Value of: alex debrincat

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
according to garrioch at tsn there is no inclination that debrincat wants to sign long term in ottawa.

whats his value now?

2022-23 stats: 82gp, 27g, 39a 66pts, -31.

he was recently moved in july for 7th overall 22', 39th overall 22', 3rd round pick 24'

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Unsigned RFA but arbitration eligible. Hmm probably a late 1st or early 2nd. Could be a 1 year rental for a team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unsigned RFA but arbitration eligible. Hmm probably a late 1st or early 2nd. Could be a 1 year rental for a team.
Sens won't get back what they gave up in a 1, 2, and 3 round pick. Should get a first in return and something else. But, that first is going to be in the 20's or something vs. 7OA that they gave up.

This team had Stutzle upcoming for a new deal last off-season and gave him $8.3 in the summer. That, along with the Norris deal gives them 4 $8 mill plus players in 23-24. Plus Batherson at $5 mill. So, they had $37 mill for 5 guys without DCat and still had holes.

Questionable planning and construction by the team.

Detroit has extra picks. NYI first, STL and Van 2nds this draft. Boston's 2024 first.

So, have options to get some help to improve the roster.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sens won't get back what they gave up in a 1, 2, and 3 round pick. Should get a first in return and something else. But, that first is going to be in the 20's or something vs. 7OA that they gave up.

This team had Stutzle upcoming for a new deal last off-season and gave him $8.3 in the summer. That, along with the Norris deal gives them 4 $8 mill plus players in 23-24. Plus Batherson at $5 mill. So, they had $37 mill for 5 guys without DCat and still had holes.

Questionable planning and construction by the team.

Detroit has extra picks. NYI first, STL and Van 2nds this draft. Boston's 2024 first.

So, have options to get some help to improve the roster.
7th overall absolutely should have been in play for a young player with term.

Moving it for a player with a season remaining was moronic.

DBC, strictly as a talent, was absolutely worth the price the Sens played

DBC, as an unsigned player, who in all likelihood would be inclined to test his UFA market and his 9m QO, was not worth remotely close to what was received for a team like Ottawa in the position they were in and makeup of their team.

Sens are going to want players that can play now, not futures. Teams looking at DBC are going to be teams looking to add, not subtract from their roster. That’s what is going to be extremely awkward for the Sens if they look to move him, which they absolutely should be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
7th overall absolutely should have been in play for a young player with term.

Moving it for a player with a season remaining was moronic.

DBC, strictly as a talent, was absolutely worth the price the Sens played

DBC, as an unsigned player, who in all likelihood would be inclined to test his UFA market and his 9m QO, was not worth remotely close to what was received for a team like Ottawa in the position they were in and makeup of their team.

Sens are going to want players that can play now, not futures. That’s what is going to be extremely awkward for the Sens if they look to move him, which they absolutely should be.
Sens window based on their core contracts is right now.

Chabot has 5 years left and will be 31 when his deal expires
Tkachuck has 6 years left and will be 29 going on 30 when his deal expires
Norris has 7 years left and will be 31 when his deal expires
Stutzle has 8 years left and will be 29 when his deal expires
Batherson has 4 years left and will be 29 when his deal expires.
Chrychrun has 2 years left and will be 28 when his deal expires

Sens didn't give DCat a new deal upon acquiring him. Even without the term, I don't think the need for a scoring winner should have been ahead of fixing other areas of the roster first, espeically at the price DCat would expect as he sells his UFA years.

But, the Sens aren't in the position to take back a lot of contract either. Unless they get a goalie in return. Better to get the futures and try to flip those futures for a goalie.

Pay close attention to Winnipeg with Helly due up for UFA in 2024. Not sure what the Jets do with their 3 2024 ufas in PLD, Scheiffle, Helly and whether any want to remain in Winnipeg. But, if they get him, have to get him signed as he walks through the door.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Reactions: BurgoShark

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit isn't paying that for a forward who's QO is 9m with 1 year to UFA. Cat's numbers weren't great this year and there's no indication that they would be any better in Detroit. Bad asset management.

If they pick him up before July 1st, they can sign him for a lower amount than that, correct? The only bad asset management is on Ottawa's side for letting him leave as a UFA if the QO is not met.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If they pick him up before July 1st, they can sign him for a lower amount than that, correct? The only bad asset management is on Ottawa's side for letting him leave as a UFA if the QO is not met.
No.

You have to give him the QO, otherwise you lose his rights if he doesn't sign.

Once he gets his QO of 9 mill for 1 year he isn't going to sign for less, unless he actually wants to be there.

Reactions: DaveG and Mister Ed

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Team can also elect for arbitration which can reward him as low as 7.65M but that also applies some trade restrictions that I cant remember.

The best bet is to either sign him longer term or trade him at the draft to a place he will sign.

His value at the draft will be the same as Fiala last year more or less a first around 19th and a prospect like Brock Faber who I know nothing about.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Calculated Risk.
Apparently told GMPD he will make up his mind about whether he wants to commit long term before the draft, which is respectable on his part.

I assume this has been a bit of a whirlwind for him.

Played his junior hockey in the states, and his NHL career in Chicago where he wanted to stay. Making an 8 year commitment in a different country is going to take time.

Big part to consider is that 8th year option.
Could leave a decent amount of $ on the table if he goes to free agency and can only sign for 7 years, so there is some motivation to sign long term in Ottawa or help facilitate a better return by working out an extension elsewhere if he is to be traded.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
He proved he just wasn't as good without Patrick Kane. Unfortunately, Ottawa got fleeced in the deal last year and will not be able to get that type of value back for him. Big loss and terrible asset management.
I'd hardly call it being fleeced and/or bad asset management. At the time the general consensus was that Ottawa had pulled off highway robbery, and while DeBrincat hasn't lived up to the 40 goal scorer we'd hoped, he's still been very solid. At worst it was a calculated gamble with odds in our favour.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd hardly call it being fleeced and/or bad asset management. At the time the general consensus was that Ottawa had pulled off highway robbery, and while DeBrincat hasn't lived up to the 40 goal scorer we'd hoped, he's still been very solid. At worst it was a calculated gamble with odds in our favour.
For what the Sens gave up, it was good value. For the fit on the team as well as their salary cap situation, it was puzzling. Brady, Chabot, Norris, and Stutzle now at $8 mill plus per. Add in Batherson and the Sens will have over $37 mill committed to 5 players in 23-24. Not sure how they expected to add a 5th $8 mill plus player to that mix and end up at $45 mill plus committed to 6 skaters while needing help on D and G?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
From geniuses on HFBoards that don't really understand that it was a player that heading close to very expensive UFA years... perhaps.

In reality though, I'm happy with the value. Would have liked a bit more, but all facts and circumstances taken into account, it's not as simple as "24 year old 40 goal scorer!!" as people were making it out... as though there is still a reserve clause in place and player contracts were still dirt cheap in an uncapped League. A player approaching UFA has to be approached with caution as to what sort of long-term commitment he is willing to make and at what cap hit that will come with.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Future red wing, Michigan boy comin home
I think this is likely, but I think it could end up being a (A) one-bidder situation or (B) a rental situation if Detroit doesn't want to give up assets. Detroit would likely be the favorite to sign him as a UFA as it makes a lot of sense based on team need, and how it fits in from a timeline/cap standpoint... and he's a hometown kid so he'd likely be happy with the opportunity (and I don't think a "better" team would be as able/willing to commit to him as their cores are more set).

Risk of course is if he plays another season somewhere else, he could fall in love with it and that team could fall in love with the fit and sign him long-term (that would include working out a 1-year deal with Ottawa followed by a big season for DeBrincat + The Senators), and Detroit would miss their window to get a player like that.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Is he worth the $9m qualifying offer to the Sens? If so I'd just keep him if the potential return is short of a decent 1st rnd pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think this is likely, but I think it could end up being a (A) one-bidder situation or (B) a rental situation if Detroit doesn't want to give up assets. Detroit would likely be the favorite to sign him as a UFA as it makes a lot of sense based on team need, and how it fits in from a timeline/cap standpoint... and he's a hometown kid so he'd likely be happy with the opportunity (and I don't think a "better" team would be as able/willing to commit to him as their cores are more set).

Risk of course is if he plays another season somewhere else, he could fall in love with it and that team could fall in love with the fit and sign him long-term (that would include working out a 1-year deal with Ottawa followed by a big season for DeBrincat + The Senators), and Detroit would miss their window to get a player like that.

Yzerman is smart with managing his assets but if they are interested in bringing DeBrincat home it would be silly for them to cross their fingers and hope he makes it to free agency after next year.

This is a team that has missed the playoffs 7 years in a row. During that span of time they have picked in the 1st/2nd round a total of 20 times, and have another 5 picks in the top 2 rounds this year. They could easily afford to trade the NYI 1st they got in return for Hronek without it harming their future.

At some point you need to make a move to try to win some games and make the playoffs. They could use DeBrincat for next season, especially after losing Bertuzzi, and they have 30M in cap space to burn this summer.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Team can also elect for arbitration which can reward him as low as 7.65M but that also applies some trade restrictions that I cant remember.

The best bet is to either sign him longer term or trade him at the draft to a place he will sign.

His value at the draft will be the same as Fiala last year more or less a first around 19th and a prospect like Brock Faber who I know nothing about.
i think the trade restrictions are only with matching offer sheets. i think trading during or after arbitration is allowed.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Patrick Kane is supposed to be showing signs of regression at this point.
Yeah? It's pretty serious when you go from 92 to 57 at 34 years old. Maybe I'm just spoiled seeing Giroux, but Kane looks like shit now. Coincidence? Maybe.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
To Anaheim
Islanders first 2023
Detroit 2nd 2023
Ottawa 4th 2024
Anton Forsberg

To Detroit
Alex Debrincat 7.5M (Anaheim retains 1.5M on QO.)

To Ottawa
John Gibson

Yeah? It's pretty serious when you go from 92 to 57 at 34 years old. Maybe I'm just spoiled seeing Giroux, but Kane looks like shit now. Coincidence? Maybe.
He needs a surgery. Been playing hurt all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad