Value of: Alexis LaFreniere RFA Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Pending RFA, still doesn't get much powerplay time, plays on a productive third line that produces well; at even stength. 21 years old, 198 career games played with 45 goals and 39 assists for 84 points.

What type of contract does he sign this off-season? Is he a potential offer-sheet candidate for rebuilding teams?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Depends how confident they are that he’ll have a breakout and big jump in production..
think Cozens and Boldy type deals but that’s a huge risk

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
18 year old kid who entered the NHL, you don't worry too much about the raw numbers from his rookie year. More about the trend from years 1-2, 2-3. Has he trended positively?
But, clearly, he doesn't warrant, from a risk/reward POV a long term 6 year contract.

He has no arbitration rights and I don't see another team doing a KK deal to pluck him off the NYR (if they sign Kane in the off-season for good money for example).

Bridge contract for 2 years. Maybe, NYR pushes it 3. Anaheim, under Murray always did that with their RFAs in Ryan, Ritchie, Terry. They got that extra bridge year and held firm on that when those kids didn't have arbitration rights.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Pending RFA, still doesn't get much powerplay time, plays on a productive third line that produces well; at even stength. 21 years old, 198 career games played with 45 goals and 39 assists for 84 points.

What type of contract does he sign this off-season? Is he a potential offer-sheet candidate for rebuilding teams?

Merged into the identical thread at the top of Page 1.

EDIT: oh for f***'s sake, I'm dumb. I'll try to unmerge these.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

If I was a rebuilding team I would give the Kotkiemi offersheet.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I would expect something like this.

And yes....primed for an offersheet.

I could see a team, gamble and offer him a long term 6.3 million dollar contract. I'd do that gambling a 1st and 3rd in a heart beat.

id do a 4 yr just under 2nd round comp max…I think around $3.5M or $4M. Rangers match he gets to UFA.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I'd offer sheet 4 years @ $4.2M. Compensation would be a 2nd round pick. It'd put NYR in a tough spot, as they have K'Andre Miller, and Chytil at the same time and then the next year Kakko is due, along with Lindgren, and Schneider.

For some reason, I do feel that Kane will re-sign in NY for a discount though.

Reactions: Voight

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Depends how confident they are that he’ll have a breakout and big jump in production..
think Cozens and Boldy type deals but that’s a huge risk
Not really. The Rangers don't have the cap space to extend him long term.

He'll get 2 x 2.5 or there abouts.

Anyone thinking he'll sign an offer sheet, think again. It won't happen.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I don’t think he’ll get the contract those two did but I’m certain he’s going to ask for it.. all 3 have similar production their first few years so far ..

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'd offer sheet 4 years @ $4.2M. Compensation would be a 2nd round pick. It'd put NYR in a tough spot, as they have K'Andre Miller, and Chytil at the same time and then the next year Kakko is due, along with Lindgren, and Schneider.

For some reason, I do feel that Kane will re-sign in NY for a discount though.
Rs will ask 2-3 yrs at similar but he will counter w/1 yr pls mindful after upcoming season Trouba can be moved and most of his 8m effectively repurposed at that time.
LaF is best served by upping his point totals and further developing [esp his skating] and he is a fit on the kid line, does not have to overthink each situation, which is huge for him now.

So 1yr, 2ish

Kane will not be back.
I'm hoping if we give permission bread will look elsewhere w/Tara + PKane, and we can move most of his 11+m sooner than later.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
If I was a rebuilding team I would give the Kotkiemi offersheet.
100% would take Lafreniere over Kotkaniemi and would be tempted to offer sheet. But more from a team like Toronto or Tampa instead of a rebuilding team. Would be a nice fit in terms of player and not having to give up a high 1st. If the alternative is Jeannot or O'Reilly type deadline deal, gimme Laf. I guess the big and hard to do trick is just making the cap work.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006

Just curious as to why you think he won't sign an offer sheet?

I feel like he is blocked by other forwards to get top production minutes to increase the value of his next contract. Hypothetically, why wouldn't he take a 4 year $4.2M offer from a team like Chicago who can offer him better money, more term, first-line minutes, all the PP time he can handle, and the ability to play with a Bedard/Fantilli, etc. At this point, he won't really get the opportunity to set himself up for a Cozens or Boldy-type contract while on the NYR.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Given his draft pedigree, uneven start to his career and around 0.5 p/gp this year? 2 years, around 4 mil AAV seems about right. Maybe 3.5 mil as a floor as an equivalent to Yakupov's 2nd contract.

I mean, pretty much any team with enough cap space would be willling to give up a 2nd and throw up to a 4.2 mil AAV offer for 1 to 3 years at him. You have any evidence to suggest that Lefreniere wouldn't sign that, especially if you think the Rangers would be offering around half that?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I think Habs should offersheet him. Could definitely make it a very hard decision for the Rangers

I think he gets 2x3 from NYR

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They're going to need to pay him 5M+ or Jarmo is probably going to go after him like a fat kid to cake:

1. Tons of cap space
2. Desperate need of a center.
3. His roster isn't built to rebuild, half the guys are in their prime.
4. Team has some good players, so a future 1st might be late if they bounce back. Even a mid-round pick is unlikely to be as good as Laf.
5. Rangers are in an absolute cap crunch so they have few ways to match. Even if they do, it makes them vulnerable on guys like Miller and Chytil too
6. Jarmo gives zero f***s about etiquette. He will offer sheet a player if he thinks he can get them.

That is my 2 cents.

Some people are saying 4M, would the Rangers match 3 years 6.3M? Edit: 3 years 8.4M is only a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I doubt the Rangers can match that and I doubt Laf would refuse it if he were offered.

Edit #2: Preds could do it too, they're another team who is built for the immediate future and have the cap space. Not sure about their management though. Few GMs are willing to offer sheet and Jarmo is one of the few I know would.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Just curious as to why you think he won't sign an offer sheet?

I mean, pretty much any team with enough cap space would be willling to give up a 2nd and throw up to a 4.2 mil AAV offer for 1 to 3 years at him. You have any evidence to suggest that Lefreniere wouldn't sign that, especially if you think the Rangers would be offering around half that?
In the last 10 years, there have only been 2 offer sheets signed. One was a revenge for the other. They were rare and have only gotten more rare.

Money is going to be tight around the league. Most of the good teams have no cap space, or only have the cap space they need to re-sign their own players.

The Rangers can fit him at 4.2 mil if they have to (Goodrow should be moveable and can be bought out as a worst case scenario). Teams would need to go higher than that to make the Rangers not match.

Other GMs don't want to piss off the Rangers. As we've seen with Kane and others, the Rangers are a popular destination for players. Other GMs want to be on good terms with the Rangers. If a team did offer sheet Laf, you can bet your ass that James Dolan would retaliate.

A lot of people said last year that Kakko would sign an offer sheet. He didn't. The same will be true with Laf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad