Player Discussion Alex Newhook

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I guess you dont know me well. I take 3 Bennett on my 3rd line for playoffs before 3 Newhook anyday. You win with physical intelligent players in playoffs, not players with only speed like Newhook. Goals are scored around the net in playoffs and players like Bennett who go constantly in dirty areas make you win. No place for finesse

I never said he wasnt a good 3rd line player, if I did my mistake. He would end up being on the 3rd line surrounded with big physical speedy guys like Bennett, no problem there!

So 20 goals scorer is considered a good shot now? I'd much rather have physical players like Barbashev with 20 goals around the net than Newhook on the 3rd line. Gallagher scored 30, does he have a good shot? My point with the picks is you can hit homeruns like Dallas did. Low probability but I like gambles. We wouldve added a vet easily with a late 1st when the time will be proper (Gallagher and andersons contracts terminated)

Yes being able to score 20-25 goals consistently in the NHL and having a plus grade tool for a shot means you have a good shot. Gallagher does not have a good shot, he has an average shot and scored his goals more often around the net and off deflections. You can score goals without having a good shot, Tomas Holmstrom didn't have a good shot.

And yes, a good shot, not an average shot, not a great shot, not an elite shot.

And yes, sometimes you can get lucky like Dallas or sometimes you end up like Dallas and use a top 15 pick on Ty Dellandrea.

The Habs used two of their many picks to get certainty in Newhook. They added a versatile player who added a speed dimension that is sorely missed in our forward group. It was an astute trade. There was no downside to it.

We already have a severely limited number of future top 6 spots and we have two firsts coming in this draft. You can't only draft and draft and draft. At some point you need to build a roster.

Reactions: Andrei79

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
He’s useless right now. Outplayed by most if not all forwards on the team. Can’t win a single battle for the puck.

Even the things he is supposed to do well are not going well for him.

Yeah this guy is flying under the radar. He's just as useless as Dvorak but still getting 2nd line TOI for some reason.

Reactions: MadMslm

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s useless right now. Outplayed by most if not all forwards on the team. Can’t win a single battle for the puck.

Even the things he is supposed to do well are not going well for him.

He was always terrible at puck battles. Almost Drouin bad. But he's good at other things.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Yeah this guy is flying under the radar. He's just as useless as Dvorak but still getting 2nd line TOI for some reason.

At least Dvorak has been winning battles along the boards, looking good on the PK and his line with Heineman/Kapanen looked really good.

If that’s how this season is going, it will be a long one. Not much goals to be scored.

He was always terrible at puck battles. Almost Drouin bad. But he's good at other things.

Yes, and that was my main dislike about his acquisition. He’s got speed, a good shot and was always good at set plays, but none of those things are working for him.

And even if it was, would it be enough to completely overlook his inability to win a battle or a 50/50 puck ?

He’s better than a lot of forwards on this team yet all of them have shown better drive and performance than him in this early season.

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
Never liked him in the BCHL, never liked him on the Avs and I still don't like him. Stop answering the phone when Sakic calls, KENT

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At least Dvorak has been winning battles along the boards, looking good on the PK and his line with Heineman/Kapanen looked really good.

If that’s how this season is going, it will be a long one. Not much goals to be scored.

Yes, and that was my main dislike about his acquisition. He’s got speed, a good shot and was always good at set plays, but none of those things are working for him.

And even if it was, would it be enough to completely overlook his inability to win a battle or a 50/50 puck ?

He’s better than a lot of forwards on this team yet all of them have shown better drive and performance than him in this early season.

Gorton and Hughes right now are looking for the right pieces to add and Gorton says they're being very careful how they select them.

It seems the future top six is set without Newhook:

Caufield Suzuki - Skaf
Laine - Dach - Demidov

Because if Laine or Dach don't pan out, we'll look elsewhere than Newhook to fill their spot.

Then you have Newhook, Hage, Kapanen, Beck, Roy, and Heineman all fighting for a 3rd line spot.

The 4th line shouldn't be difficult to construct out of those players that don't make the 3rd line and external rugged players.

So yeah Newhook isn't a core piece. My hope for him is he'll be an upgrade on Byron for the bottom 6.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Gorton and Hughes right now are looking for the right pieces to add and Gorton says they're being very careful how they select them.

It seems the future top six is set without Newhook:

Caufield Suzuki - Skaf
Laine - Dach - Demidov

Because if Laine or Dach don't pan out, we'll look elsewhere than Newhook to fill their spot.

Then you have Newhook, Hage, Kapanen, Beck, Roy, and Heineman all fighting for a 3rd line spot.

The 4th line shouldn't be difficult to construct out of those players that don't make the 3rd line and external rugged players.

So yeah Newhook isn't a core piece. My hope for him is he'll be an upgrade on Byron for the bottom 6.
I think it is becoming very clear Newhook is not a top 6 player. I liked him as a 3rd line center last year and i think it's where he should play. As a center he doesn't have to win board battles as much. His only goal this season was scored from the center ice a position a center would be.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think it is becoming very clear Newhook is not a top 6 player. I liked him as a 3rd line center last year and i think it's where he should play. As a center he doesn't have to win board battles as much. His only goal this season was scored from the center ice a position a center would be.
I had him penciled in with either Armia and Roy or Armia and Gallagher to start the season on the third line. I never thought he'd be good with Laine and Dach. I thought they woud need someone who's better along the wall, since we hear Laine isn't good there either. Dach could handle himself well on the boards last year. Hopefully he can get back to that.

Maybe our best lineup now is:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Dach - Kapanen - Dvo/Heineman
Gallagher - Newhook - Armia
Heineman/Dvo - Evans - Anderson

Hopefully when Laine comes back, we can move one of Dvo or Armia. Though there will probably be injuries then. I definitely think Dvo should be on the wing.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He played well off Kapanen. Armia kills the line.
Armia doesn't help for sure he is totally invisible i don't remember hearing his name once since the season started. Dach is not playing well but i notice him. I wont be surprised if Armia doesn't get a contract offer in the NHL next summer. Maybe a PTO. He looks like a AHL player atm that's for sure.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

In the same way it was clear to many that Lekhonen was not a top 6 player...

Semantics aside, the only thing "clear" at this stage, is that 23 year old Newhook isn't able to carry a top 6 line.

Throw him on any of the top tier rosters, playing wingman to an elite line driver, and I suspect, like Lekhonen, we'd quickly see a very solid top 6 player.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
In the same way it was clear to many that Lekhonen was not a top 6 player...

Semantics aside, the only thing "clear" at this stage, is that 23 year old Newhook isn't able to carry a top 6 line.

Throw him on any of the top tier rosters, playing wingman to an elite line driver, and I suspect, like Lekhonen, we'd quickly see a very solid top 6 player.
The habs had way too many supporting cast members exiting the Bergevin tenure. Bergevin let too many guys who could drive the play leave and failed to acquire more. Lots of guys, Roy, for example, would be great with someone to drive the play, but who’s going to do that after the first line? Dach? Demidov? Probably no current bottom line forward other than Dach.

Hughes and Gorton handled the rebuild well, but the next step is to wait for some of the guys they acquired to take a major step up. Hutson may work out, but most prospects have demonstrated lower ceilings by now. Have to hope Slaf, Hage, Demidov, and other younger guys push it.

I think they need Armia to pick up. They have so few guys who can contest possession. They really need a few grinders. Needing grinders isn’t a major problem, though, grinders can be acquired cheap, play drivers have value.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I dont think Newhook is gonna ever be more than a 3rd liner and thats fine and he is currently miscast as a second liner but it doesnt excuse his lack of engagement in the play

He should be an elite PKer, use his speed on the forecheck and create turnovers. For too often he is just waiting for things to happen

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I dont think Newhook is gonna ever be more than a 3rd liner and thats fine and he is currently miscast as a second liner but it doesnt excuse his lack of engagement in the play

He should be an elite PKer, use his speed on the forecheck and create turnovers. For too often he is just waiting for things to happen
💯 % agree. Nothing wrong with Newhook being a solid 3rd liner.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Complete non factor and with his speed how did he manage to only have 6 shots in 7 games?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
MISSING SINCE LAST SEASON:
HAVE YOU SEEN THIS EYEBROW PLAYER???

Screenshot 2024-10-23 at 11.11.35 AM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad