Player Discussion Aatu Raty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I've been pumping his tires since before we traded for him and was shitting my pants that he was gonna get traded for a rental. A lot of people ignored the fact that he at one point was considered a possible 1st overall. No matter how that played out it doesn't change the fact that his talent drew that much praise.

I remember a scout who posts on HF did a deep dive on him and showed that even when his stock plummeted it was a complicated scenario, some self inflicted, some not. Anyways he talked about how when you peeled back his D-1 season despite little production the underlying numbers painted a much rosier picture and he had what he called historically bad luck, to go along with a bad fit on the team he was on.
Things got a lot better the following year but he came over and had a hard time adjusting to the AHL, which the article pointed out that he tends to take awhile to adjust to knew situations.

We all saw his last half of the season in Abby where he had clearly adjusted and played very well but it was clear from rookie camp on that he had clearly taken another big step, especially his skating.

Man imagine he ends up 2c quality as a 3c and all of a sudden Hronek and Raty and a 4th (acquired for Beauvilier) for Horvat and a 2nd is looking like a franchise altering deal.
He's following the Manny Malhotra career arc. I hope he can continue to build on this. Quality 3Cs are hard to come by.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pretty surprised to see how strong he is at faceoffs for a 21 year old. 14 out of 18 wins are elite numbers for the stronger veteran two way centers. His defensive play means he can easily slot into a bottom six center job.
Going to be tough this year though with the depth in the forward group unless there are injuries.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pretty surprised to see how strong he is at faceoffs for a 21 year old. 14 out of 18 wins are elite numbers for the stronger veteran two way centers. His defensive play means he can easily slot into a bottom six center job.
Going to be tough this year though with the depth in the forward group unless there are injuries.
He had a strong night in the circle for sure but it is pre-season. Still it is clear from Tocchet's post-game that he very much noticed Raty in a good way and his faceoffs was one of those things. Also really loves how hard he is working in every drill, practice, scrimmage and game. Raty has come to camp to make the team. He's one of those guys who if he doesn't make it out of camp he will be brought up at some point and likely never see the AHL again. The question is can he continue to improve to be more than a 4th line center or bottom 6 winger. Can he be a strong third line center?

Reactions: Vector

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
Saw this kid play a few games live during abby road games. He looks completely different this year.

I think he’s realizing he needed to take his game to the next level and it’s really showing. Hope he gets a shot, would be another excellent trade if he works out!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Saw this kid play a few games live during abby road games. He looks completely different this year.

I think he’s realizing he needed to take his game to the next level and it’s really showing. Hope he gets a shot, would be another excellent trade if he works out!

That play where he dangled a defender and looked like he'd be through on goal before getting tripped was something I'd seen ... literally never, in probably 80 viewings over the past two years.

Offensively he has a good feel for finding seams in defenses and getting his good shot away and is a pretty solid tape-to-tape passer (like the 2nd assist last night) but I've never seen an iota of 'dangerous stickhandling on the rush'. Was an interesting development to see a very confident play like that, likely coming off some improved skating.

Reactions: Vector

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
1727282025326.jpeg

Why do I keep hearing his name and think it's this guy playing?

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m having a hard time finding a centerman as smart and well rounded as Raty currently is at 21.

Whether he starts in the AHL or he makes the team, I think he’s poised to have a big season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Should he continue his strong play (obviously not a given) it will be interesting to see whether they'd waive Aman or PDG and keep Raty as the pressbox 13th forward or whether they'd preserve the Aman/PDG asset and send Raty down to keep getting consistent game action.

He and Aman are in pretty direct competition and Raty won that battle by a country mile last night.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Based on a sample size of 1 preseason game, Aman hasnt progressed much/any from last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad