Value of: After the 1st two days of major UFA signings. What are your team grades?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Wings - C, same as the draft. Safe if uninspiring signings much like the draft.

Offense wasn't addressed in either case. As one of the lowest scoring teams in the league that's a bit troubling. We shall see. Patience is the name of the game, I guess.
I don’t understand the moves for the Wings, but adding Konecny makes it a much better grade overall, assuming a fair return. I’m hopefully something is done there.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Following four teams

Lightning. F-

Predators. Incomplete thought the were going to rebuild young then boom.

Colorado making moves but will it result in a better I’m not sure yet. G

Buffalo B need to make a couple moves for veterans to bring the young guys along and the goaltending.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Bolts: B-

Great job by JBB to get rid of the 4th line, that was slow, old and was not able to be of positive impact while on the ice.
Archibald - Glendening - Eyssimont (not a FA signing) bring a faster pace and a better forecheck, as well as Glendening goated status in the faceoff circle.

I see Sheary as a gamble, personally not too fond of him as he isn't a playoff performer. Obviously they see in him some playoff potential if put in the right conditions. But 2M for 3 years for a 40 points player is a great, cheap deal for our 3rd line. If we can have him produce at the rate he did with the Caps 2 seasons ago (50 points pace) and can do somethingcome playoff time, he'll be a great pickup with an awesome contract.

De Haan: very good pickup, very happy about this signing. Fills a need on 3LD for cheap, De Haan is exactly the defensive Dman we needed on the 3rd pair.

Backup: big gamble, but I don't mind it.

What will be impactful for the FA grading of the Bolts FA, is who are they gonna bring in to fill Killorn spot. Still in need of a second line winger, let's see what JBB does.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Devils C

In fairness, didn't see much on the market worth pursuing so the grade isn't too harsh. But additions seem more likely headed to Utica than Newark.

While the organization is breaking its proverbial arm patting itself on the back for the Bratt and Meier signings as well as the Toffoli trade, can't help thinking failing to keep guys like Graves, Severson (a trade) and Tatar is going to cost them.

Barring further moves, the gap between New Jersey and some of the top teams, particularly Carolina, is bigger today.

• Haha
Reactions: Classic Devil

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Devils C

In fairness, didn't see much on the market worth pursuing so the grade isn't too harsh. But additions seem more likely headed to Utica than Newark.

While the organization is breaking its proverbial arm patting itself on the back for the Bratt and Meier signings as well as the Toffoli trade, can't help thinking failing to keep guys like Graves, Severson (a trade) and Tatar is going to cost them.

Barring further moves, the gap between New Jersey and some of the top teams, particularly Carolina, is bigger today.

Pretty harsh. Toffoli is better than Tatar and re-signing Graves would block Hughes' path to the top 4. I'll give you Severson, but the writing was on the wall the moment they traded for Marino and drafted Nemec.

Miller looks to be solid depth for the third pair and gives Nemec someone to beat out for a roster spot.

Given some of the terrible contracts handed out (Graves' in particular), I think you're being a little mellow dramatic with that final sentence.

I'd give Fitz a B+.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
8 million over cap and everyone knows it. Need to wait to see how they get out of that and what returns they get.

How they get out of that is likely very simple.

Step 1 Muzzin on LTIR.

Step 2 Murray on LTIR/traded, it's Matt Murray he tends to get injured so I am leaning towards LTIR.

Step 3 trade/waive Timmins and/or Lafferty

Leafs will be fine

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Bolts: B-

Great job by JBB to get rid of the 4th line, that was slow, old and was not able to be of positive impact while on the ice.
Archibald - Glendening - Eyssimont (not a FA signing) bring a faster pace and a better forecheck, as well as Glendening goated status in the faceoff circle.

I see Sheary as a gamble, personally not too fond of him as he isn't a playoff performer. Obviously they see in him some playoff potential if put in the right conditions. But 2M for 3 years for a 40 points player is a great, cheap deal for our 3rd line. If we can have him produce at the rate he did with the Caps 2 seasons ago (50 points pace) and can do somethingcome playoff time, he'll be a great pickup with an awesome contract.

De Haan: very good pickup, very happy about this signing. Fills a need on 3LD for cheap, De Haan is exactly the defensive Dman we needed on the 3rd pair.

Backup: big gamble, but I don't mind it.

What will be impactful for the FA grading of the Bolts FA, is who are they gonna bring in to fill Killorn spot. Still in need of a second line winger, let's see what JBB does.
As long as Sheary is used in a complementary winger role he will do just fine for you. What he can't do is drive play or bring any big individual effort. Though his career postseason stats won't show it, he did actually chip in some key goals for the Cup runs in '16/'17. I think the Bolts are a good fit for him, and I say this as somebody who doesn't like the guy.

Reactions: Zwui21

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t think things are done. I think trades are going to come once Dumba, Tarasenko, and 1-2 others sign.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I give the wings a D+. The Holl, Compher contracts I don't like at all. Saved from a failing grade by the Sprong singing. Just don't understand the direction we are going at this point

Reactions: SENStastic

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How could the Leafs get anything but an A? Now I will grant you that losing ROR sucks, it does you will not see me turn on him now that he's not a Leaf, I was fully on board with his addition since December he's the guy I wanted above anyone else, although Meier was very close.

But ROR was the guy I wanted above anyone else, we got him, he was great, he's arguably the #1 reason they beat Tampa, losing him sucks.

That being said you can't look at this roster and say it's worse

They replaced Bunting with Bertuzzi nobody will tell you that's not an upgrade, even if they did score the same amount points, and they probably won't, Bertuzzi doesn't have a target on his back from the refs.

They replaced Kerfoot with Domi that's a major upgrade, Alex Kerfoot was a nothing burger, Domi is a top 6 forward.

They replaced Justin Holl with John Klingberg, that's a major upgrade if for no other reason then while neither is great defensively, John Klingberg can at least make up for that with his ability to generated offense.

Justin Holl is not good defensively, he can't generate ANY offense and he's prone to making game losing mistakes.

The best part about these deals is they are all 1 year which means the Leafs keep all their cap flexibility and they have a ton in 2024.

Reactions: Paradoc

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Can’t spell Canes without an A.

A team can’t sign or trade for what isn’t available. In this case, a star scorer that fits in well with the other pieces on the roster. Many want them to acquire that ASAP. Imo, they need to acquire the right one. It can take time for that player to become available. They remain flexible if he does.

No truly risky contracts signed. Only Staal got more than 3 years. A Jennings-caliber tandem coming in $1.6 mil cheaper than before is really nice. That frees them up to be aggressive elsewhere, like giving Orlov a premium number.
While I really like what they have done so far their grade is incomplete until they move either Skjei or Pesce. Dont see how they keep both and once they do how they set up the D pairings will be interesting. Last year Chatfield spent a few game on the first pair with Burns, and we know TDA. Chat was sheltered a little and a great 3rd pair guy but is the 3rd gonna be TDA and Chat? If not who do you put with Skjei if Pesce gets moved? I'm not sure Chat is good enough D wise to cover for Skjei's offensive gambles. They are taking a interesting approach to adding scoring by removing defensive D for offensive D

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs A+ so far

Reaves contract can be 100% buried, so the term doesn't matter. Adds a physical presence and a good locker room/culture change

Bertuzzi is the best signing for us. Fills a massive hole at 1LW, he's a good player that plays with an edge, exactly what this team needed

Domi is a great signing as well, a good middle 6 winger. Provides depth scoring, a different attitude and plays with an edge

Klingberg is a decent signing, a good PMD, makes breaking out the puck a lot easier. We only really had Rielly/Lily who could do that at a high level, gives our backend more mobility and more offence from the blue line

Hoping we add 1 big physical stay at home D-man, we need another big mean player from the blue line who is responsible defensively. We only really have McCabe who does that right now.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
How they get out of that is likely very simple.

Step 1 Muzzin on LTIR.

Step 2 Murray on LTIR/traded, it's Matt Murray he tends to get injured so I am leaning towards LTIR.

Step 3 trade/waive Timmins and/or Lafferty

Leafs will be fine

Just curious - are either of Timmins/Lafferty penciled into the lineup at all?
And if so - who's their replacement if one or both are dealt? I know it's ELC guys but IDK who's next on the totem poll kinda thing.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
For the Avs I don't know what's the meh rating probably C?

Wood : They gave him way too much term IMO but that contract won't kill us. We keep hearing how he gets alot penalties in the offensive zone. We were told the same with NAK. I hope Bednar finds a way to kinda fix this.

Drouin : At 825K that could become a great reclamation project or could just be a Malgin for us that can score few in the bottom 6 then disappear. He could be our new Nuke minus the defense :sarcasm:

Jack Johnson : Great bringing him back as 6/7D. As much as we like EJ, we're mostly more happy bringing him back at 775K instead of what EJ is making with Buffalo.

Most of our impact moves were on the Johansen and Colton trades which fix two glaring holes we had which is a #2C and #3C. Can Johansen be healthy and produce? That's the question.

Here's our lineup in our last playoff game according to our GTD (can't remember exactly) :
Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Malgin - Compher - Rodrigues
Nieto - Eller - O'Connor
Meyers - Newhook - Hunt (dman)

Here's probably our lineup post FA and draft :
Drouin - Mackinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Johansen - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - O'Connor
Olofsson - Meyers - Cogliano

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just curious - are either of Timmins/Lafferty penciled into the lineup at all?
And if so - who's their replacement if one or both are dealt? I know it's ELC guys but IDK who's next on the totem poll kinda thing.

Timmins probably not,Lafferty might be but he's a winger and the Leafs have suddenly become incredibly deep at wing.

Marner
Nylander
Bertuzzi
Domi
Jarnkrok
Knies
Lafferty
Reaves
Holmberg
Steeves
Robertson

There is some depth there.

If Lafferty were to Leave via trade I'd lean towards Alex Steeves or Holmberg but Holmberg can play center so probably Steeves.

Then again it's only July 3rd the way Treliving has been working he ight have Tatar or Gurianov, or Comtois signed tomorrow I'm putting nothing past him he's making moves.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
While I really like what they have done so far their grade is incomplete until they move either Skjei or Pesce. Dont see how they keep both and once they do how they set up the D pairings will be interesting. Last year Chatfield spent a few game on the first pair with Burns, and we know TDA. Chat was sheltered a little and a great 3rd pair guy but is the 3rd gonna be TDA and Chat? If not who do you put with Skjei if Pesce gets moved? I'm not sure Chat is good enough D wise to cover for Skjei's offensive gambles. They are taking a interesting approach to adding scoring by removing defensive D for offensive D

Why would they possibly move Pesce?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Why would they possibly move Pesce?
The word is he wants a longer contract then they are willing to give him. I certainly want them to keep him but it depends on the extention talks. Personally Skjei's value is as high as it will get after last season and they have brought in offensive Dmen so Skjei would be the one I would trade and extend Pesce but it all depends on if they get a deal worked out

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Rangers: B

managed to address some needs with low cost/high upside moves with low trek and AAVs. These moves also give the arrangers flexibility throughout the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad