Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carlson and Alzner are the "core pieces" that should go. Alzner via free agency (maybe fetch a 3rd or 4th for his UFA rights). Carlson for a king's ransom to some team desperate for a defenseman.

Johansson can go too, but he's largely window dressing. Ditching Johansson will do no more to change the core of this team than moving on from Fleischmann or Kozlov or Fehr.

Backstrom still had 13 points in 13 playoff games, and scored goals in both games 5 and 6. They're not going to be able to build anything resembling quality center depth without him.

They simply won't be able to move Ovechkin in anything resembling a fair deal, given his contract. Too few suitors to take on that amount of money, and they'd have to take too much baggage back to make it work.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
He would need to rededicate himself as a professional. Lose 15 lbs, and get back to moving his feet.

He's been giving about 75% effort for too many seasons.

If I'm BMAC, I'm putting him on the spot.

Do exactly what we want you to do over the summer or you're done here.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If I'm BMAC, I'm putting him on the spot.

Do exactly what we want you to do over the summer or you're done here.

Who says BMac is safe? Should he be?

I don't necessarily disagree with his moves in large part (more good than bad) or the concept of putting the team "All In" to win the cup. But he did put the team All In, and it didn't work. By his own admission, this was the last year of the prime window. Should Ted move on to a different GM for the next phase of the Capitals history?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Carlson and Alzner are the "core pieces" that should go. Alzner via free agency (maybe fetch a 3rd or 4th for his UFA rights). Carlson for a king's ransom to some team desperate for a defenseman.

Johansson can go too, but he's largely window dressing. Ditching Johansson will do no more to change the core of this team than moving on from Fleischmann or Kozlov or Fehr.

Backstrom still had 13 points in 13 playoff games, and scored goals in both games 5 and 6. They're not going to be able to build anything resembling quality center depth without him.

They simply won't be able to move Ovechkin in anything resembling a fair deal, given his contract. Too few suitors to take on that amount of money, and they'd have to take too much baggage back to make it work.

Overall, I agree.

As for Ovi, politics aside, one could accept a less than fair deal. Even if the only thing you were to get from an Ovi trade was enough extra cap space to keep Oshie, that already could be a net win, IMO. Unfortunately.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Who says BMac is safe? Should he be?

I don't necessarily disagree with his moves in large part (more good than bad) or the concept of putting the team "All In" to win the cup. But he did put the team All In, and it didn't work. By his own admission, this was the last year of the prime window. Should Ted move on to a different GM for the next phase of the Capitals history?

Bmac built a great team.

His players and coaches failed him.

This isn't on him.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
If your goal is to just make the playoffs....I guess I agree.

Teams would jump like crazy on the idea of getting a player of Backstrom's caliber.

Carlson's inconsistency and Ovechkin's downfall are way bigger issues at this point. Holtby was also really ****ing bad in this postseason and literally cost us at least 3 games against the Pens.

I think the Caps need a few core changes, but #19 is the absolute last player I would trade.

A legit #1C is a rare commodity and Kuznetsov is definitely NOT one of them.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Then you might as well trade everybody, accumulate lottery picks for a few years, build from scratch.

Any direction is better then the one we have. The pieces we have will never add up to a winner. If you want to hold on to most of the team and sneak into the playoffs only to get bounced early again. Congratulations you will be happy with next season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Teams would jump like crazy on the idea of getting a player of Backstrom's caliber.

Carlson's inconsistency and Ovechkin's downfall are way bigger issues at this point. Holtby was also really ****ing bad in this postseason and literally cost us at least 3 games against the Pens.

I think the Caps need a few core changes, but #19 is the absolute last player I would trade.

A legit #1C is a rare commodity and Kuznetsov is definitely NOT one of them.

And I'm looking at 19 as your most tradable asset for a meaningful shift in the core, given Ted will be loathe to move Ovy.

If not trading Backstrom for a 1D or 2C+, then Carlson+ in a blockbuster deal netting us a premium forward.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If there's a will there's a way. If ownership wants to move on, they'll find a situation that's workable for all parties. It's not like keeping Ovechkin doesn't come with a lot of baggage of its own. Their failures aren't all on him but their demeanor needs to change and it's hard to change that with him overshadowing everyone else. He's not an evolving player. He's not a standard bearer. He's a goal-scorer and that's about it. Always has been and the rest will only continue to decline as he logs more miles. Trotz does not really know how to handle him. The Ovechkin Question should become unavoidable given his ice-time in Game 7. Either Trotz will go or Ovechkin IMO, if not more. It isn't Hunter level dysfunctional and Trotz will deny it but it's not an ideal pairing there. It's just not.

Knowing the Caps it doesn't really matter. They probably will not leave their bubble enough to make the necessary changes in the long run to progress further.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If the coaches and players he had in place failed, how could it be considered a great team?

It was a very well constructed team and the best regular season team 2 years running. I doubt you could find an NHL Exec who doesn't think Bmac hasn't done very well in his 2 years at the helm.

Bmac can't make Ovy a better Pro at this point. He can keep doing the coaching shuffle sure...but best record in the regular season, only to fall short repeatedly eventually has to fall on the shoulders of your best players.

I guess you're pushing for a cleaning of the house from GM down to the coaching staff?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They've never had a cup winning coach and have been painfully outcoached whenever it mattered.

Bring in Sutter, hell replace BMac with Lombardi while at it. Enough in house GMs coupled with loser coaches

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Any direction is better then the one we have. The pieces we have will never add up to a winner. If you want to hold on to most of the team and sneak into the playoffs only to get bounced early again. Congratulations you will be happy with next season.

I never said anything of the kind. I'm making an argument to keep one particular piece of the old core -- unless you can find a deal that actually makes some sense. That's not exactly arguing to keep everybody...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It was a very well constructed team and the best regular season team 2 years running. I doubt you could find an NHL Exec who doesn't think Bmac hasn't done very well in his 2 years at the helm.

Bmac can't make Ovy a better Pro at this point. He can keep doing the coaching shuffle sure...but best record in the regular season, only to fall short repeatedly eventually has to fall on the shoulders of your best players.

I guess you're pushing for a cleaning of the house from GM down to the coaching staff?

I don't know where I stand on BMac. Like I said, I agree with most of what he's done. I'm just questioning the blanket assumption that he's safe. If the Caps really are going to open a brand new chapter, then they should make sure they have the GM with a vision and skill set that matches the direction they want to take the team.

The coaching staff 100% should be gone. Not just Trotz. Reirden and Forsythe and whoever else should be pitched as well. I say this knowing full well that Reirden may end up a quality head coach one day.

Also, GMBM's been around 3 years, not 2.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If there's a will there's a way. If ownership wants to move on, they'll find a situation that's workable for all parties. It's not like keeping Ovechkin doesn't come with a lot of baggage of its own. Their failures aren't all on him but their demeanor needs to change and it's hard to change that with him overshadowing everyone else. He's not an evolving player. He's not a standard bearer. He's a goal-scorer and that's about it. Always has been and the rest will only continue to decline as he logs more miles. Trotz does not really know how to handle him. The Ovechkin Question should become unavoidable given his ice-time in Game 7. Either Trotz will go or Ovechkin IMO, if not more. It isn't Hunter level dysfunctional and Trotz will deny it but it's not an ideal pairing there. It's just not.

Knowing the Caps it doesn't really matter. They probably will not leave their bubble enough to make the necessary changes in the long run to progress further.

Trotz will be gone before Ovechkin, no doubt.

As weird as this sounds, Oates was probably the best coach for Ovechkin. In many ways, forcing him to try and do less himself and become a pure sniper helped revamp Ovechkin's career. If they can find an Oates-type that doesn't come with all the meglomania and incessant fiddling that led to his implosion, perhaps they can get something more from Ovechkin.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I understand the people praising Backstrom, but we need to remember that he'll be 30 soon. The question is: is Nick the #1C to lead the team to the Stanley Cup? If the answer is not a sonorous "yes", it's better to listen what he can bring back in a trade before he inevitably starts to decline and we're stuck with 2 franchise forwards that could never lead us anywhere and became unmoveable.
As weird as this sounds, Oates was probably the best coach for Ovechkin. In many ways, forcing him to try and do less himself and become a pure sniper helped revamp Ovechkin's career. If they can find an Oates-type that doesn't come with all the meglomania and incessant fiddling that led to his implosion, perhaps they can get something more from Ovechkin.
The only way they get more from Ovechkin is if Ovechkin understands that he needs to bring a lot more to the ice. There's no use for coaches' dances with tambourines if a player isn't giving his best effort on the ice.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Keep Backstrom guys, he's still a great playmaker and #1 C's are too hard to come by. Despite his faults he showed in games 5&6 that he can play with wingers not named Ovechkin and still produce. If you insist on trading him now when emotions are running high I think you'll regret it later when he's scorching the league while playing for someone else.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Trotz will be gone before Ovechkin, no doubt.

Nah, Oates was bad.

Dude transformed a prime Ovi that could still skate and create into a gliding turret.

His first year under Trotz he was a force, skating, hitting, creating.

I forget how many posts he hit that year.

Finished 2nd in MVP to Price.

Last season you could see his game slip a bit and now he's back to being one-dimensional but that's partly because of physical limitations due to age.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't know where I stand on BMac. Like I said, I agree with most of what he's done. I'm just questioning the blanket assumption that he's safe. If the Caps really are going to open a brand new chapter, then they should make sure they have the GM with a vision and skill set that matches the direction they want to take the team.

The coaching staff 100% should be gone. Not just Trotz. Reirden and Forsythe and whoever else should be pitched as well. I say this knowing full well that Reirden may end up a quality head coach one day.

Also, GMBM's been around 3 years, not 2.

One problem is, I think Leonsis is completely clueless about hockey, or maybe even sports in general. If he picks a new GM, I think it's literally gonna be a coin flip. I'd much rather keep BMac. I think his real test starts right now. He's done a good job trying to give the Ovechkin core the best possible crack at it. He hasn't made any costly errors. That's not a bad start. Now we'll see if he can come up with a new vision.

There may very well be a better GM out there -- I just have zero trust in Leonsis's ability to identify that guy.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
If it was up to me.

Trade Carlson and Mojo this off season.

Trade Holtby the next season

Trade Backstrom the season after that.

Mojo should be worth a good young player. And the other three should bring a king’s ransom.

I would build a team based on a system and not just a collection of talent. Let the young guy play and see who sticks. OV can just rot as he plays out his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad