Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Keep Backstrom guys, he's still a great playmaker and #1 C's are too hard to come by. Despite his faults he showed in games 5&6 that he can play with wingers not named Ovechkin and still produce. If you insist on trading him now when emotions are running high I think you'll regret it later when he's scorching the league while playing for someone else.

Backstrom was a complete beast starting the season with Burakovsky and Johansson as his linemates.

Trotz was very stubborn and decided to keep Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie, even though Ovechkin has been dragging them down for a while now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
One problem is, I think Leonsis is completely clueless about hockey, or maybe even sports in general. If he picks a new GM, I think it's literally gonna be a coin flip. I'd much rather keep BMac. I think his real test starts right now. He's done a good job trying to give the Ovechkin core the best possible crack at it. He hasn't made any costly errors. That's not a bad start. Now we'll see if he can come up with a new vision.

There may very well be a better GM out there -- I just have zero trust in Leonsis's ability to identify that guy.

Presumably Dick Patrick is involved in GM searches. Although that raises the point that Dick Patrick has been involved in even more Capitals flame outs than anyone else, and why his job is still safe is even more questionable than why GMBM's is.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nah, Oates was bad.

Dude transformed a prime Ovi that could still skate and create into a gliding turret.

His first year under Trotz he was a force, skating, hitting, creating.

I forget how many posts he hit that year.

Finished 2nd in MVP to Price.

Last season you could see his game slip a bit and now he's back to being one-dimensional but that's partly because of physical limitations due to age.

Oates was definitely bad for the Capitals, no doubt.

But he was good for Ovechkin. You forget how Ovie looked in the two seasons prior to Oates. Prior to Oates, he wasn't the skating, creating Ovechkin. He was a 30G/65P Ovechkin who would skate into 2-on-1s and constantly turnover pucks at the blueline. He had already lost his ability to generate plays individually, but had yet to truly discover his ability to be a complementary force that could rely on team play.

Obviously the right wing experiment under Oates was a disaster, but I think Ovechkin learned how to be a complimentary player under Oates, and it helped him both during the Oates years and during the Trotz years.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

But he was good for Ovechkin. You forget how Ovie looked in the two seasons prior to Oates. Prior to Oates, he wasn't the skating, creating Ovechkin. He was a 30G/65P Ovechkin who would skate into 2-on-1s and constantly turnover pucks at the blueline. He had already lost his ability to generate plays individually, but had yet to truly discover his ability to be a complementary force that could rely on team play.

Obviously the right wing experiment under Oates was a disaster, but I think Ovechkin learned how to be a complimentary player under Oates, and it helped him both during the Oates years and during the Trotz years.

Right, but right now he's right back to where he was at that time. He can't skate the puck in, he flubs every puck sent his way, and he hasn't scored in this calendar year consistently at all.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Backstrom was a complete beast starting the season with Burakovsky and Johansson as his linemates.

Trotz was very stubborn and decided to keep Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie, even though Ovechkin has been dragging them down for a while now.

It's interesting how Backstrom has been so underrated his whole career, playing great hockey but living in Ovie's shadow, and now he's (in my opinion) the more valuable player long-term. So he's pushing 30-ish, big deal. He still has good years left for a center. The only way you're realistically going to replace him is via a high draft pick so trading him shouldn't be an option unless you somehow get a younger replacement back. Fat chance.

Take it from a Leafs fan who has had the likes of Tyler Bozak leading our center position for years until we drafted Matthews... DON'T trade Backstrom unless you're 100% sure you can replace him. Maybe having a #1 C for ten years has left some fans complacent or something. I wouldn't take it for granted.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010

In his first "bad" season he had 32 goals and 53 assists and 61 of those points were at even strength.

Only had seven PPG's that year.

Then he placed 5th in the league with 38 goals playing under Hunter's conservative system.

He could still be THE guy, he still had the legs and skill.

We basically wasted a huge chunk of his prime years (26 to 28) by thinking he needed to be fixed instead of the roster around him.

What a dumb-ass McPhee was.

Now that we finally have a great team around him, he's hampering us :cry:

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
In his first "bad" season he had 32 goals and 53 assists and 61 of those points were at even strength.

Only had seven PPG's that year.

Then he placed 5th in the league with 38 goals playing under Hunter's conservative system.

He could still be THE guy, he still had the legs and skill.

We basically wasted a huge chunk of his prime years (26 to 28) by thinking he needed to be fixed instead of the roster around him.

What a dumb-ass McPhee was.

Now that we finally have a great team around him, he's hampering us :cry:

I think GMGM was a great collector of talent. He just had no clue how to put together a winner. Even now the team has more talent then any team in the league. They are just not built to play a system.

Vancity96

Apr 13, 2014
Hi guys, I'm a Canucks fan, but Washington is my second team as Ovi is my favourite player, and has been since he's entered the league. Game 7 tonight reminded me too much of the Canucks game 7 against Boston in 2011, where everyone just looked defeated after the pen's first goal.

Here is what I would do to this team.

1) Talk to Ovechkin. First, his effort. Literally, blow it in his face, and don't sugar coat it. I was watching the series, and there are moments where I thought Ovi flat out didn't give a ****. Give it to him as if he's a one time call up, and you're telling him what it takes to play on this team. Second, get him to drop 15lb+, and train hard all summer, each day. Train all of his hockey, skating, and fitness skills. You don't just lose your speed, and stickhandling skills all in one offseason. That is complete ********. Make him skate up and down the ice with the puck, over and over and over again. Show him that he still has the ability to be the best in the world.

2) Let Ovi play his game in the neutral and offensive zone. If not, get rid of Trotz and replace him with someone who will. I've said it time and time again, Trotz is the absolute worst coach for Ovi because he emphasizes structure over player abilities. Ovi sitting on the left wall and hovering around is the last thing the Caps need. When your best player touches the puck less that his line mates, you've got a problem. The thing that made Ovi and the caps so dangerous was because Ovi caused the havoc for the other teams D, while now it's his linemates.If the opposing D cut off the pass to Ovi, they win that 4v4 almost every time (ex. Crosby+Sheary> Backstrom+Oshie).

3) Get a true, reliable #1 D. Do whatever it takes. Get one. Every D you guys have can have brain farts in their own zone apart from Niskanen. Both the pens goals today were because of bad defensive coverage/positioning, by the forwards, and by the defenseman.

4) Upgrade the bottom 6. There is no offensive threat because all those guys do is hit, and nothing else. Get a player that should be on the second line to take control of the 3rd (and no, that is not Ovi)

If you guys show Ovi he still has what it takes to take over games, he is probably still a 50+ goal, 80+ point player, but you need a coach that uses his potential, and shows trust in him. I feel Trotz relies on Backstrom, who isn't a bad player, but also isn't a game breaker. You need Ovi to win the cup, bring his passion back. Also, don't make the mistake of trying to change the identity of the team. It needs little tweaks, you guys still have time. The Canucks made the mistake of trying to change, and we've been paying ever since.

Ovi-Kuzy-xx
xx-Backstrom-Oshie
xx--xx-Vrana
xx-Beagle-Wilson

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
As for Ovi, politics aside, one could accept a less than fair deal. Even if the only thing you were to get from an Ovi trade was enough extra cap space to keep Oshie, that already could be a net win, IMO. Unfortunately.

I agree. I'm not sold on moving Ovechkin -- and it's probably unrealistic -- but that's how you'd have to approach it. The folks that were mentioning getting Kane in an Ovi trade are kidding themselves (unless they meant Evander). This isn't to say we'd get nothing back for him, but it's far more productive to look at it as trading him for $9.5m in cap space, and even that's a reach.

The teams that'd want him most are the ones he wouldn't agree to be traded to, and any contender that might want him can't afford him.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
One problem is, I think Leonsis is completely clueless about hockey, or maybe even sports in general. If he picks a new GM, I think it's literally gonna be a coin flip. I'd much rather keep BMac. I think his real test starts right now. He's done a good job trying to give the Ovechkin core the best possible crack at it. He hasn't made any costly errors. That's not a bad start. Now we'll see if he can come up with a new vision.

There may very well be a better GM out there -- I just have zero trust in Leonsis's ability to identify that guy.

I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe otherwise.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Presumably Dick Patrick is involved in GM searches. Although that raises the point that Dick Patrick has been involved in even more Capitals flame outs than anyone else, and why his job is still safe is even more questionable than why GMBM's is.

Patrick is a minority owner (which sounds vaguely racist, but you know what I mean.) ;)

He's not easy to extricate. It's certainly not impossible, but I think it'd be a mostly cosmetic move.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Would you guys give up Kuz to get a Duchene back? Or sell the farm for someone like Druin? Or do a sign and trade with the Islanders for Taveres? You think theyd take a Backstrom for him? Just interested in knowing your thoughts

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Like predicted, this place is overreacting.
I'd like to remember that this core of losers were the best team in the NHL in a span of 82 games. 2 season in a row. (how do you replace that)?
team ****ed by the nhl format, losing against the cup champion.
I'd love to know if you trade Ovi, Backstrom, Carlson, Holtby, what names do you bring on this team to try to beat Pittsburgh next year??

this thread will be fun until mid october.

M1K3

Feb 9, 2017
This years early second round exit is in my opinion just a statement to the real problem with this Caps team. This group and the core in particular has simply suffered too many playoff failures (management reasons or not) to fully develop the kind of consistency required for playoff success.

This is not about skill, defense or point production. This issue goes much deeper that that. It's the team's overall inability to deliver in the moments that matters most. One can point fingers at certain players, coaches or even the management but when all is said and done, the only thing that has stayed the same throughout all these years of playoff failures is and always has been the core.

The core needs to be retooled with a nucleus of new, young and hungry players free of the baggage of past playoff failures in order to establish a new and positive team culture.

In order to reestablish this new team culture Ovechkin has to go, not because he by any means is the only problem with our core, but because he at this point in time is the most expendable core asset compared to his current salary and the value that he would fetch in a trade.

Pay Vegas the necessary futures to rid us of Orpik's caphit and trade Carlson for a young cost controlled top 6 forward. Combine that with the assets acquired by trading Ovechkin and this team will have taken huge strides towards establishing a new identity.

Resign Schmidt, Grubauer, Orlov, Kuzy, Bura, Oshie and Williams and let the new youngsters settle in.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I honestly think some of the issues with the core have been coaching issues. Look at how much success the Pens have had by putting a rookie on Crosby's wing and throwing them to a lower line when they're experienced enough to handle themselves.

This is know Backstrom and Kuzy should be used - looking to them to use their elite playmaking skills to make less talented/well-rounded players score at higher rates, and building up your third line with standalone talent.

For example:

Mojo-Backstrom-Vrana
Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson
Bura-Eller-Oshie

Instead Trotz put together a talented but flawed third line he didn't trust with more than 10 ES mins each game.

Defensively, Alzner needs replacing with someone cheaper from outside the organisation, as does Orpik ideally. After his limited ice time during the playoffs, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he's bought out this off season if they can't move him (just like I don't expect Alzner to be back). Bowey and Djoos are at least a couple of years off being NHL regulars surely.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Letting Alzner walk and trading Carlson would be wise first steps.
I think most of us agree that he is one who is more often than not elevates his game for playoffs most out of Caps D core.

I think trading him would be mistake for that reason alone.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think most of us agree that he is one who is more often than not elevates his game for playoffs most out of Caps D core.

I think trading him would be mistake for that reason alone.

Carlson is a year away from UFA status in which he'll command at least a 50% raise on his current salary. He is a large part of the core that hasn't been able to get it done, plus he's been dogged by injuries the past two years. He also is probably the piece that could return the most value because of his past production and his low contract hit for next year. He's pretty easily the biggest trade chip I would use if I was GMBM.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Carlson is a year away from UFA status in which he'll command at least a 50% raise on his current salary. He is a large part of the core that hasn't been able to get it done, plus he's been dogged by injuries the past two years. He also is probably the piece that could return the most value because of his past production and his low contract hit for next year. He's pretty easily the biggest trade chip I would use if I was GMBM.

No doubt about it. GMBM probably got calls after the handshakes.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012

Oh, I agree that in real world (where we all know that Ovechkin will never be traded) it makes sense.

But hypothetically if they want to build great playoffs team trading your best playoff defenseman would be mistake.

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
Why trade Carlson instead of Niskanen? Niskanen is older but he's our best all around Defender. He would get a good return.

This team should keep getting younger not older.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
they wont but the only policy that I think has a chance is to clean the slate. Clean the palet. Move everything you can that has anything to do with this latest run of failure. GM, Coach, Players. Step away from the pressure and bad news of the playoffs for a few years. Losing this time around the way they did is harder on the franchise than missing 3 or 4 years of the playoffs.

In 4 or 5 years with a completely fresh group and a coach and gm that have no connection to the choking dogs except the team name, fans might at least have a chance to enjoy a few years.

Personally, I would pefer to route for a young loser Sabres like team, than this mess.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Like predicted, this place is overreacting.
I'd like to remember that this core of losers were the best team in the NHL in a span of 82 games. 2 season in a row. (how do you replace that)?
team ****ed by the nhl format, losing against the cup champion.
I'd love to know if you trade Ovi, Backstrom, Carlson, Holtby, what names do you bring on this team to try to beat Pittsburgh next year??

this thread will be fun until mid october.

they arent going to beat pitts next year. thats the point. This was their best roster assembled playing against a team that had half its team injured and some of its most important pieces missing. The format comment is hilarious. Doesnt matter when you play them.
Keeping those guys is fine but Ovi has to do some serious soul searching. Offseason will be key for him. He just didnt have it this season (speed, shooting, carrying the puck).

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
tough loss..i think you should take another crack at it with this same roster next year. If anything add a quality defenseman but dont overreact like my fellow hawks fans are doing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad