Value of: Alex Galchenyuk as a free agent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If I were a GM in need of an equipment assistant manager, I would sign him to a 1 year "show me" deal at league minimum.

Show me you can clean jock straps with the best of them and I will sign you long term.

Reactions: HabsQC

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Reunite with Yakupov in the KHL? Posters are aware that Galchenyuk was born in Milwaukee and has played for five other NHL teams since getting drafted and playing for Montreal for six seasons. As far as I know he's never had anything to do with Yakupov or the KHL.
They played in the OHL together with Sarnia. Both were playing there when drafted into the NHL at #1 and #3 overall in the same draft.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Yes reunite. They played together on Sarnia and both got drafted off that team top 3 in the entry draft and Reid Boucher was also on that Sarnia Sting era team and is also playing for Omsk. Was pretty easy to follow I would have thought but no worries. Boucher name isn’t Boucherov although maybe it should be.

Also his dad lives in Belarus and Alex has spent time there during the course of his life. He was born in Milwaukee because that’s where his dad happened to be playing hockey at the time.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
After his (oft-mentioned) gaffe in OT, I wanted him benched for the remainder of the series and not re-signed. Now that time has sort of healed some of those wounds, I think he would be a decent addition to the Leafs if he came back for league minimum.

But at the same time if the Leafs refuse to sign him to show their prospect pipeline what accountability looks like, then I think that would be a good move as well.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Damn. Whatever happened to the hype train coming out of Toronto? Weren't they going to rebuild him?

I'm still hoping we find a way to bring him back. He had that one major brain fart in the playoffs, overall I absolutely loved his game. Amazing compete, this kid gave his best effort every single shift. Was hands down the hardest worker not named Hyman. He definitely deserves to be on a roster.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Will take him in Edmonton with open and welcoming arms. Dude can skate, shoot, dangle, lots of skill there. Just needs to come in cheaper on a show me deal. No doubt he’d put up career points playing with one of McDavid or Drai and prime himself for a bigger payday next year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
He was solid in Toronto. Didn't come as advertised at all. High work ethic, showed flashes of his top 3 pick talent, contributed offensively.

I was hoping they would bring him back, but that doesn't appear to be likely. I think a team with an obvious top 6 hole should look to give him a shot.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The name of the article literally says hope to, not that they did.

And as much as you all want to think, an article on the internet doesn't necessarily mean that the majority of Leafs fans think that way, lol.
I didn't read it as the entire fanbase. I read that as a shot at a few dumb hf posters at most who talked delusional shit. Or in this case, I guess some delusional articles

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's got some puck skills, and size. Prone to gaffes, and coaches won't trust him in critical situations. Has top 6 skills, but no grit or defensive awareness that you like to see in your bottom six players.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's got some puck skills, and size. Prone to gaffes, and coaches won't trust him in critical situations. Has top 6 skills, but no grit or defensive awareness that you like to see in your bottom six players.
The lack of defensive awareness and gaffes at the exact wrong moments are the real downside to Galchenyuk. He looks fine offensively though, so I'm sure a team could get him cheap and keep him far away from the oppositions top 6. I wouldn't mind having him back in a limited role.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He’s probably had enough offers that he is willing to wait it out to see if anybody goes big on him. I’m sure more than anything he would like term. I wonder if anyone will give him anything beyond a one year contract.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Montreal should give him a call. Absolute Thread the needle type of beautiful passing on display from him in Game 5 OT. Was such a good pass that it gave a team a 2-0.:thumbu:

You don’t coach that type of talent. It’s just there:nod::sarcasm:
Threw up a little in my mouth after reading the first sentence, glad to know you weren't being serious about Montreal giving him a contract. I thought Galchenyuk was going to be a special player, but he was never the same after his December 2016 knee injury.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
He’s probably had enough offers that he is willing to wait it out to see if anybody goes big on him. I’m sure more than anything he would like term. I wonder if anyone will give him anything beyond a one year contract.
I think a team will offer Galchenyuk more than one year, I just don't think that team will be in the NHL.

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
I would bring him back with the HABS for 1M/ 1 Year

still remember that great pass to Caufield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad