Player Discussion Aatu Raty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I like him. A rich man's Lammikko where Raty is much younger and has a ton more room to grow?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
3rd line Floor 2nd line C ceiling. With our top 10 pick this year and a mid first we could very easily draft an another C and that would give us a very young, middle of the lineup for the next Decade.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
He’s a Klimovich level prospect with a little more structure. Should not be playing in Vancouver this year for sure.
Yeah, two months older and scoring at basically the same rate. I’m sure he’s got a more well rounded game but with that context doesn’t seem like much to get excited about.

decma

Feb 6, 2013
He's a young player for his draft. Was a true 19 year old in the Liiga, and just turned 20 a few months ago.

He's probably half a year behind other 20 year olds in terms of development, and in addition, his AHL team is not the greatest, so I think his production is about on par with a "good" prospect. He's a safe bet to be a top 9 player as he has size, skating and a defensive mindset.

But I suspect the Canucks braintrust see him as a blue chip prospect, otherwise the trade is a bit meh.

With a November birthday, I think he was old for his draft, not young.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Scott Wheeler projects him with the usefully vague "top 9 NHL forward". Here's a blurb from his evaluation (written just a few weeks ago):

He may not become a star, but he’s got pro tools (including size, quick hands, and a decently hard though at times overrated shot). Slowly but surely he has learned to hang onto the puck when necessary and play quick when required. He’s not smart enough to drive a line by himself or make plays when he’s less involved, so linemates will play a factor in his success, but on the whole, and with the right development, I believe he’ll provide value as a No. 52 pick.​
That doesn’t read well

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Surprised we got him for a pending UFA Horvat along with a 1st. I really like this kid and think he's going to be an NHLer for a long time. I truly believe that if he keeps on the path he's on there is no way he's included in a rental package a year from now. This could end up being a real good get by the team.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even if he's a B level prospect that projects more like #3C than a top six guy, the Canucks could certainly use a good young #3C moving forward. Not like we have much C prospect depth regardless.

To be clear, I’m not saying I don’t like Raty it that he isn’t useful. He’s instantly the best C prospect in the system by a mile.

I just don’t view him as a 2C and think he projects more as a bottom-6 type. And as the premium young asset coming back for a player of Horvat’s caliber, that’s pretty underwhelming.

If we got Raty back for Schenn, that would be getting a major thumbs up from me.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Raty in a vacuum is not enough of a return for Horvat. If he tops out as a good 3C, that is one that this organisation has tried to acquire for a long time. and one on a ELC. I just hope the fans wont clutter his value as the prime return for Horvat, the prize is the pick. I am looking forward to watching if Raty will be the long term solution to our checking line center with adequate offense, the tools are there, just need to improve his plodding skating right now.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Raty in a vacuum is not enough of a return for Horvat. If he tops out as a good 3C, that is one that this organisation has tried to acquire for a long time. and one on a ELC. I just hope the fans wont clutter his value as the prime return for Horvat, the prize is the pick. I am looking forward to watching if Raty will be the long term solution to our checking line center with adequate offense, the tools are there, just need to improve his plodding skating right now.

If we get a high end 3C, a top 4 defenseman (the pick), and maybe a another decent player (either Beau or whoever we get for him when we trade him) then I’d say we did okay.
To be clear, I’m not saying I don’t like Raty it that he isn’t useful. He’s instantly the best C prospect in the system by a mile.

I just don’t view him as a 2C and think he projects more as a bottom-6 type. And as the premium young asset coming back for a player of Horvat’s caliber, that’s pretty underwhelming.

If we got Raty back for Schenn, that would be getting a major thumbs up from me.

He’s still NYIs top prospect. To get that along with a 2023 1st and a young replacement level player and I’d say we did okay. I don’t think it was realistic to expect much more.

Reactions: Jay26

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Differentiating between a 2C or 3C is something that sounds important on paper but there are so many ranges within those spots that it doesn't really matter. A high-end 3C would immediately be the 3rd most important forward on this roster and if Raty can be a long-term answer there then this deal will be a home run as those guys are hard to find without overpaying.

But he's no sure thing. I see the floor for Raty as a guy who just flamed out here in Jason Dickinson. Bottom-six "center" with decent size who you would probably rather see on the wing.

I think his ceiling is a bit underrated here though.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Sounds like they really believe Raty has another level and the investment they made in the dev system or maybe just the twins will be able to help him take that step.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Happy to get a C with upside back in the deal. Don't expect Raty to end up a top line guy, but that's fine. The roster needs 2 way centers in the middle of the lineup, and Raty hopefully will be able to contribute in that role while still on his ELC.

Be a good test of the current regime's scouting. Benning would have talked about their pre-draft evaluations. Hopefully JR and Allvin will lean more heavily on what he's done post-draft.

Like him in Abby playing with Hoglander, Podz, or Klimovich for the next while anyway.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
they pivoted away from acquiring a young D in favor of him, so they must value him higher than most. Now the islanders pick will most likely have to be a organisational need pick. Lets hope they pick Sergachev instead of Juolevi this time around. Hey we can hope for a McAvoy too right?

I dont want to think about his ceiling because I've been spurned too much with their non slam dunk prospects. I think he is an NHL player already with Lammikko type talent.

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Differentiating between a 2C or 3C is something that sounds important on paper but there are so many ranges within those spots that it doesn't really matter. A high-end 3C would immediately be the 3rd most important forward on this roster and if Raty can be a long-term answer there then this deal will be a home run as those guys are hard to find without overpaying.

But he's no sure thing. I see the floor for Raty as a guy who just flamed out here in Jason Dickinson. Bottom-six "center" with decent size who you would probably rather see on the wing.

I think his ceiling is a bit underrated here though.

The floor for Raty is ‘not an NHL player’. Probably half of the guys in his rough prospect level don’t pan into NHL players.

Reactions: Hodgy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad