Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Well boys and girls another "wonderful" year. Now its time to talk about what changes Mac needs to make

1.Get rid of a playmaker, add a shooter-I said this at the beginning of the Toronto series and i was laughed at. I suggested Mojo
"But...But the Power Play" or But...But he works so well with Kuzy". Who gives a **** when you got 2 playmakers on each of the first two lines and arn't willing to take chances until we are in trouble. Now this leads to #2

2.Keep Oshie-What else can you say about Oshie. That dude cares.He is the kind of guy you want. He works hard, he battles, does everything right.

3. Find one other shooting forward.-Bura has to go down the 3rd line. He has to change his mentality for me to put him on line 2 because i see some similarities to Mojo.

OV-NB-Oshie
XX-EK-XX
AB-LE-Wilson?
???-Beagle-???

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The BMac era has been All-In to win the cup, both in terms of the types of contracts given up as well as the asset management. Any significant moves to try and restock for the players they are about to lose are going to be difficult, and they're in a terrible position to start a wholesale rebuild.

Part of this problem is they are technically a wild card team for the next few years and revenue for Ted. If they are smart they will trade Ovechkin and focus on full rebuild. If they resign Shattenkirk, I give up.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Well boys and girls another "wonderful" year. Now its time to talk about what changes Mac needs to make

1.Get rid of a playmaker, add a shooter-I said this at the beginning of the Toronto series and i was laughed at. I suggested Mojo
"But...But the Power Play" or But...But he works so well with Kuzy". Who gives a **** when you got 2 playmakers on each of the first two lines and arn't willing to take chances until we are in trouble. Now this leads to #2

2.Keep Oshie-What else can you say about Oshie. That dude cares.He is the kind of guy you want. He works hard, he battles, does everything right.

3. Find one other shooting forward.-Bura has to go down the 3rd line. He has to change his mentality for me to put him on line 2 because i see some similarities to Mojo.

OV-NB-Oshie
XX-EK-XX
AB-LE-Wilson?
???-Beagle-???

That would not keep me as a fan. That's not even close to the changes that would change anything.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
That would not keep me as a fan. That's not even close to the changes that would change anything.

Got a better idea. We arn't tearing the house down. The core is here to stay whether you like it or not. Not taking chances and playing around with the puck was the biggest issue.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Got a better idea. We arn't tearing the house down. The core is here to stay whether you like it or not. Not taking chances and playing around with the puck was the biggest issue.

Nothing will change until this core is gone. This is not something a coach can fix.

I would strip OV of the "C" and hope he went to the KHL. Then hope for rock bottom to start over.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Lets be honest here. Ted is going with OV until his contract is up. So no rebuild starts until at least 4 years.

Actually the honesty with it is Ovechkin's value is probably at an all time low and his contract will be hell a tough to move

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Actually the honesty with it is Ovechkin's value is probably at an all time low and his contract will be hell a tough to move

Would you be really surprised if they didn't move OV. I want the rebuild, but i don't see it happening. I would be happily shocked if they do.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Would you be really surprised if they didn't move OV. I want the rebuild, but i don't see it happening. I would be happily shocked if they do.

Nope he's tied to this franchise for life. Watching him play the remainder of his contract is going to be hard.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Maclellan failed to upgrade the bottom 6 scoring at the deadline, overpaid for Eller last summer, and hasn't won anything since 1990. Ted hires a coach who hasn't gotten past the second round since 1996, and whose last championship was a Calder in 1994. As noted previously, Dick Patrick has beenwith the team since 1982. 4 players who have gotten past the second round, captained by a guy who never has.
If you want to be successful, surround yourself with those who are
If you want to learn how to do, learn from those who know how
If you want to win, ....
This organization simply just doesn't know how to win. Hence, the stench that permeates throughout.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Let Oshie walk. He had a fine 2 years in DC but he's going to deteriorate fast given his style of play. We've seen Ovechkin slow down and there's no reason to think Oshie hasn't played his best hockey.

Re-sign Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Schmidt, and Orlov. These are no-brainers IMO.

I'd HIGHLY consider trading Carlson. He's likely to have a ton of value on the trade market and could return a significant younger piece in return if the Adam Larsson trade last season was any indication of the value of a RHD who honestly is way worse than Carlson. I'd be open to re-signing Carlson to a team-friendly deal as well but it would be a disaster to let him walk in 2018 for nothing.

I have no idea what to do with Ovechkin.

Protect Wilson and see if he can develop any sort of offensive game in the top 6 next season.

Try to re-sign Williams I guess but I doubt he'll go for it.

Let Alzner walk and thank him for his service.

Try to unload Orpik's contract somehow.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Nobody will take a 32 years old 70 points floater on a $9.5M contract. Ovechkin stays here.

Trade Backstrom for a top prospect and a 1st while his value is still high.
Trade Johansson and Eller for whatever's possible.
Re-sign Oshie, then all RFAs possible, then Williams, if their demands can be met.
Let Alzner and Shattenkirk go. Trade Carlson.
Strip Ovechkin of the captaincy and move him deeper down the roster.

If we coninue to build a team that cruises to top seeds and doesn't know what is to earn every victory, we'll never win.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Trading Backstrom and Carlson would be a good start. They could come out with 4-5 good young players.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They're really close, just need to not lose Schmidt and replace Trotz with Sutter and do some bottom 6 changes.

Next year is their year, Pittsburgh will be too worn down by the repeat and Vegas will throw a wrench into everybody's roster. Bring in Sutter, retain Oshie and Williams (to help with Sutter), replace the bottom pairing with better players that cost 20% as much, tweak the bottom 6 into a scoring one and they'll win the cup. They won 2 out of 6 last year, 3 out of 7 this year, so it will be 4 next year.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
They're really close, just need to not lose Schmidt and replace Trotz with Sutter and do some bottom 6 changes.

Next year is their year, Pittsburgh will be too worn down by the repeat and Vegas will throw a wrench into everybody's roster. Bring in Sutter, retain Oshie and Williams (to help with Sutter), replace the bottom pairing with better players that cost 20% as much, tweak the bottom 6 into a scoring one and they'll win the cup. They won 2 out of 6 last year, 3 out of 7 this year, so it will be 4 next year.

We've heard this for what, 10 years?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
We've heard this for what, 10 years?

Yeah but they've always half assed it, best they did was get Ward who was a guarantee to dominate every series.

They replaced Mike Richards with another guy famous for being bad offensively... after getting lit up offensively by the bottom 6 they were up against.

Get like Bonino or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad