Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
100%. Laff really took the steps we all hoped he would, and the best part is he did it all season. This is just his level of play now. Let's hope there's room for more, but MAN was he good. Very excited for his future here. I couldn't agree more that he should get an A. Start grooming him for a captaincy now.
He's still only 22. He is NOT done improving and developing.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
kids a stud. it's that simple.

that doesn't mean he won't have a bad game or a bad stretch, or that jack hughes won't double his point production.

but what's important is he's a guy who elevated when it matters, a guy you can win with.
Jack might hit 115-120 points if he can somehow manage to stay healthy. But I really see Laf hitting 80-90 points as soon as next year if he gets PP1, which I absolutely think he should at this point. Laf getting 100+ at his peak would surprise me ZERO.
Some of you might crucify me, but I wouldn't trade him for Jack straight up right now. Last off season? Sure. But I see so much more, and not just points, from Laf in the next couple of seasons.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Jack might hit 115-120 points if he can somehow manage to stay healthy. But I really see Laf hitting 80-90 points as soon as next year if he gets PP1, which I absolutely think he should at this point. Laf getting 100+ at his peak would surprise me ZERO.
Some of you might crucify me, but I wouldn't trade him for Jack straight up right now. Last off season? Sure. But I see so much more, and not just points, from Laf in the next couple of seasons.

I wouldn't trade him for Hughes, mainly because I want to cheer for the lovable douchebag, not the actual douchebag. Laf is our boy.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
This is the 2nd time in 2 days where I'm "defending" the Debs here, which doesn't feel right, but goddayumn. Laf for Hughes 1 for 1 would be a steal for us, especially considering our #1C is a #2C.

Reactions: mas0764

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
This is the 2nd time in 2 days where I'm "defending" the Debs here, which doesn't feel right, but goddayumn. Laf for Hughes 1 for 1 would be a steal for us, especially considering our #1C is a #2C.
I said some of you may crucify me (not that you actually did hahaha). And I get your perspective. BUT...

I see Laf as a guy who will be a regular 90point guy, play a physical 200 foot game, and elevate his play in the post season. He also does not miss much time injured.
To ME that is more valuable than a one dimensional, fairly soft, 110 point guy, who can't stay healthy to actually reach 110 points. At this point I'm not confident he has a long career ahead of him.

Don't look at it as me saying Jack isn't an excellent offensive force of a hockey player... look at it as me thinking Laf will be the more valuable/winning player for a longer time.

This past year at EV, since Laf is blocked from real PP time:
Hughes 18G 25A in 62 games 0.68PPG
Laf 26G 25A in 82 games 0.62PPG
And its not like Hughes being hurt 20 games is some outlier.
And that's just looking at offense, the only area where Jack really contributes...
I don't think my take is that hot here...

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I said some of you may crucify me (not that you actually did hahaha). And I get your perspective. BUT...

I see Laf as a guy who will be a regular 90point guy, play a physical 200 foot game, and elevate his play in the post season. He also does not miss much time injured.
To ME that is more valuable than a one dimensional, fairly soft, 110 point guy, who can't stay healthy to actually reach 110 points. At this point I'm not confident he has a long career ahead of him.

Don't look at it as me saying Jack isn't an excellent offensive force of a hockey player... look at it as me thinking Laf will be the more valuable/winning player for a longer time.
I see Laf as higher scoring than that. But I’d agree with everything else.
His offensive comp was huberdeau, who’s had 100pt seasons, and his 5v5 production isn’t crazy out of line with growth down the road.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I see Laf as higher scoring than that. But I’d agree with everything else.
His offensive comp was huberdeau, who’s had 100pt seasons, and his 5v5 production isn’t crazy out of line with growth down the road.
I also think Laf will hit 100 at his prime, but I think calling for 90 regularly is reasonable.
I edited my above post to add this which bolsters what you said:
This past year at EV, since Laf is blocked from real PP time:
Hughes 18G 25A in 62 games 0.68PPG
Laf 26G 25A in 82 games 0.62PPG
And its not like Hughes being hurt 20 games is some outlier.
And that's just looking at offense, the only area where Jack really contributes...
I don't think my take is that hot here...

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
apologies for bringing up the hughes laf comparison. they're different players and both phenomenal. i'm not sure if Laf is the right choice between the two if you were building a team from scratch, cap hits aside etc, but i love him and i think in the real world he's part of the solution for this NYR franchise. a big part.

i also am not the type to conflate "pumping up my own guy and denouncing their guy" with being a more loyal fan...

Reactions: bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
apologies for bringing up the hughes laf comparison. they're different players and both phenomenal. i'm not sure if Laf is the right choice between the two if you were building a team from scratch, cap hits aside etc, but i love him and i think in the real world he's part of the solution for this NYR franchise. a big part.

i also am not the type to conflate "pumping up my own guy and denouncing their guy" with being a more loyal fan...
One thing to note, pre draft laf’s ceiling was considered higher.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kid needs to be on 1st PP plain and simple.
It’s important of offensive guys to sharpen their skills with the extra man.
It’s not only the added point production, but it’s also important for the players confidence and adds new things to their arsenal that that can also help them in 5 v 5 setting.
Any major offensive talent, and make no mistake Laf is that with his filthy wrister/mitts and high end passing
Will tell you the man advantage is key for their overall development.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Look at that even strength offense

download (12).png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad