Value of: After the 1st two days of major UFA signings. What are your team grades?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I’d give the Leafs an A-

After a rough first day losing everyone (ROR, Acciari, Schenn), Tre redeemed himself. Bertuzzi, Domi, Klingberg all on fair 1 year deals is massive.

Still need some revamping of the D and a Murray solution, but we’re getting there.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ducks B+

The contracts are a bit too expensive to give them an A, but the players are exactly what the team needed. You can't just accept being as easy to play against or downright terrible defensively as they were this past season. Killorn brings so much dependability in all situations, and could honestly be the team's new captain. Gudas is everything the D group did not have previously. Pretty ideal veteran players to help this young team grow back to a level of respectability and then hopefully beyond.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sabres:

B-

I like that Adams went out and got 2 RHDs that are better than what we had last year (Jokiharju, Lyubushkin). Clifton does require a bit of projection as Power's partner, but EJ should be rock solid.
Stillman as 3rd pair LHD is still questionable. Still need one more defensively-minded forward, IMO. And then there's still that nagging goalie thing..........we running with UPL/Comrie/Levi?

Feels like there's still a move or two that needs to be done, but I've liked what he's done so far.
Improving the D improves the goaltending.

Reactions: Zman5778

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Flyers - C. I really wanted them to sign no one and just play their own scrubs from the minors and prospects. The team needs to be bad, and signing any NHL caliber player - even 4th line caliber - seems counterproductive.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Improving the D improves the goaltending.

If you spend any time in the Sabres forum at all, you know I'm at the forefront of this.

It doesn't mean I think we're set at goaltending......I think that the trio of Levi/UPL/Comrie is much better than some there would have someone believe........but the jury is still WAY out if anyone there can lead us to the playoffs.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Flyers A+
We signed a lot of turds, that should help the draft positioning for the next couple years.

Flyers - C. I really wanted them to sign no one and just play their own scrubs from the minors and prospects. The team needs to be bad, and signing any NHL caliber player - even 4th line caliber - seems counterproductive.
Nah, let Torts shit on some vets and not ruin our rookies/young players. Get some good draft position, fire Torts, get a better coach and then start the young dudes.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Sabres D.
Clifton is a good addition to the bottom pair but not a 4d. Wasting spots on EJ, Jost did not not improve the team on the Ice and I give nothing for improving the room. No goaltending move or forward moves that make the team better. Rolling the same back another year when there are obvious holes to address. The pool of players is dwindling in ufa so maybe a trade is in the works. Not optimistic on that front based on KA’s penchant for hoarding prospects.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Colorado Avalanche Grade B +
They fix their Depth in offence with Wood Colton
They have a project with Drouin at very low cost
The only thing they have not fix C
Mackinnon, Johansen and maybe Foudy on 4th
They need to address it but they got time.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd give the Avs a C.

-Off the top, I'm happy we're utilizing Landy's LTIR. No reason we shouldn't, but after holding his spot last year and basically playing with a $75m roster while chasing a cup, it's nice that we'll likely see an $83m roster on opening night.

-Giving a guy like Miles Wood 6 years is odd, especially when ERod ended up going for about the same amount of money for half the term. At $2.5m AAV, I guess it's unlikely to actually matter.

-I like the no-risk Drouin signing. I'm not expecting a miracle there, but he does have a much better shot at being a passable top six winger than someone like LOC does for the same amount of money.

-Byram under $4m AAV is fine. don't love the term, but it is what it is. We'll cross that bridge again in two years.

-Cogs at <$1m is nice.

On paper, we're a better team than we started with last year. Still have some assets to improve at the TDL as well.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
For the Avs I don't know what's the meh rating probably C?

Wood : They gave him way too much term IMO but that contract won't kill us. We keep hearing how he gets alot penalties in the offensive zone. We were told the same with NAK. I hope Bednar finds a way to kinda fix this.

Drouin : At 825K that could become a great reclamation project or could just be a Malgin for us that can score few in the bottom 6 then disappear. He could be our new Nuke minus the defense :sarcasm:

Jack Johnson : Great bringing him back as 6/7D. As much as we like EJ, we're mostly more happy bringing him back at 775K instead of what EJ is making with Buffalo.

Most of our impact moves were on the Johansen and Colton trades which fix two glaring holes we had which is a #2C and #3C. Can Johansen be healthy and produce? That's the question.

Here's our lineup in our last playoff game according to our GTD (can't remember exactly) :
Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Malgin - Compher - Rodrigues
Nieto - Eller - O'Connor
Meyers - Newhook - Hunt (dman)

Here's probably our lineup post FA and draft :
Drouin - Mackinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Johansen - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - O'Connor
Olofsson - Meyers - Cogliano
For me The Wood contract is a very good move. Yes he got 6 years but just looking what will earn a 15 goal scorer per season in 5 year !
For me Colton is not a Center more effective in forecheck as a winger.
But they fix their Depth
Drouin a very low gamble. This guy can pass the puck where he wants. Probably a 55 pts in 82 gm.
For me Colorado Need a 3C this is the only thing it miss. At the deadline if Drouin doesn't produce they can find another top 6 players

Reactions: Spilot23

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You guys got a good one in Clifton. I wish he signed with another club/conference. Now have to face him 4 times a season.

Steve Yzerman gets a D?

Somehow I doubt it.

You guys got a good one in Clifton. I wish he signed with another club/conference. Now have to face him 4 times a season.

Was one of the few players I was hoping Devils pursued. Seems there is an aversion to signing anyone from New Jersey (except Marty's son).

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Dallas A+

Swapping out Miller for Hanley/craig Smith/$75k/5th pick

Duchene and Dadanov (and Smith -above)

Running it back with an improved 4th line and Duchene > Domi. If Otter, Lindell, and Miro have another awful playoff then no SC. If they perform, cup champions

(Go check natural stat trick - Miro and Lindell were the bottom 5v5 and Otter sub .900; 87.8% final 2 series)

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
What can you say about the Isles:
Sorokin - A+
Mayfield - C+
Varlamov - D
Engvall - B

Guess that puts them in B range? One of them was an extension so maybe doesn't count for the purpose of this thread?
Your Varlomov grade is off. Lou got the best back up on the market, and kept our other goalie, which makes EVERYONE happy.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I was furious for an hour or two after Bertuzzi went to Toronto on a one-year deal, but as more info came out about the process with his agent botching things and circling back after Sweeney had already used the cap space elsewhere, the picture became clearer and I calmed down.

I'd give the Bruins a solid B. Given the constraints they found themselves in after going all-in at the deadline, they actually got some decent value plays with JvR on the cheap and solidifying the bottom 6 C with Geekie. Lucic is half a PR move but for only $1m he can contribute as a 4th liner with no expectations and brings leadership. Shattenkirk is just a low-risk lottery ticket guy, if he sucks they can waive him, if he's decent, cool. Brown and the rest of the two-way signings are just cheap depth.

they're still at the mercy of Bergeron's decision to retire or come back, and everyone knows they won't be anything close to what they were last year, but judging Sweeney solely for what he did the first two days of free agency from the position he was in 3 days ago, I'd say it was decently well managed.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Devils C

In fairness, didn't see much on the market worth pursuing so the grade isn't too harsh. But additions seem more likely headed to Utica than Newark.

While the organization is breaking its proverbial arm patting itself on the back for the Bratt and Meier signings as well as the Toffoli trade, can't help thinking failing to keep guys like Graves, Severson (a trade) and Tatar is going to cost them.

Barring further moves, the gap between New Jersey and some of the top teams, particularly Carolina, is bigger today.
Huh? We have replacements for those two defenders who signed 6 and 8 yr deals! Agree that the D will. Be greener this year but it's not a total unknown of what is coming here, probably no layer than mid-season. Yes a filler was needed and Miller should be fine, I wanted Tanev. Tatar I'm 50/50 on bringing back. Fitz did fine.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Huh? We have replacements for those two defenders who signed 6 and 8 yr deals! Agree that the D will. Be greener this year but it's not a total unknown of what is coming here, probably no layer than mid-season. Yes a filler was needed and Miller should be fine, I wanted Tanev. Tatar I'm 50/50 on bringing back. Fitz did fine.
Which is average or a C grade.

Compared to what other teams have done - like Buffalo, Toronto, the aforementioned Hurricanes and some of the western teams like Los Angeles and Colorado, the Devils have basically maintained the status quo.

They seem content to ride the goodwill of this past season.

Tiredswede

Dec 6, 2016

Compared to what other teams have done - like Buffalo, Toronto, the aforementioned Hurricanes and some of the western teams like Los Angeles and Colorado, the Devils have basically maintained the status quo.

The growth of some teams come from within. The core is very young and 4 key positions will be filled with new people, hardly status quo

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

They were third overall all yr! 2 more pts and 2nd overall. They have 2 each defenders who will make them stupidly better in 1 yrs time. I get it but what would you add? Hanafin, Bert? Added Toffoli and have arguably one of the best top 6 in the league. I would have liked Sprong/Hathaway/Tanev (not a FA), so I'll give you that. Look at the moves They didnt do as well: Wood! Jarry, Korpisalo, Killorn all of Isles moves minus Sorokin. Now those players are fine gets but the $/term are not imo. I'm a bit surprised but can live with it. I think Fitz has anything or two planned tbh. Sure C but the grade is worse than the moves or refusal to make bad ones!

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sabres did fine. They didnt get into any wild contracts and upgraded their biggest weakeness (D depth, esp on RD). They get + from me for not trading prime assets for a goalie.

B seems fair

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'd give Detroit a solid C+

Ghost
Sprong
Are both A level moves who will be flipped at the TDL for decent picks (2nd or 3rds)

Holl
Is a D level move as I dont like the player whatsoever

Compher
Is a C+ level move in the grand scheme of things. He is a decent, versatile player who is still young enough and can skate, shots right with winning experience, but, I think his numbers were inflated playing in Colorado and wont be reproduced anytime soon in Detroit. That's the downside of FA unfortunately.

The goalies are irrelevant..

Overall a solid C+ mixed bag

I'd have preferred we traded for a top 6 forward and top 4 dman but alas it wasnt to be.

Hopefully we're competitive enough through the season but in the end are clearly on the outside looking in, selling off Peron, Kubalik, Ghost and Sprong and finally earn some lottery luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad