Value of: After the 1st two days of major UFA signings. What are your team grades?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sabres:

B-

I like that Adams went out and got 2 RHDs that are better than what we had last year (Jokiharju, Lyubushkin). Clifton does require a bit of projection as Power's partner, but EJ should be rock solid.
Stillman as 3rd pair LHD is still questionable. Still need one more defensively-minded forward, IMO. And then there's still that nagging goalie thing..........we running with UPL/Comrie/Levi?

Feels like there's still a move or two that needs to be done, but I've liked what he's done so far.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sabres:

B-

I like that Adams went out and got 2 RHDs that are better than what we had last year (Jokiharju, Lyubushkin). Clifton does require a bit of projection as Power's partner, but EJ should be rock solid.
Stillman as 3rd pair LHD is still questionable. Still need one more defensively-minded forward, IMO. And then there's still that nagging goalie thing..........we running with UPL/Comrie/Levi?

Feels like there's still a move or two that needs to be done, but I've liked what he's done so far.
You guys got a good one in Clifton. I wish he signed with another club/conference. Now have to face him 4 times a season.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
C for the Caps. Edmundson and Pacioretty bring veteran presence to the oldest team in the NHL. They also bring slow skating and a plethora of injuries. Not a fan of giving a 3rd for Edmundson or the bonus for Pacioretty but as 1 year low risk deals, I can’t complain too much but these deals certainly moved the needle nil.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Sharks - B

This is a weird one because their goal right now isn’t to compete but to keep building team culture and easing their rookies into the NHL. Some of the guys they signed will hopefully help with that and I don’t hate a reclamation project in Blackwell - at worst (or best?) he’s as awful as he’s been and he and Kahkonen tank us into a top 3 pick. At best, he regains form and we actually have a real goalie for when some of our prospects are ready to come in.

I love the Duclair trade the most — great guy to fill in in the top 6 and an ideal trade deadline player. I would love to see more moves like that.

Also, our defense is so atrocious that a part of me would have liked adding any real NHLer to it? But again, the point isn’t to be good next year, so with that in mind… yeah, it’s a B.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Can’t spell Canes without an A.

A team can’t sign or trade for what isn’t available. In this case, a star scorer that fits in well with the other pieces on the roster. Many want them to acquire that ASAP. Imo, they need to acquire the right one. It can take time for that player to become available. They remain flexible if he does.

No truly risky contracts signed. Only Staal got more than 3 years. A Jennings-caliber tandem coming in $1.6 mil cheaper than before is really nice. That frees them up to be aggressive elsewhere, like giving Orlov a premium number.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sabres - F

Not acquiring a vet goalie when you are throwing a 21 year old with no pro experience into the starters role should not only be a fireable offense…it should get you blacklisted from management in any company in any field ever again.

Top 6 forward with a six month injury…don’t bother bringing in a replacement. Keep Olofsson who is awful and wait for one more injury to sink a 13th straight season. You needed help at defensive forward if nothing else…that before one of your skill forwards went down. You get neither?

Horde every asset for another year you coward.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You really can’t grade things until halfway through the season. Look at Klingberg last season. Paid $7 million for him and he was atrocious but everyone called it great because they were going to get a prime asset for him.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Sabres - F

Not acquiring a vet goalie when you are throwing a 21 year old with no pro experience into the starters role should not only be a fireable offense…it should get you blacklisted from management in any company in any field ever again.

Top 6 forward with a six month injury…don’t bother bringing in a replacement. Keep Olofsson who is awful and wait for one more injury to sink a 13th straight season. You needed help at defensive forward if nothing else…that before one of your skill forwards went down. You get neither?

Horde every asset for another year you coward.
Off season isn't over and I think Levi has the comportment to handle himself very well. Maybe they'll bring in someone before camp

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
What can you say about the Isles:
Sorokin - A+
Mayfield - C+
Varlamov - D
Engvall - B

Guess that puts them in B range? One of them was an extension so maybe doesn't count for the purpose of this thread?
A plus and c plus equals b plus

D and b equals c

B plus and c is a B to B minus. Personally I'd raise Mayfield and lower Engvall and give team an overall B minus

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The haters won’t like it but A for the leafs

Getting Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg on 1 year deals and Reaves as a 12/13th forward is just tidy business. Even If this doesn’t work you have assets you can move at the deadline and none of these contracts move into next year so you keep all your flexibility when re-signing Matthews and Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad