity to play off as well.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't think he's Panarin level of "can boost his linemates" but he doesn't totally need to be...as much as we rag on Panarin sometimes he is one of the absolute top offensive players in the league, that's not easy to find even with a 1st overall pick. But I think Laf would be a first line player without Panarin assuming his other linemates are also skilled. I don't think you stick him with plugs and he makes that a first line though...he needs someone with creativity to play off as well.
i think he’ll pleasantly surprise everyone.
He’s very skilled and creates open space for himself now and also for others. He’s also physical, and forces turnovers with really good pressure. The more ice time he gets the better he’s gonna be.
He’s gonna require a player who can adapt to how he’s doing that but those aren’t too hard to find.

start giving him 20+ minutes a night and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was top 10 in scoring.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i think he’ll pleasantly surprise everyone.
He’s very skilled and creates open space for himself now and also for others. He’s also physical, and forces turnovers with really good pressure. The more ice time he gets the better he’s gonna be.
He’s gonna require a player who can adapt to how he’s doing that but those aren’t too hard to find.

start giving him 20+ minutes a night and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was top 10 in scoring.
re: your last sentence, i love the kid but that is some noncents. you're ignoring how good the league is and seeing thru blue colored glasses.

mcD
drai
kuch
mackinnon
hughes
matthews
bread
jtm
pasta
raantanen

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
re: your last sentence, i love the kid but that is some noncents. you're ignoring how good the league is and seeing thru blue colored glasses.

mcD
drai
kuch
mackinnon
hughes
matthews
bread
jtm
pasta
raantanen

You have JTM in there who has become a great player. But he was drafted in the middle of the first round and was a good not great player for years. What can he do that Laf can't? I know he's an outlier but including him weakens this argument. He's only 23, how can you say he'll never be top 10 in scoring?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

mcD
drai
kuch
mackinnon
hughes
matthews
bread
jtm
pasta
raantanen
20 minutes a night puts him on pp1.
He was drafted and the comparisons in talent level (pre-draft) were to
Mackinnon, Matthews
And I see the talent. He’s got an insane backhand (which is always hard for a goalie), he’s got crazy slick hands, he’s got great vision, he’s not afraid to shoot, he’s aggressive in front of the net.
His biggest issue is his lack of top end burst. Which he’s improved every year, and now backs defenders off when entering the zone.
And he’s only gonna get better as he gets faster / older.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
20 minutes a night puts him on pp1.
He was drafted and the comparisons in talent level (pre-draft) were to
Mackinnon, Matthews
And I see the talent. He’s got an insane backhand (which is always hard for a goalie), he’s got crazy slick hands, he’s got great vision, he’s not afraid to shoot, he’s aggressive in front of the net.
His biggest issue is his lack of top end burst. Which he’s improved every year, and now backs defenders off when entering the zone.
And he’s only gonna get better as he gets faster / older.

Saying our former #1 overall who just turned 23 and saw a meteoric rise in play the last two years can never be a top 10 scorer is so preposterous. No one is saying he'll be Sidney Crosby, but top 10 in scoring is being homer? f*** that.

Edit: Obviously this post is agreeing with you.

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
y'all, read what i write instead of what the person in your head you want to argue against.

i specifically didn't say that he would never be a top 10 scorer, that that's outside the realm of possibility for his career. i'm aware of JT's progression, and Laf could absolutely follow a similar arc.

but i stand by this: even if you played him 20 minutes a game - this year - he probably wouldn't be top 10 in scoring.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
y'all, read what i write instead of what the person in your head you want to argue against.

i specifically didn't say that he would never be a top 10 scorer, that that's outside the realm of possibility for his career. i'm aware of JT's progression, and Laf could absolutely follow a similar arc.

but i stand by this: even if you played him 20 minutes a game - this year - he probably wouldn't be top 10 in scoring.

I'm not sure if he was supposed to be top 10 in scoring this year though. I think he meant at some point. I'm also assuming that assumes PP1 time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad