Abbotsford Canucks | Season Starting

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I starting watching in January 2019 and this is the best group of prospects during that span, easily.
Just feels like ... Players are developing. Who knows if they're NHLers. But it certainly feels like player development is doing everything they can here to have the best organizational depth possible.

Edit: the floor has definitely been raised. We'll see what the ceiling looks like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Klimovich playing like a man possessed.....what the hell happened?
I think that the coaching change has been good for Klimovich. And whatever the reason, he is not the utter rockhead that he was in years past. Could see that right from the first game this season. Mostly sound defensive positioning and has cut down on giveaways-- the latter issue still creeps in here and there, but even that now has as much to do with needing to polish his skills as it does with mental errors.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
A very good performance by the guys in the lineup given that there are some noticeable absences at present. Just one caveat: San Diego has been a perennial bottom feeder in recent seasons and appears to be headed again toward the same fate.
How does a farm system of a team that is rebuilding suck constantly.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Tolopilo - big, calm in the net. NHL back up qualities.
Woo - Does not have NHL qualities. He's like Mueller, tries hard but just lacks the skills to make it at the next level.
Raty - I thought he was too slow at making plays.

Reactions: Jay26 and Lindgren

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Utica went to the finals 1 year. Markie in net. Baertschi, Gaunce and I don't remember who else. AHL streamed all playoff gms for free that year.
The Moose went to the finals too. Anyways I was coming at this from a player development & organizational depth perspective, certainly feels like they've raised the floor on prospect quality. Remains to be seen if they've raised the ceiling as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Best players on the ice last night in no particular order were Klimovich (first star); Kudryavtsev, Pettersson, Lekkerimaki, Raty and Mueller.

Been a long time since a group of young guys barely 20, have had that kind of impact in their first few AHL games. It's a long season, and undoubtedly a few of them will hit the wall a few times before it's over.

But after what seems like eons, Canucks fans have some bonafide 'prospects' to actually cheer for on their AHL farm team.. And the list doesn't even include Wilander and Mynio, who might well be 1-2 in terms of their prospect blueliners.

Reactions: arttk

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... Are there successful professional AHL to NHL programs that are administered by AHL GMs at all?
I think the AHL general manager's job is less than running the player development of prospects, though he'll have a hand in it, so the answer to your question would seem to be clearly no, but much of the success of an AHL team at development of players and the team's success in the standings is beyond his control.

Among NHL teams such as the Canucks that own their AHL affiliate, the NHL team chooses who does the coaching and provides the team with players who are on NHL contracts, so essentially the prospects and coaches are all provided by the NHL team.

What the AHL gm does that most affects the team's success, both in the standings and player development, is look at the players provided (or expected to be provided) to the AHL by the parent club and fill in the squad with players on AHL contracts. A good AHL GM looks at what his team needs in addition to the NHL-provided players, often needing to anticipate what the needs will be, and tries to sign players that fill those needs. It will also usually be the AHL general manager who find and signs players from the ECHL to AHL professional tryout contracts when his team is short of players because of injury.

A poor or mediocre AHL general manager may do little more than figure out how many positions he needs to fill and sign the number of players needed without much attention to what the team's shortcomings are. That's why we see, for example, @orcatown referring to the team needing but not signing muscle and why when the Comets were the Canucks' affiliate we used to see @Bad Goalie pointing out the failure of RJ to provide a good AHL playmaking center or a sound, knowledgeable but aging on-ice coach type of defenceman pretty much every season.

I can't think of a season since the 2014-15 season when it seemed to me that the AHL players signed to contracts with our AHL affiliate actually filled the team needs other than for the number of players to be provided. Things are improving for our AHL team, but mostly because the NHL team is providing a better calibre of players than was the case a few seasons ago so there isn't as much need for quality fillins on AHL contracts.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Phil D sighting in warmups for tonight's game.

Ahac might be getting his first game, too, as he was also in the warmup. EDIT: No Ahac, took warmups but scratched.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Ahac might be getting his first game, too, as he was also in the warmup. EDIT: No Ahac, took warmups but scratched.
They're underway.

Tolopilo has the net on the second of the back-to-backs, which I think is a mistake.

Pettersson and Friedman were the starting D pair. Wouters, Smith, and Nielsen up front.

PDG is in. No sign of Wolanin.

Abby down 1-0 after the first.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I think the AHL general manager's job is less than running the player development of prospects, though he'll have a hand in it, so the answer to your question would seem to be clearly no, but much of the success of an AHL team at development of players and the team's success in the standings is beyond his control.

Among NHL teams such as the Canucks that own their AHL affiliate, the NHL team chooses who does the coaching and provides the team with players who are on NHL contracts, so essentially the prospects and coaches are all provided by the NHL team.

What the AHL gm does that most affects the team's success, both in the standings and player development, is look at the players provided (or expected to be provided) to the AHL by the parent club and fill in the squad with players on AHL contracts. A good AHL GM looks at what his team needs in addition to the NHL-provided players, often needing to anticipate what the needs will be, and tries to sign players that fill those needs. It will also usually be the AHL general manager who find and signs players from the ECHL to AHL professional tryout contracts when his team is short of players because of injury.

A poor or mediocre AHL general manager may do little more than figure out how many positions he needs to fill and sign the number of players needed without much attention to what the team's shortcomings are. That's why we see, for example, @orcatown referring to the team needing but not signing muscle and why when the Comets were the Canucks' affiliate we used to see @Bad Goalie pointing out the failure of RJ to provide a good AHL playmaking center or a sound, knowledgeable but aging on-ice coach type of defenceman pretty much every season.

I can't think of a season since the 2014-15 season when it seemed to me that the AHL players signed to contracts with our AHL affiliate actually filled the team needs other than for the number of players to be provided. Things are improving for our AHL team, but mostly because the NHL team is providing a better calibre of players than was the case a few seasons ago so there isn't as much need for quality fillins on AHL contracts.
It's nice to be remembered in such a positive way. Thanks for remembering I once was here. I tried my best to inform you of what I knew.

That 14-15 team was managed brilliantly by Vancouver Asst GM assigned to Utica as their GM, Lorne Henning assisted by Pat O'Connor, Director of Hockey Operations. Conacher had connections throughout the ECHL and was able to acquire/borrow the best players in that league to shore up the Comets depth.

After Benning fired Henning things were never the same and RJ was a major factor in the Comets falling from AHL prominence. He was not in any way, shape, or form involved with acquiring AHL level talent. O'Connor was working his ass off to find high level ECHL talent, but those guys are normally most effective in depth roles and are not capable of raising the competitive level of an AHL hockey team. Henning worked to bring in ex-NHL talent and top AHL level players as free agents and through trades.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
After dominating in Friday's game, the lads couldn't repeat the effort tonight and got whacked 4-1. Two quick PP goals at the end of the second period put the Gulls up 4-0 and pretty much ended the affair. Wouters broke the shutout with a penalty shot goal midway through the third.

Team needs more from its forwards; they've been the weakest group so far. The defencemen are mostly doing okay but there isn't a strong offensive threat among the guys that are currently playing and that deficiency is most notable on the PP. Goaltending has been mostly okay. Recapping the weekend for some players of interest:

Tolopilo played both games this weekend. Wasn't very busy on Friday but was there when the team needed him. Had his weakest game of the season tonight-- wasn't terrible but wasn't good either.

Pettersson is playing steady hockey, using his size well and pretty good with his awareness and positioning. He doesn't make many bad plays with the puck but there are limitations as to what he can do with it.

Kudryavtsev did some good things but occasionally got a bit scrambly. Lack of reach causes difficulty for him at times. He likes to jump up into the rush but his teammates don't usually take good advantage of his presence.

McWard is playing solid hockey with few mistakes and NHL-calibre mobility. I'd like to see him get another chance in Vancouver at some point. He's 23 and will be waiver-eligible next season so there's a time limit with him.

Lekkerimaki wasn't bad in his first action of the season but didn't stand out at all. He shows good hockey sense and good hands but he needs time to get stronger and faster. If he matures well physically he could perhaps become a solid second-line NHL winger.

Raty isn't making a giant case to return to Vancouver just yet.

Sasson has NHL wheels but just not enough in the rest of his game.

Klimovich was the most noticeable winger (not a high bar to clear, mind you), mostly for positive reasons although his puck management decisions were still problematic on a few occasions. He's alright now in terms of his defensive effort and positioning.

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The trials and tribulations of a young team. They can look like world-beaters one night, and then lay an egg the next.

They had a strong first 10-minutes, but gradually punched themselves out and lost steam. Penalty troubles also dogged them all night. After the first period, their zone exits were an adventure almost every time.

The defense collectively had a tough night, but weren't getting much help from the forwards in clearing their own zone. PDG drew back into the lineup, but hardly noticed him.

Lekkerimaki is so close to sniping multiple goals. He's pressing, but his release is all-world. Only a matter of time for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad