Alex Nylander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's a poor skater by NHL standards today, and his hockey IQ just isn't good enough to compensate. Doesn't matter how skilled you are if your feet and decision making can't keep up with the pace. I see him out of the NHL in a season or two.
I personally feel Montreal wrecked him and his confidence with how they handled him. every other game he was switching between Center and wing and they really didn't put much talent with him. He had a knee injury in his draft year and he's always been a bit of a bigger bodied center so kind of a perfect storm for him but the skill alone he should be top six forward in this league somewhere..plenty of players his size and speed have made lengthy careers. His heart and IQ however is another story.

Reactions: Pez68

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He's a poor skater by NHL standards today, and his hockey IQ just isn't good enough to compensate. Doesn't matter how skilled you are if your feet and decision making can't keep up with the pace. I see him out of the NHL in a season or two.
Do you think Strome is better than him? Seems like you can make similar criticisms of Strome.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Weren’t you just recently dragging Teravainen again? The same dude who is a key contributor to a Cup contender.

I like battling and grit just as much as you do, but there’s room in this modern league for guys who flash with their skill more than their body.

That said, I want Nylander to come back and work at least as hard as a Kurashev. If he does, I think he’ll be a big factor.

Bobby's perception of the NHL is stuck about a decade in the past.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Do you think Strome is better than him? Seems like you can make similar criticisms of Strome.

Their hockey IQ isn't even in the same universe. Strome is a poor skater, but his anticipation makes up for it. He thinks the game very well. I think Strome is better than him, even though he's flawed. If Strome could commit to using his size, and battle more, he would be a damn good player. Starting to see that over the last couple weeks but he has to do it consistently.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Bobby's perception of the NHL is stuck about a decade in the past.
Me and Bobby have had a love and hate relationship over the years LOL... him more hating me than anything. but we used to see a lot of eye to eye when it came to physicality and wanting a team that could handle more of the hits that we took as well as being able to Dish them out as well.. but don't feel last three to four years I don't really see that need any more, back then yes, we needed more of a physical team for the playoff grind but the game just continues to evolve and teams with skill can easily survive and thrive in the playoffs which we see every year.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Me and Bobby have had a love and hate relationship over the years LOL... him more hating me than anything. but we used to see a lot of eye to eye when it came to physicality and wanting a team that could handle more of the hits that we took as well as being able to Dish them out as well.. but don't feel last three to four years I don't really see that need any more, back then yes, we needed more of a physical team for the playoff grind but the game just continues to evolve and teams with skill can easily survive and thrive in the playoffs which we see every year.

It all really boils down to desire and willingness to engage. Kampf isn't the biggest or strongest guy in the league, and he doesn't hit very often either. But when he's battling for a loose puck he turns into an animal and just refuses to lose. If you aren't going to be physical, you have to be tenacious. Hawks are building a team that fits that mold.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It all really boils down to desire and willingness to engage. Kampf isn't the biggest or strongest guy in the league, and he doesn't hit very often either. But when he's battling for a loose puck he turns into an animal and just refuses to lose. If you aren't going to be physical, you have to be tenacious. Hawks are building a team that fits that mold.
Also the other thing that Bobby I don't really think understood is the more skill you have the chance is better that you will have the puck more ..which means you're typically going to take more hits than give out..we have been that for a number of years now and I am perfectly fine with it.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I think that’s exactly what Nylander needs to be, tenacious. I feel like it’s not impossible to add a tenacious element to a skilled player’s game.

I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong though.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I think that’s exactly what Nylander needs to be, tenacious. I feel like it’s not impossible to add a tenacious element to a skilled player’s game.

I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong though.

he does need to be tenacious cause he is not super elite skilled...he is not someone that has skill oozing out and can simply get by on that...

he is skilled no doubt but he needs to add that tenacity to his skill to be effective in the NHL. He can't just sit on his laurels and let things happen like he probably did when he was growing up cause he was elite compared to his competition...not the same now...

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
he does need to be tenacious cause he is not super elite skilled...he is not someone that has skill oozing out and can simply get by on that...

he is skilled no doubt but he needs to add that tenacity to his skill to be effective in the NHL. He can't just sit on his laurels and let things happen like he probably did when he was growing up cause he was elite compared to his competition...not the same now...

He’s more skilled than any of the new guys currently making an impact, I’m guessing. So if he adds the tenacity element, then he quickly becomes one of this team’s top young forwards.

No he’s obviously not Kane, almost nobody is, but he can be better than Hagel and Kurashev if he really tries

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
He’s more skilled than any of the new guys currently making an impact, I’m guessing. So if he adds the tenacity element, then he quickly becomes one of this team’s top young forwards.

No he’s obviously not Kane, almost nobody is, but he can be better than Hagel and Kurashev if he really tries
not sure he is more skilled than Kurashev...

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
not sure he is more skilled than Kurashev...

figured you’d say that. Kurashev has certainly shown more battle so far, but I think Nylander has the edge on natural skill. We’ll see though, I could certainly be wrong.

Give Nylander the fight that Kurashev has and I think you have a legit top-six guy.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Agree with RTR, Nylander has more skill than Kurashev. Bigger size, better hands, similar straight-ahead speed though better lateral movements; Nylander has better attributes.

But Kurashev has shown he has a brain and a heart. Nylander, I'm still not sure. I hope both can turn out to be solid players here, I just have less faith in Nylander right now.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
figured you’d say that. Kurashev has certainly shown more battle so far, but I think Nylander has the edge on natural skill. We’ll see though, I could certainly be wrong.

Give Nylander the fight that Kurashev has and I think you have a legit top-six guy.

perhaps but Kurashev is a legit top 6 guy...wait until he gets comfortable, his skill will become more apparent and that is the difference between the two...Nylander thinks his skill will carry him through...Kurashev does not and its the effort that he puts forth that will allow his skill to show more when he becomes comfy

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Agree with RTR, Nylander has more skill than Kurashev. Bigger size, better hands, similar straight-ahead speed though better lateral movements; Nylander has better attributes.

But Kurashev has shown he has a brain and a heart. Nylander, I'm still not sure. I hope both can turn out to be solid players here, I just have less faith in Nylander right now.

think you are selling Kurashev short with his skating ability

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Pius Suter has more skill than Nylander. Not even debatable.

What comes to Hagel, way better what he does compared to Nylander what ever he does.
Same goes to Janmark, who haves the scoring to boot as well., regular basis.

Kurashev already 4 goals and 6 points (11 games) with limited/on and off top 6 role.

When everyone is healthy again, there just is no room for Alexander Nylander from Hawks line up.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Pius Suter has more skill than Nylander. Not even debatable.

What comes to Hagel, way better what he does compared to Nylander what ever he does.
Same goes to Janmark, who haves the scoring to boot as well., regular basis.

Kurashev already 4 goals and 6 points (11 games) with limited/on and off top 6 role.

When everyone is healthy again, there just is no room for Alexander Nylander from Hawks line up.

will see, at this rate its possible that Toews does not return so that is another spot in the top 9 that will open up. I hope Toews returns but the longer he is out the less likely IMO that he ever plays again.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
will see, at this rate its possible that Toews does not return so that is another spot in the top 9 that will open up. I hope Toews returns but the longer he is out the less likely IMO that he ever plays again.

If Toews doesn’t ever return, then it’s even more critical that Nylander actually show a combo of skill and effort.

Also, I don’t think this is a Kurashev vs. Nylander debate. I really really want both of them to be key contributors.

Reactions: hawksrule

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Shortening last few pages.

We should get rid players like Kampf and Carpenter who make effort and keep Nylander who should make effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad