Value of: Adam Larsson

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Thats fair response. Doesn't mean I can't hate the trade

I dont blame you if you hate the trade. I've enjoyed watching Larsson's progression from where he was when he came into the league to it finally clicking with him last year and if he was going to be moved, this is the return I wanted, so Im completely opposite in that Im thrilled with the trade. Larsson's already good and hes going to be even better going forward, but I don't think what he provides is worth Taylor Hall today. IMO Chiarelli ultimately deemed Hall expendable because of the other forwards the Oilers have. He took a swing and time will tell if it works out. At the end of the day this deal could work out really good for both teams.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Nobody can deny Hamilton is the superior offensive player, but a similar gap exists between the two player's defensive games. Hamilton gets fed soft minutes and still struggles to keep the puck out of his net. Larsson played the shutdown role in NJ and finished +15 on a team with a -20 goal differential. When you factor in contracts, I think you've got the add coming from the wrong side.

Really? Devils fans were in favour of that suggestion? I highly doubt it. Kadri is an average 2nd liner. In no way does that land a top pair D.

Where is the top pair D in this thread? I thought we were talking about Adam Larsson

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Larsson isnt a top pair D.... Edm fans calling him that really has no clue. He is a very solid top 4 nothing more, nothing less. If u actually watched NJ you would know that. Eye test and advanced stats back it up.

The eye test proves you wrong though. He was crucial to NJs top pairing and the top 10 defense it was for the better part of the year if not the whole year (don't remember where they finished). He played 20+ mins every night on the TOP pairing while ending +15 on the lowest scoring team in the league. Is he a bonafide number 1? Maybe not yet, but he's a top pairing guy.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
The eye test proves you wrong though. He was crucial to NJs top pairing and the top 10 defense it was for the better part of the year if not the whole year (don't remember where they finished). He played 20+ mins every night on the TOP pairing while ending +15 on the lowest scoring team in the league. Is he a bonafide number 1? Maybe not yet, but he's a top pairing guy.

In fairness, the real test for Adam will be how he fares away from Andy Greene and also under new coaching since Alain Nasreddine was huge for Larsson last season. We've seen Larsson struggle without the right coaches. I don't disagree with your point, but I dont think its that clear cut yet. Larsson could be a top pairing guy for the rest of his career, but Id also not be surprised if he tops out as a 3rd or 4th ultimately. He's still really young and he has the skills to be up top. But to say emphatically he's a top pairing guy I can't agree with yet. This coming season will say a lot.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
I think I'd offer Gallagher value wise, but wouldn't pull the trigger because obviously we don't need RHD. Just value wise I think that's what he's worth about, more or less... NJ would say no too

cc

Feb 28, 2002
In fairness, the real test for Adam will be how he fares away from Andy Greene and also under new coaching since Alain Nasreddine was huge for Larsson last season. We've seen Larsson struggle without the right coaches. I don't disagree with your point, but I dont think its that clear cut yet. Larsson could be a top pairing guy for the rest of his career, but Id also not be surprised if he tops out as a 3rd or 4th ultimately. He's still really young and he has the skills to be up top. But to say emphatically he's a top pairing guy I can't agree with yet. This coming season will say a lot.

i'd say another test is also not playing in front of Corey Schneider. Sometimes Dmen develop chemistry with certain goalies (or vice versa) that are hard to match with other goalies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Larsson isnt a top pair D.... Edm fans calling him that really has no clue. He is a very solid top 4 nothing more, nothing less. If u actually watched NJ you would know that. Eye test and advanced stats back it up.

Except every NJ fan in here is telling you he played that role. He was paired with Greene the majority of the year, averaging 22:30 per game - :27 less than Greene, 2:40 more than their next D (Moore). He played that much while getting next to no PP time.

It's fair to debate whether his great defensive numbers were carried by Greene, but at the end of the day it's simply opinion one way or another. The FACT is that he was paired with the Devils #1 D, and played the second most minutes on the team. There is no argument in the world that can disprove he played a top pairing role in New Jersey.

Where is the top pair D in this thread? I thought we were talking about Adam Larsson

See above.

Honestly, I've never wanted a season to start so badly. I think Larsson and Klefbom are going to emerge as a legit top pair. Obviously Klefbom can't offer some of the elements Greene does (experience, poise, systematic discipline), but I think Klefbom's skating, athleticism and developing offensive game are going to open up things for Larsson as well.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
It's extremely obvious who hasn't watched the kid play. I know +/- isn't a great stat, but in context, it's incredible that someone was +15 in New Jersey. They had the lowest even strength goals for in the league!

To watch him play is to understand why he did require such an over payment. Like many have said in this thread, the only scary thing about this trade is that he hasn't played without Greene very much in recent years.

I'm not sure if he'll ever become a number one defenseman, but he's definitely at least a number two.

Good luck Oiler fans!

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
EDM would never get a return back equal to Hall unless Larsson proves to be a number two in two years

Ementy

May 11, 2010

He's being built up to a level he hasn't played at and when he doesn't meet those lofty projections it'll be his fault.

what do you mean he played first pairing all last year and ate the hard minutes and had something like 20 less seconds per game than green. I fail to see your logic. He is a #2 currently and was the #2 in NJ.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Leafs and Devils fans have had many a conversation around Kadri for Larsson with whichever side adding as necessary

I still think that's probably the most accurate 1 for 1 representation, or Toronto adds a small piece

maybe before the 15-16 season

more recently, theres no Devil fan that would have traded Larsson for Kadri

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How long until Oiler fans start calling Hall an injury plagued, locker room cancer, one dimensional winger?

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
How long until Oiler fans start calling Hall an injury plagued, locker room cancer, one dimensional winger?

I don't think it will come to that. I think most Oiler fans have defended hall so much and will continue to argue he is one of the top wingers in the game. Except the part you said about "locker room cancer" I can see many in our fan base trying to use this as a justification for the trade and why we are "better off" with Larsson even though he is an inferior player in a vacuum.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
So we all knew that Chia was "over a barrel" when it came to acquiring a young D-man with potential and in the end he had to overpay.

That being said, if your team needed a young D-man and had traded for Larsson, what would have been an acceptable price for your team to pay?

This question varies depending on team needs obviously just like the real nhl.. as a Panther fan I wouldn't give up much more than a 1st round pick and prospect cause we don't need him.. where as oilers woukd.... well u know that scenario

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

While I doubt he is a locker room cancer there is question marks about him in dressing room no doubt as far as attitude is concerned

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don't think it will come to that. I think most Oiler fans have defended hall so much and will continue to argue he is one of the top wingers in the game. Except the part you said about "locker room cancer" I can see many in our fan base trying to use this as a justification for the trade and why we are "better off" with Larsson even though he is an inferior player in a vacuum.
I have yet to see anything to back this up. The media in Edmonton had nothing but praise for how Hall conducted himself and this was post-trade

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I probably would have traded Toffoli for Larsson, and Toffoli is the most valuable piece on the Kings roster (outside of Doughty, who is as untouchable as McDavid). The Kings need a #2 defender to take the pressure off of Doughty, and the Kings are built to win with a stellar defense, which they currently do not have.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00