Abbotsford Canucks | Season Starting

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I'm clearly overthinking this in my head. Can Brisebois, Wolanin and Twarysnki be classified at "vets" even though they aren't over the 320?
I'll explain it in a little more detail as the language of that stuff that you copied and pasted is a bit confusing/inaccurate.

Among players who are age 25+ prior to the July 1 preceding the season, you can play five skaters that are anywhere over the 260-game mark (based on games prior to the start of the season; games in the current season don't count). You can also play a sixth veteran skater as long as he wasn't over the 320-game mark prior to the start of the season. So if a team has six guys over 320, they can only dress five of them. Abbotsford currently has three guys in the 261-320 range and three that are over 320; they could dress all six of them for any game.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
I'll explain it in a little more detail as the language of that stuff that you copied and pasted is a bit confusing/inaccurate.

Among players who are age 25+ prior to the July 1 preceding the season, you can play five skaters that are anywhere over the 260-game mark (based on games prior to the start of the season; games in the current season don't count). You can also play a sixth veteran skater as long as he wasn't over the 320-game mark prior to the start of the season. So if a team has six guys over 320, they can only dress five of them. Abbotsford currently has three guys in the 261-320 range and three that are over 320; they could dress all six of them for any game.
Yes, this is correct. Or else Brisebois, Wolanin, and Twarynski would need to alternate games until they get to 320 games played, and that would be absolutely silly

Reactions: Blue and Green

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I assume the brain-trust in Abbotsford and Vancouver have a plan as how they want to employ their d-men at the AHL level.

But with Mark Friedman now ticketed for Abbotsford, you have to wonder what it is. If he isn't claimed on waivers, the situation on the blueline is bordering on an 'impossibility'. Far too many d-men for the limited available spots.

I suppose this might be only 'temporary', since I figure the Canucks will eventually want to add an either d-man to their NHL roster. And injuries on defense are an inevitability.

But I really hope the situation in Abby doesn't badly compromise the playing time for kids like D-Petey and Kudryavtsev. They represent 'the future'.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
just noticed abbotsford has at least 10 guys that are left handed pretty stacked and 3 righties.
CanucksArmy has a piece just up on that logjam. The most interesting note for me is that Brannstrom claims to be more comfortable on the right than the left. If so, there's step one.

Step two: I'd like to see management take advantage of the extra numbers by giving Hirose and Brisebois a couple more weeks before putting them into game action. That makes the opening night line-up on the back end something like this:

Wolanin/McWard
Kudryavstev/Woo
Pettersson/Brannstrom

That leaves Felton out of the line-up, and I'm not happy about that. If Felton has looked better than McWard in camp, then swap them.

Where will everyone line up on the Abbotsford Canucks’ crowded left side defence?

Ah, @#$%$. I forgot about Friedman. Who the hell knows what they'll do. If one of the crowd other than the two young guys could get a 7th rounder, that'd be an obvious move, but that's very unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it's been explained on these boards before, but for some reason I'm constantly baffled by the AHL's veteran rules.

I think you can only ice a limited number of players who have over a certain number of games as a pro games in their resume, and are over the age of 25. Is that correct?

If so, won't Friedman, Wolanin and maybe even Wolanin and Brannstrom be affected by that rule?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I know it's been explained on these boards before, but for some reason I'm constantly baffled by the AHL's veteran rules.

I think you can only ice a limited number of players who have over a certain number of games as a pro games in their resume, and are over the age of 25. Is that correct?

If so, won't Friedman, Wolanin and maybe even Wolanin and Brannstrom be affected by that rule?
You can find more than one pretty thorough explanation if you read back just a few posts.

Read the thread!

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
First game tomorrow, will be interesting to see how lines are looking. I haven't seen anything about what they were running for lines/d-pairs at practices.

The official account posts right before the game starts but there's never been anyone that reports on the practices or projected lines. At least with any consistency.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
They can't send a guy on a 1-way NHL deal to the ECHL.
It doesn't matter if the contract is 1 way so long as it is not entry level. A player on an NHL contract other than an entry level contract can only be sent to the ECHL if he consents. Article 13.11 of the collective bargaining agreement reads:

13.11 No Loans to East Coast Hockey League. A Player who is not in the Entry Level System may not be Loaned to the East Coast Hockey League without his consent.

Reactions: Lindgren

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
  • A minimum of 12 skaters that have played fewer than 260 professional games – development players
  • A maximum of one skater that has played fewer than 320 professional games – veteran exempt player
  • A maximum of five skaters that have played over 320 professional games – veteran players
Brisebois 276 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
Wolanin 266 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
Twarysnki 298 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
John Stevens, Sammy Blais and PDG are well over the 320 games played.
I also forgot about the new kid. Erik Brannstrom is 350 plus AHL and NHL games also.

The roster breakdown applies to players that dress for each game, so it is possible to have more than five veterans on the roster, but only five can play on any given night. The veteran and veteran exempt classification only applies to players 25 years of age or older or as of July 1.
I saw this in an article, but it isn't an accurate description of the rule. It wouldn't make sense for a development league to require a team play someone with over 320 games over someone with 260.

It has been well explained in this thread, but I dug this up from the AHL web page at Frequently Asked Questions

Of the eighteen (18) skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least thirteen (13) must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, twelve (12) must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Note that the rule doesn't restrict the number of non-development players on the team roster, just the number that can dress for any one game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The amount of bodies on defense is just WTF and can't possibly be good for any of the prospects there we're hoping to develop.

I was really hoping some other team would take a flyer on Brannstrom via waivers.

Just too many veteran AHLers for my liking. Brisebois, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Friedman, and Woo to an extent. Good luck to Pettersson, Felton, Kudryavtsev who will probably be rotated in and out of the lineup.

Can Ahac and Hirose be sent to the ECHL?

Reactions: God

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I was really hoping some other team would take a flyer on Brannstrom via waivers.

Just too many veteran AHLers for my liking. Brisebois, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Friedman, and Woo to an extent. Good luck to Pettersson, Felton, Kudryavtsev who will probably be rotated in and out of the lineup.

Can Ahac and Hirose be sent to the ECHL?
I think that Ahac can be sent to the ECHL, as he's on an AHL contract. I believe that Hirose can't be sent down without his permission, unless I'm wrong in believing that he's already through his ELC.

It seems pretty clear that Ahac is at least an AHL player, so it'd be a bummer for him to get a demotion, but surely something will be done in the next couple of weeks to reduce the crowd.

Perhaps Briseboise, Hirose, and McWard will all be given more time to get up to speed after coming off injuries. But even that wouldn't eliminate the numbers problem.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I think that Ahac can be sent to the ECHL, as he's on an AHL contract. I believe that Hirose can't be sent down without his permission, unless I'm wrong in believing that he's already through his ELC.

It seems pretty clear that Ahac is at least an AHL player, so it'd be a bummer for him to get a demotion, but surely something will be done in the next couple of weeks to reduce the crowd.

Perhaps Briseboise, Hirose, and McWard will all be given more time to get up to speed after coming off injuries. But even that wouldn't eliminate the numbers problem.
You are correct. Any player on a post-ELC contract with an NHL club has to give his consent to being loaned to an ECHL squad. ELCers and AHLers such as Ahac can be sent there unilaterally.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The amount of bodies on defense is just WTF and can't possibly be good for any of the prospects there we're hoping to develop.

Right now it's 11. Good chance that one will be subtracted as an eighth defenceman for Vancouver at some point. Can loan Ahac to the ECHL. Gotta have some doubts about Brisebois re: concussion. There will be injuries and callups. And a guy like Hirose (and I'm guessing Felton, too) will be used as depth and won't be playing ahead of the younger prospects unless those kids flail.

Are you forking over the $200 for FloHockey? At first I thought, no way... but I'm getting, um, itchy. I'm asking myself, am I really going to watch much NCAA or SHL? This is why people cut cable, getting stuck with a package of channels that they have no interest in watching {ECHL, SPHL (!!), USHL, Junior A}.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Right now it's 11. Good chance that one will be subtracted as an eighth defenceman for Vancouver at some point. Can loan Ahac to the ECHL. Gotta have some doubts about Brisebois re: concussion. There will be injuries and callups. And a guy like Hirose (and I'm guessing Felton, too) will be used as depth and won't be playing ahead of the younger prospects unless those kids flail.

Are you forking over the $200 for FloHockey? At first I thought, no way... but I'm getting, um, itchy. I'm asking myself, am I really going to watch much NCAA or SHL? This is why people cut cable, getting stuck with a package of channels that they have no interest in watching {ECHL, SPHL (!!), USHL, Junior A}.

I'm not sure right now.

Paying $60 or whatever it was just for Abbotsford games was manageable. Paying $200 for a whole bunch of stuff I don't care about/don't have time to watch is just a waste.

I'll see how much FOMO I get in the first week or two and then decide, I think.

This seems like a terrible decision for the AHL to make that will greatly cut down on the amount of people viewing their games.

Reactions: Blue and Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad